- The lunch meetings at the heart of the Bank of England forex inquiry Telegraph - 2 hours 52 minutes ago
Bank of England to be questioned about foreign market manipulation fears.
- How Russia's conflict with Ukraine threatens vital European trade links Telegraph - 6 hours ago
Three years ago, Russia declared itself open for business. The situation looks very different now
- Plunging currencies sparks surge in Britons buying abroad Telegraph - 15 hours ago
Turkey, Thailand and South Africa are attracting buyers, while prices in familiar markets are stabilising
- Santander enters child accounts battle with 3pc rate Telegraph - 15 hours ago
The new 123 Mini, available for 11 to 18 year olds, pays a market-leading rate of up to 3pc interest tax-free
- Women in business mustn't be scared of adventure-BNP's Javary Reuters - UK Focus - 16 hours ago
Women in the world of finance must not be scared to look further afield if opportunities at their current employer dry up. It's a key lesson that Sophie Javary learned when she became pregnant early into a career in corporate banking, and found she was no longer on her employer's talent list and bonus scheme. "I became …
- US government probing three major French banks AFP - 18 hours ago
- CERAWEEK-North American shale not a sure thing for Big Oil Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 20:24 GMT
Oil and natural gas pumped from North American shale has boosted the fortunes of smaller energy firms, but the world's biggest oil companies, including and Exxon Mobil Corp, have been slower to realize the full potential of the prolific rock. In North America, the oil companies have broad exposure to profit-sapping natural …
- Spain struggles to pull together multibillion euro highway bail-out Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 18:33 GMT
The Spanish government is working against the clock to reach a deal with builders over a multibillion euro bail-out for nine bankrupt motorways which could directly hit the country's deficit. "We are still working with the government on this," said Julian Nunez, the chairman of Seopan, an association that represents Spanish …
- Lenders take control of LA fitness gyms Telegraph - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 18:17 GMT
Loss-making gym chain LA fitness has changed hands under a debt-for-equity swap and is also seeking to offload 33 clubs to secure its future
- Italy court acquits four international banks of fraud AFP - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 17:35 GMT
- All change in UK bank auditing industry Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 17:07 GMT
Barclays (LSE: BARC.L - news) is changing its auditor of the past 120 years and Lloyds and Royal Bank of Scotland could follow suit as Britain's bank auditing landscape gets shaken up by new rules. Britain is making listed companies put out their audit work to tender every 10 years and the European Union is forcing them …
- EURO DEBT SUPPLY-Ireland in first bond auction in three years Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 17:00 GMT
Ireland (Other OTC: IRLD - news) will be the main market focus in the primary euro zone debt market in the coming week with launch of its first bond auction since its 2010 international bailout. The first euro zone country to exit a European Union/International Monetary Fund bailout, Ireland said last month it was aiming …
- 3 Reasons To Give Barclays PLC The Heave-Ho Fool.co.uk - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 16:38 GMT
Royston Wild looks at why Barclays PLC (LON: BARC) could prove a dangerous stock selection.
- Soft touch FX regulation falls under harsh glare Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 16:21 GMT
In July 2006, during lunch at an upmarket restaurant overlooking the sprawling Smithfield meat market in the City of London (LSE: CIN.L - news) , Bank of England officials and senior bank dealers discussed evidence of potential manipulation of the foreign exchange market. It was two years before the issue was discussed …
- RBS hands shares worth up to $30.5 million to directors Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 15:57 GMT
* CEO McEwan granted share award worth up to 3 mln stg LONDON, March 7 (Reuters) - Part-nationalised Royal Bank of Scotland has handed shares worth up to 18.25 million pounds ($30.5 million) to directors under a long-term incentive plan, risking a political backlash. The bank, which is heavily loss-making and 81 percent-owned …
- RBS reveals board changes Sharecast - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 15:30 GMT
Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) has appointed Morten Friis as a Non-Executive Director effective on April 10th.
- FTSE 250 movers: Shaftesbury leads gains, African Barrick digs lower Sharecast - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 14:50 GMT
Shaftesbury rose strongly after it yesterday placed 25.25m shares at 620p each raising a total of 156.6m pounds. The group is using the proceeds to fund a property purchase and ongoing redevelopment schemes....
- Market overview: Pearson continues to bounce back Sharecast - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 14:50 GMT
1448: Shares of Pearson are in the lead on the Footsie after hitting technical support at 1,004 and going very deeply into so-called 'oversold'. However, they remain far below their 200-day moving average....
- London midday: Stocks pare losses as investors await US non-farm payrolls Sharecast - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 14:50 GMT
Markets await non-farm payrolls; 150k gain expected by analysts, jobless rate to hold steady; Broker comments move stocks amid lack of earnings; Heavyweight miners fall.
- Alliance Trust warns of risks of Scottish independence Telegraph - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 14:14 GMT
One of Britain's biggest investment trusts has registered new companies in England as it warns over the 'uncertainty' created by the Scottish independence referendum
- Citigroup and Alliance Trust warn on Scottish independence Telegraph - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 14:09 GMT
Alliance Trust sets up England-based companies to counter fears over Scottish referendum, while Citigroup say independent Scotland would have same credit rating as South Korea while
- Alliance Trust sets up English companies ahead of Scotland vote Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 13:28 GMT
Alliance Trust Plc, a Scotland-based investment manager, has begun preparations for a possible move to England ahead of the Scottish independence referendum, adding to evidence of corporate unease over the looming vote. The comments by Alliance Trust, based in Dundee on Scotland's east coast and which employs around 250 …
- Appeals court acquits banks in Milan derivatives case Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 13:08 GMT
A Milan appeals court has acquitted four international banks, including JPMorgan and UBS (Xetra: UB0BL6 - news) , found guilty in an earlier trial of mis-selling derivatives to the city of Milan. Depfa Bank, Deutsche Bank (Xetra: DBK.DE - news) , JPMorgan and UBS had appealed against a landmark verdict from December 2012 …
- Commercial property investors in UK say no to Brexit -survey Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 12:27 GMT
The bulk of investors in Britain's 53 billion pound ($90 billion) commercial property market are opposed to the country leaving the European Union as it could force business tenants to re-evaluate their British presence, according to a survey. Over 60 percent of 387 investors - including some of the largest sovereign wealth …
- Friday broker round-up UPDATE Sharecast - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 11:55 GMT
AGA Rangemaster: N+1 Singer ups target price from 175p to 192p and maintains a buy recommendation.
- EU lawmakers to study bonus rule as banks take evasive action Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 11:43 GMT
* European Parliament has power to veto new rule LONDON, March 7 (Reuters) - European Union lawmakers will consider toughening up the bloc's cap on bankers' bonuses after lenders have begun softening its impact by awarding extra "allowances" to top up fixed pay. Sharon Bowles, the British Liberal Democrat chair of the …
- Barclays lifts Aviva target, but stock 'no longer cheap' Sharecast - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 11:17 GMT
Barclays has lifted its target price for insurance group Aviva from 380p to 415p after the company beat expectations with its annual results, though the bank still kept an 'underweight' recommendation ...
- Aggreko beats forecasts but UBS cuts target on FX headwinds Sharecast - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 11:10 GMT
Temporary power and temperature control firm Aggreko was pulling back slightly on Friday after strong gains the day before as UBS lowered its price target for the stock on the back of currency movements ...
- Nationwide CoCo blow-out spurs UK bank capital plans Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 10:32 GMT
* Other UK lenders seek Nationwide (LSE: CCDS.L - news) 's advice * CCDS follow-up marks largest sterling capital trade since Lehman LONDON, March 7 (IFR) - UK banks are plotting capital trades in their home currency market after Nationwide this week sold the largest such deal since the collapse of Lehman, unearthing …
- Lloyds Banking Group PLC Bashes Its Banking Rivals Fool.co.uk - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 10:16 GMT
Lloyds Banking Group plc (LON: LLOY) has bashed its rivals but Harvey Jones says future growth won't be quite as fierce.
- Sterling steadies after ECB surprise, outlook mixed Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 09:58 GMT
Sterling steadied against the euro on Friday near a three-week low struck after the European Central Bank stopped short of easing policy further, adding to an increasingly muddy outlook for the pound after six strong months. Sterling gained 0.2 percent against the dollar to $1.6748 in early trade. Paul Robson, a strategist …
- Why Tesco PLC Should Be A Candidate For Your 2014 ISA Fool.co.uk - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 09:44 GMT
Tesco PLC (LON: TSCO) could provide a solid cornerstone for your investments.
- London open: Stocks slip as investors await US jobs data Sharecast - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 09:38 GMT
Markets await non-farm payrolls; 150k gain expected by analysts, jobless rate to hold steady; Lack of corporate earnings; HSBC, Vodafone fall on broker comments.
- How Safe Is Your Money In Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc? Fool.co.uk - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 09:18 GMT
Is Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc (LON:RBS) now strong enough to cope with a run of bad financial luck?
- STOCKS NEWS EUROPE-Krones leads German mid caps on UBS upgrade Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 7, 2014 09:11 GMT
Shares in Krones rise as much as 8.7 percent to the top of Frankfurt's mid-cap index and hit their highest level since September 2013, after UBS upgrades the maker of process and packaging technology to ...