- EU mergers and takeovers (March 11) Reuters - UK Focus - 5 hours ago
The following are mergers under review by the European Commission and a brief guide to the EU merger process: APPROVALS AND WITHDRAWALS -- Rio Tinto's sale of its majority stake in Australia's third-largest ...
- Profit-taking drags Wall Street lower Reuters - 5 hours ago
- World equities flat, gold edges up on Ukraine, China Reuters - 5 hours ago
Major world equity markets were mildly negative on Tuesday, the euro edged down and gold rose as traders kept an eye on tensions between Ukraine and Russia and the pace of growth in China. Credit market investors, meanwhile, were jumping all over Puerto Rico's $3.5 billion (2.1 billion pounds) municipal bond sale, which …
- Market report: Reckitt jumps on acquisition talk Telegraph - 6 hours ago
Analysts at Bank of America reckon the group has £12bn in "firepower" for acquisitions
- GLOBAL MARKETS-World equities flat, gold edges up on Ukraine, China Reuters - UK Focus - 7 hours ago
Germany gets data boost * Puerto Rico bond sale brings in tons of investors * China growth worries hit materials prices NEW YORK (Frankfurt: HX6.F - news) , March 11 (Reuters) - Major world equity markets were mildly negative on Tuesday, the euro edged down and gold rose as traders kept an eye on tensions between Ukraine …
- Market overview: FTSE closes down four points at 6,686 Sharecast - 9 hours ago
1630: Close UK stocks eased back from earlier losses to end today's session only just in the red, amid concerns over Ukraine, banking woes, and poor UK retail sales data. Geopolitical tensions were ongoing ...
- ECB to take tough stance in bank health check Reuters - UK Focus - 9 hours ago
* ECB releases 285-page manual for asset quality review FRANKFURT, March 11 (Reuters) - The European Central Bank (ECB) will press banks to revalue their assets and take a more realistic view on likely losses when it probes their balance sheets in coming months, signalling a new, more aggressive era of banking supervision …
- Standard Chartered non-exec builds company holding after profit decline Sharecast - 9 hours ago
A round-up of the biggest director deals today so far.
- FTSE 250 movers: Inchcape rises on strong annual results Sharecast - 10 hours ago
Inchcape delivered record annual results as the car dealership enjoyed buoyant demand for luxury vehicles.
- Sector movers: Tyman results give construction stocks a lift Sharecast - 10 hours ago
Building products firm Tyman gave the construction and materials sector a big boost on Tuesday after the company impressed with its 2013 results.
- Italy Treasury asks banks to prepare new inflation-linked BTPEI Reuters - UK Focus - 15 hours ago
Italy's Treasury on Tuesday asked five banks to prepare the sale of a new 10-year BTPEI, a bond linked to the euro zone inflation rate, a statement said. The Treasury said the sale would take place "in ...
- EMERGING MARKETS-Stocks up as China rebounds; Ukraine debt slides Reuters - UK Focus - 15 hours ago
Geopolitical tension in Ukraine has also hit broader markets. "Ukraine has been dominating the landscape and emerging market moves, but now we are in a passage where the situation is stuck and the market needs to move forward," said Regis Chatellier, emerging markets strategist at Societe Generale (Paris: FR0000130809 …
- STOCKS NEWS EUROPE-K+S rises as Societe Generale says "buy" Reuters - UK Focus - 16 hours ago
Shares in German potash miner K+S rise 0.7 percent, being one of the top gainers in the blue-chip DAX index after Societe Generale initiates coverage of the stock with a "buy" recommendation, ...
- London open: Stocks edge higher ahead of UK data Sharecast - 16 hours ago
FTSE 100 up after hitting lowest since February 14th; Mark Carney, UK data in focus; Inchcape up after record results.
- Why I’m Buying Rio Tinto plc And BHP Billiton plc Fool.co.uk - 17 hours ago
I'm buying Rio Tinto plc (LON:RIO) and BHP Billiton (LON:BLT) on the down-cycle
- European shares rise early; miners halt sell-off Reuters - UK Focus - 17 hours ago
European shares rose in early trade on Tuesday, reversing some of the previous session's losses, helped in part by robust German imports and exports data. The Federal Statistics Office reported Germany's ...
- US close: Stocks finish lower after China data, Plosser comments Sharecast - 19 hours ago
S&P 500 pulls back from record high; China, Japan data weighs on sentiment; Plosser assesses speed of tapering.
- BHP iron ore chief says sees $80 iron price too low Reuters - UK Focus - 21 hours ago
BHP Billiton said forecasts for iron ore prices to fall as low as $80 a tonne appeared low, despite the market moving into oversupply this year. "Our view is that the long term is robust. We are in ...
- Market overview: Barclays slips below technical support Sharecast - Tue, Mar 11, 2014 00:52 GMT
1248: Shares of Barclays are the largest percentage faller now on the Footsie, after yesterday having lost a level of technical support at around 247p. Today they are also trading below the 50 per cent ...
- Tuesday broker round-up UPDATE Sharecast - Tue, Mar 11, 2014 00:43 GMT
Aviva: RBC Capital takes target price from 400p to 550p upgrading to neutral. Nomura increases target price from 489p to 625p and reiterates a buy recommendation.
- China concerns hit commodities, little collateral damage as yet Reuters - Mon, Mar 10, 2014 23:48 GMT
Asian markets were set for another tense session on Tuesday as worries about China's economy continue to reverberate, taking a particularly hard toll on commodity prices. Investors will be nervously watching Chinese money markets and the yuan for any evidence the People's Bank of China (PBOC) is engineering an easing in …
- Hinkley Point decision delay is no surprise given the history Telegraph - Mon, Mar 10, 2014 21:36 GMT
The EC has made it clear that many key details of the contract are simply not yet finalised
- Markets hold breath as China's shadow banking grinds to a halt Telegraph - Mon, Mar 10, 2014 19:47 GMT
Fresh loans in China’s shadow banking system evaporated to almost nothing from $160bn in January
- FOREX-Dollar steady on U.S. jobs view, Aussie falls on Chinese data Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Mar 10, 2014 19:15 GMT
* Weak Chinese trade data knock Australian dollar * Ukraine worries contained, may flare up on troop moves NEW YORK (Frankfurt: HX6.F - news) , March 10 (Reuters) - The U.S. dollar was little changed against major currencies on Monday, supported by hopes U.S. job growth would pick up in the wake of last week's mildly …
- Market report: BAT rises on deal hopes Telegraph - Mon, Mar 10, 2014 19:00 GMT
BAT shares boosted by hopes it will take full control of Reynolds American
- GLOBAL MARKETS-World stocks, copper, oil decline after weak China export data Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Mar 10, 2014 18:41 GMT
* Mining (LSE: MIR.L - news) stocks hit by Chinese trade data NEW YORK (Frankfurt: HX6.F - news) , March 10 (Reuters) - Global stock indexes fell and the prices of copper and oil sank on Monday after surprisingly weak Chinese trade data added to worries about a slowdown in the world's second-largest economy. China's exports …
- US midday: Miners lead falls after Chinese data Sharecast - Mon, Mar 10, 2014 17:56 GMT
Plosser: Fed could fall well behind the curve, Chinese data weighs on equities, Miners lead falls
- GLOBAL MARKETS-World stocks, copper and oil fall after weak China exports Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Mar 10, 2014 17:17 GMT
World stock indexes fell and the prices of copper and oil sank on Monday after surprisingly weak Chinese trade data added to worries about a slowdown in the world's second-largest economy. China's exports ...
- Miners and Vodafone drag down UK's FTSE to 3-week low Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Mar 10, 2014 17:10 GMT
* FTSE 100 closes down 0.4 pct at 6,689.45 points LONDON, March 10 (Reuters) - Britain's top equity index fell to its lowest closing level since mid-February on Monday, dragged down by major mining stocks and telecoms group Vodafone . The blue-chip FTSE 100 index closed down by 0.4 percent, or 23.22 points, at 6,689.45 …
- London close: Miners drag as Chinese data weighs sentiment Sharecast - Mon, Mar 10, 2014 17:00 GMT
- FTSE closes down 23.22 at 6,689.45
- Market overview: FTSE 100 closes down 23 at 6,689 Sharecast - Mon, Mar 10, 2014 16:58 GMT
1630:Close It was a negative finish for the FTSE today, dragged lower by miners on the back of poor Asian data, although gains were partially offset by a strong performance by Rolls-Royce and British American ...
- Ukraine tensions and China weakness hit European shares Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Mar 10, 2014 16:06 GMT
European shares fell for the second session running on Monday, hit by tensions between Russia and Ukraine and weak economic data from the world's second-largest economy, China. Most European indexes swung ...
- New spat emerges in South Africa's platinum strike Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Mar 10, 2014 15:44 GMT
A public spat emerged on Monday between South Africa's labour mediator and the Chamber of Mines over the former's handling of talks to end an almost seven-week strike in the platinum sector, further dashing hopes of any breakthrough. Tens of thousands of members of the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union …
- FTSE 250 movers: Savills climbs on reports of partnership deal Sharecast - Mon, Mar 10, 2014 15:38 GMT
Savills rose on the news the real estate advisor had agreed a new partnership with McGuire Real Estate, the San Francisco-based real estate brokerage.
- Drops in mining stocks and Vodafone drag down UK's FTSE Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Mar 10, 2014 15:30 GMT
Britain's top equity index fell to its lowest level since mid-February on Monday, dragged lower by major mining stocks and telecoms group Vodafone. The blue-chip FTSE 100 index was down by 0.5 percent, or 31.30 points, at 6,681.37 points in late-session trading. Major mining stocks such as Glencore Xstrata (Other OTC: …