- 20,000 apprenticeships promised in week celebrating the training schemes Telegraph - 6 hours ago
From corporate giant to SMEs, companies across Britain are recognising the worth of apprenticeships and pledging to creat more of them
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn Reuters - UK Focus - 17 hours ago
* UNWTO sees arrivals up by 4-4.5 pct in 2014 BERLIN, March 6 (Reuters) - The outlook for the global travel industry looks brighter for 2014 as European economic recovery and rising consumer confidence are prompting holidaymakers and businesses to loosen their purse strings again. Growth is still unevenly spread across …
- London close: Stocks glide higher amid multiple data and corporate releases Sharecast - 19 hours ago
Focus on BoE and ECB decision; Aviva leads risers; US jobless numbers come in below consensus
- Acquisition costs dent Cineworld earnings Reuters - UK Focus - 21 hours ago
Cineworld Group Plc (LSE: CINE.L - news) reported a 19 percent drop in pretax earnings for 2013 as a result of costs related to acquisitions including Poland's Cinema City group, a deal that made it Europe's second-biggest operator of movie theatres. Revenue rose 13.2 percent to 406.1 million pounds ($679.4 million), with …
- Cineworld reports 19 pct fall in full-year profit Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, Mar 6, 2014 07:37 GMT
Britain's largest cinema operator Cineworld Group Plc said full-year pretax profit fell 19.3 percent, hurt by transaction and reorganisation costs related to a recent acquisition and a regulatory probe. ...
- Iconic Australian paparazzo's oddest gig yet: mayor Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, Mar 6, 2014 06:00 GMT
GEELONG, Australia, March 6 (Reuters) - Darryn Lyons has been called many things - heroic war photographer, parasitic paparazzo, reality TV star - but his latest title may be the most shocking yet: Mr. Mayor. The 48-year-old Australian, whose Big Pictures photo agency in London helped to usher in the modern paparazzi era …
- Bookies caught cold as Government tackles 'crack cocaine of gambling' Telegraph - Wed, Mar 5, 2014 15:57 GMT
Aswelling political furore around fixed-odds machines, which feature casino games, threatens to reach boiling point
- FTSE 100 movers: Admiral climbs on profit jump, Melrose slumps Sharecast - Wed, Mar 5, 2014 15:16 GMT
Investors cheered an in-line set of full-year results from insurance giant Admiral, as the group increased profits by seven per cent despite revenues falling eight per cent.
- Wednesday broker round-up Sharecast - Wed, Mar 5, 2014 10:12 GMT
African Barrick Gold: Nomura raises target price from 270p to 350p keeping its buy recommendation.
- Sportech looks to profit from Connecticut online launch Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 5, 2014 09:39 GMT
Gambling company Sportech is aiming to expand further in the United States by offering Internet betting on horse racing in Connecticut and opening sports bars there and in California. "We remain well positioned for future growth in the U.S. market and, with the strong cash flows from our Football Pools business, we have …
- London open: Stocks edge lower as investors await data Sharecast - Wed, Mar 5, 2014 09:23 GMT
Stocks pull back after strong rise; Tensions ease between Russia and Ukraine; Investors await host of economic data.
- Wednesday broker round-up UPDATE Sharecast - Wed, Mar 5, 2014 00:35 GMT
Abcam: Investec reduces target price from 552p to 480p and reiterates its buy recommendation. Numis upgrades from hold to buy with a target price 510p.
- Playtech founder to bank £212m from share sale Telegraph - Tue, Mar 4, 2014 19:35 GMT
Gaming software group announces founder and 49pc shareholder, Teddy Sagi, plans to sell 10pc of his holding via an accelerated bookbuild.
- Demand for travel to Greece drives TUI Germany bookings Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, Mar 4, 2014 13:19 GMT
* Hopes that Egypt will bounce back quickly * DRV trade group sees FY revenues up 2-4 pct BERLIN, March 4 (Reuters) - Summer travel bookings and revenues at TUI (Xetra: TUI1.DE - news) 's German business are up from last year thanks especially to a jump in demand for holidays in Greece and prospects look promising in …
- Tuesday broker round-up UPDATE Sharecast - Tue, Mar 4, 2014 13:00 GMT
Abcam: Numis cuts target price from 560p to 510p downgrading from add to hold.
- Elior aims for summer return to Paris stock market Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, Mar 4, 2014 12:44 GMT
* Elior was first listed in 2000 and de-listed in 2006 * Elior looking for shareholders to back growth strategy * Elior's listing seen among largest in Paris in 2014 PARIS, March 4 (Reuters) - Caterer Elior said on Tuesday it would return to French stock market by the summer after an eight-year absence, in an estimated …
- STOCKS NEWS EUROPE-Nokian, Carlsberg among most exposed to Russia Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Mar 3, 2014 15:00 GMT
Swedish telecom operator Tele2, Finnish tyre maker Nokian Renkaat and Danish brewer Carlsberg feature among the European blue-chips with the biggest exposure to Russia, according to data from index provider ...
- Monday newspaper round-up: Russia, Rolls Royce, Ladbrokes Sharecast - Mon, Mar 3, 2014 08:15 GMT
Europe's two biggest states were on the brink of armed conflict last night after Russia tightened its grip by surrounding Ukrainian military bases and President Putin defended the invasion as "an ...
- Ex-Ladbrokes boss plans gaming float Telegraph - Mon, Mar 3, 2014 01:25 GMT
XL Media, an Israeli gaming marketing company, to tap City for fresh funds
- Monday broker round-up UPDATE Sharecast - Mon, Mar 3, 2014 00:26 GMT
African Barrick Gold: Citi increases target price from 120p to 179p, but still recommends selling.
- Sunday share tips: William Hill, Moneysupermarket, RSA Sharecast - Sun, Mar 2, 2014 16:52 GMT
Buy shares in William Hill, the Sunday Telegraph's Questor column recommended. Britain's biggest bookmaker has transformed itself in the last six years from a business dependent on UK betting shops to ...
- In this dotcom frenzy, calm investors will win in the end Telegraph - Sat, Mar 1, 2014 19:11 GMT
Engaging the brain will quite literally pay dividends when 'old economy' fundamentals will once again matter more
- London close: Flat finish for FTSE as data heavy session Sharecast - Fri, Feb 28, 2014 17:08 GMT
FTSE closes flat, down 28 points on the week; Feb UK house prices climb; UK consumer confidence at six-year high; Eurozone's unemployment unchanged at 12 per cent
- FTSE 100 movers: Old Mutual climbs on strong 2013 performance Sharecast - Fri, Feb 28, 2014 16:18 GMT
Financial services group Old Mutual climbed after revealing that its underlying activities had performed strongly in 2013.
- Branson's Virgin To Pilot New Cruises Venture Sky News - Fri, Feb 28, 2014 14:19 GMT
Sir Richard Branson is drawing up plans for a secret assault on the international cruises sector which will involve raising hundreds of millions of pounds in funding from external investors. Sky News can reveal that Virgin Group has appointed the US-based corporate advisory firm Allen & Co to oversee the development of …
- Mid-cap share tip of the week: 'Why I'm buying FirstGroup' Telegraph - Fri, Feb 28, 2014 11:43 GMT
Each week we look at a mid-cap share that a shrewd fund manager has recently been buying. This week: bus and rail operator FirstGroup
- Bookmaker William Hill cuts costs to soften UK tax blow Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Feb 28, 2014 09:23 GMT
Leading British bookmaker William Hill is to cut costs by up to 20 million pounds ($33.3 million) in 2015 to cushion the impact of a new tax regime for online gambling companies, it said on Friday. Online gambling has been a growth area for William Hill (Other OTC: WIMHF - news) in recent years but competition remains …
- William Hill boosted by online and international expansion Telegraph - Fri, Feb 28, 2014 09:17 GMT
Britain's biggest bookmaker says it now generates half of operating profit from its Australian and online businesses.
- Friday preview: William Hill results, Eurozone inflation, US GDP Sharecast - Fri, Feb 28, 2014 08:33 GMT
Friday's busy session will kick off with results from William Hill and Pearson before the release of economic reports on Eurozone inflation and US gross domestic product (GDP).
- Friday broker round-up UPDATE Sharecast - Fri, Feb 28, 2014 00:16 GMT
Barratt Developments: Liberum Capital ups target price from 430p to 468p and keeps a buy recommendation. Deutsche Bank takes target price from 394p to 452p and retains a buy recommendation. Citi raises ...
- City Diary: Goldman philanthropists maximise their donations Telegraph - Thu, Feb 27, 2014 20:45 GMT
Goldman Sachs’ well-remunerated partners can afford to be generous.
- Market report: Plus500 founders in £100m share sale Telegraph - Thu, Feb 27, 2014 20:01 GMT
Five founders of the Aim-listed company slashed their stakes in the group
- Market overview: FTSE closes up 11 at 6,810 Sharecast - Thu, Feb 27, 2014 16:56 GMT
1630: Close After a jam-packed day, the FTSE finished slightly higher, helped by strong results out from Capita and Whitbread. It was confirmed by the ONS today that the UK economy grew at a 0.7 per cent ...
- GKN director sells shares released from deferred bonus plan Sharecast - Thu, Feb 27, 2014 16:31 GMT
A round-up of the biggest director deals today so far.
- FTSE 250 movers: Kazakhmys soars on plans to separate assets Sharecast - Thu, Feb 27, 2014 16:21 GMT
Mining group Kazakhmys saw its share price rocket today after the group said it was considering separating the Zhezkazgan and Central regions, with a view to a potential disposal. The group's former Chairman, ...