A US judge should reject a settlement BP (LSE: BP.L - news) has reached with the US government over the Gulf of Mexico oil spill and increase the size of its fine to $45bn (£28bn), according to the father of one of the 11 workers killed.
Billy Fred Anderson, whose son died on the Deepwater Horizon rig when it exploded in April (Paris: FR0004037125 - news) 2010, alleged that BP "killed my son in their efforts to speed up operations, to save time and money".
Mr Anderson gave his view to in a filing in a New Orleans court on Tuesday under a law that allows victims to comment on criminal plea deals that are reached with the Department of Justice.
The UK energy company last month reached an agreement to pay $4.5bn in fines and pleaded guilty to 11 felony charges of manslaughter over the death of the men. Further submissions from the victims' families are expected before US District Judge Sarah Vance considers the plea deal on January 29.
Mr Anderson alleges his son told him that "if BP continues to change procedures at the last minute to save time and money, even though we have told them it is not safe, they will end up killing us all".
Besides last month's settlement, BP has already agreed a $7.8bn deal with businesses and individuals whose livelihoods were damaged by America's worst offshore oil spill. However, unless the company reaches a third settlement, it will still face a civil trial in February to determine responsibility for the spill.
Government prosecutors have accused the company of gross negligence over the spill, a charge that brings heftier fines. BP has always denied the charge.
Mr Anderson also said that as families of the victims they have not received any financial compensation from the FTSE-listed company.
In a statement, BP said: “As BP noted in announcing its plea, the company regrets the tragic loss of life caused by the Deepwater Horizon accident as well as the impact of the spill on the Gulf coast region.
"From the outset, BP stepped up by responding to the spill, paying legitimate claims and funding restoration efforts in the Gulf. We apologize for our role in the accident, and as the company’s resolution with the U.S. government further reflects, we have accepted responsibility for our actions.”