- Market Chatter-Corporate finance press digest Reuters - 2 hours 59 minutes ago
May 22 (Reuters) - The following corporate finance-related stories were reported by media on Wednesday: * Australia's Westfield Group is in talks to sell seven U.S. shopping malls to private real estate ...
- Dimon clings to JPMorgan chairman title, after fight Reuters - 3 hours ago
By David Henry TAMPA, Florida (Reuters) - Jamie Dimon, chairman and chief executive of JPMorgan Chase & Co (JPM.N) took an unusual step to fight off investors seeking more oversight of his activities - ...
- Australia shares inch higher on Wall St, banks weak Reuters - UK Focus - 6 hours ago
Australian shares inched 0.1 percent higher on Wednesday, led by blue-chip miners after comments from two voting U.S. Federal Reserve presidents eased fears the Fed was contemplating an imminent cut in ...
- Risk of vicious circle for gold as hedging returns Telegraph - 13 hours ago
The curse of hedging that blighted gold in the 1990s is making a comeback, and threatens to loom over the market like Banquo's ghost.
- London close: Stocks surge as earnings impress, inflation eases Sharecast - 15 hours ago
Well-received results from a number of FTSE 100 heavyweights and a sharp drop in consumer-price inflation in the UK lifted London's benchmark index to fresh multiyear highs on Tuesday.
- UK lawmakers to probe transparency of oil, mining firms Reuters - UK Focus - 16 hours ago
Britain's parliament is to probe UK-based mining and oil firms, delving into areas such as transparency and disclosure after troubles at two mining companies burnt some investors' fingers. Parliament's ...
- FTSE 100 movers: Carnival dives on profit warning Sharecast - 17 hours ago
Cruise ship operator Carnival, the world's largest, took a hit after it issued a brutal profit warning overnight for its full-year earnings per share, primarily as a result of lower net revenue yield expectations ...
- Rubber bullets fired at S.African mine strikers, several hurt Reuters - UK Focus - 17 hours ago
Ten striking South African miners were taken to hospital on Tuesday after being hit by rubber bullets, police said, as labour strife spread ahead of mid-year pay negotiations. As well as the violence at ...
- UK watchdog warns cement makers over lack of competition Reuters - UK Focus - 18 hours ago
Britain's dominant cement makers could be forced to sell off plants to tackle a lack of competition which regulators say has cost customers hundreds of millions of pounds. The Competition Commission said ...
- Rubber bullets fired at South African mine strikers, several hurt Reuters - 20 hours ago
CAPE TOWN (Reuters) - Ten striking South African miners were taken to hospital on Tuesday after being hit by rubber bullets, police said, as labour strife swells in mines and factories ahead of mid-year ...
- US bond market tone mixed before Fed speeches Reuters - UK Focus - 20 hours ago
By John Balassi May 21 - Market tone is mixed early on Tuesday, but the pace of US high-grade issuance is still expected to pick up after yesterday's relatively tame USD2.35bn in new supply. Today's session ...
- Miners, outsourcers keep Britain's FTSE at 12-year highs Reuters - UK Focus - 21 hours ago
Rallying miners and a contract win for outsourcing company Capita helped steady the FTSE 100 by midday on Tuesday despite weakness in travel firms after disappointing results from Carnival. By 1011 GMT, ...
- Tuesday broker round-up UPDATE Sharecast - 21 hours ago
Antofagasta: Canaccord Genuity reduces target price from 1065p to 1040p, while leaving its hold recommendation unchanged.
- London open: Markets hold on to 12-year highs Sharecast - 23 hours ago
Markets were trading within a narrow range on Tuesday morning after finishing at 12-year highs the day before, as traders consider how much further the impressive year-to-date rally has to go.
- UK competition watchdog may force cement makers to sell plants Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, May 21, 2013 09:02 BST
Britain's competition regulator may force major cement producers to sell plants as part of efforts to break open the country's cement market, after finding a limited number of players was likely to be ...
- Tuesday tips round-up: ENRC,Ocado Group, MITIE Sharecast - Tue, May 21, 2013 08:19 BST
While it may be true that ENRC may be worth more as a privately held company than as a listed concern minority owners deserve more than the 260p per share offered by the group's founding oligarchs and ...
- Gloom hits services firms as Australia's mining boom peaks Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, May 21, 2013 06:00 BST
A spate of profit warnings from Australian mining services firms suggests the country's "once-in-a-century" resources spending boom may have peaked sooner than companies, economists and policymakers ...
- 3 Things To Love About Rio Tinto plc Fool.co.uk - Tue, May 21, 2013 06:00 BST
There are things to love and loathe about most companies. Today, I'm going to tell you about three things to love about Rio Tinto . I'll also be asking whether these positive factors make this FTSE 100 ...
- Mondi welcomes new joint Chairman Sharecast - Tue, May 21, 2013 01:43 BST
Mondi, the international packaging and paper group, has appointed Frederik Phaswana as its joint Chairman as of June 1st, replacing Cyril Ramaphosa who stepped down at the start of this month.
- Wall Street ends flat on correction worries Reuters - Mon, May 20, 2013 22:15 BST
- ENRC shares fall after rejecting bid Telegraph - Mon, May 20, 2013 21:55 BST
Shares in beleaguered miner ENRC fell almost 3pc on Monday after independent directors formally dismissed a lower than expected sighting shot.
- Lamprell slips on broker downgrades Telegraph - Mon, May 20, 2013 20:14 BST
The oil rig maker was hit by a double-whammy of analyst downgrades.
- London close: Footsie closes at 12 year highs Sharecast - Mon, May 20, 2013 18:50 BST
The FTSE 100 managed to close Monday's session moderately higher, albeit at 12 year highs, after rising by 33 points to the 6,756 point mark.
- Market overview: Strong finish for FTSE Sharecast - Mon, May 20, 2013 18:14 BST
1630: Close The FTSE has settled at a new five-and-a-half-year high after a volatile session. The gains were driven by a strong performance from RBS after Numis raised its target price from 308p to 410p, ...
- FTSE 100 movers: RBS makes strong gains on Numis note Sharecast - Mon, May 20, 2013 18:14 BST
Royal Bank of Scotland was in the lead after Numis raised its target price from 308p to 410p, while upgrading the stock to buy.
- London midday: Footsie flat as miners dampen earlier gains Sharecast - Mon, May 20, 2013 18:13 BST
The FTSE 100 had erased its early-morning gains by Monday lunchtime, as strong performances by easyJet and RBS were offset by heavy falls in the mining sector.
- Europe close: Investors sit tight ahead of economic data Sharecast - Mon, May 20, 2013 18:08 BST
- Investors hold out for economic data in US, UK and Europe
- Week ahead: Investors awaiting UK data deluge Sharecast - Mon, May 20, 2013 17:46 BST
Some economists are fond of reminding clients every now and again that there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.
- 3 Cheap FTSE 100 Growth Shares: Petrofac Limited, BHP Billiton plc And Standard Chartered PLC Fool.co.uk - Mon, May 20, 2013 17:35 BST
Petrofac Petrofac is an energy services firm with a first-class growth record. Since 2007, sales, earnings per share (EPS) and dividends per share at the company have grown year-in, year-out. In the last ...
- South African worker demands roil shares, rand Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, May 20, 2013 17:20 BST
South Africa's rand hit new four-year lows on Monday after Mercedes Benz said workers at an assembly plant had staged an illegal strike and the government-allied union demanded big wage hikes for coal ...
- FTSE 250 movers: FirstGroup plunges after cancelling dividend Sharecast - Mon, May 20, 2013 17:17 BST
Transport firm FirstGroup led the fallers after cancelling its final dividend as it restructured its balance sheet and refinanced after a year in which operating profits halved. In results announced two ...
- Tuesday preview: M&S and Vodafone report Sharecast - Mon, May 20, 2013 16:41 BST
Marks & Spencer (M&S) and Vodafone are expected to make waves Tuesday when they release their full-year results.
- Monday broker round-up UPDATE Sharecast - Mon, May 20, 2013 16:07 BST
Alent: Credit Suisse initiates with a target price of 430p and an outperform rating.
- A Closer Look At BHP Billiton Plc's Dividend Potential Fool.co.uk - Mon, May 20, 2013 15:45 BST
Dividend income accounts for around two-thirds of total returns, the actual rate of return taking into account both capital and income appreciation. Given that share prices are often volatile and unpredictable, ...
- Zimbabwe mining chamber criticises minerals proposals Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, May 20, 2013 15:08 BST
Zimbabwe's mining chamber said tighter proposed state control over the sale of minerals would hit Anglo American Platinum and Impala Platinum Holdings Ltd, slow down foreign investment and stunt growth ...