Not sure who wins among electric-vehicle competitors? Consider instead investing in the companies that supply them.
In an interview with ABC News and the Courier Journal newspaper, Sergeant Jonathan Mattingly expressed sympathy for the relatives of Taylor, whose death has been one focus of nationwide protests against police brutality and racism this year. Taylor, a Black emergency medical technician, was shot and killed during a botched police raid of her apartment in Louisville, Kentucky in the early hours of March 13. Kenneth Walker, Taylor's boyfriend, who was with her when the police burst into the home, fired once at what he said he believed were criminal intruders, wounding Mattingly.
Adam Scott will not play in this week's PGA event after testing positive for COVID-19.
(Bloomberg) -- Oil and gasoline futures tumbled the most in more than two weeks after a U.S. government report showed swelling fuel stockpiles and slowing demand as the coronavirus pandemic rages.Both crude and gasoline futures in New York declined 4% on Wednesday. Domestic gasoline inventories rose 1.9 million barrels last week, the biggest increase since May, while a measure of gasoline consumption slid to the lowest since late September, according to an Energy Information Administration report. The mounting fuel supplies and lackluster demand may worsen during the normally sluggish winter driving months.“The lockdowns, the higher Covid cases and travel restrictions in Western Europe and elsewhere are clearly bearish for petroleum demand,” said Andrew Lebow, senior partner at Commodity Research Group. “That trend doesn’t look like it’s going to get any better in the upcoming weeks. If anything, it’s probably going to get worse.”Rising coronavirus infections worldwide are putting a damper on an already murky demand outlook, with governments imposing or considering tighter restrictions. Milan, Italy’s financial capital, will be under night-time curfew beginning this week, while Germany’s new infections reached a record. In the U.S., New York posted more than 2,000 new Covid-19 cases for the first time since May.JBC Energy cut its outlook for oil-products demand this year and early 2021, saying that “the persistent lack of recovery in U.S. gasoline demand remains particularly worrisome.”Flagging fuel demand highlights the importance of ongoing discussions over the next round of U.S. virus aid to reviving energy consumption. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she “has a prospect for an agreement” with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on a coronavirus stimulus package, although it may not come together in time to pass both chambers before the Nov. 3 election.“There’s concern about the growing virus caseload in a lot of places hitting demand, especially if there’s not some fiscal stimulus,” said Michael Lynch, president of Strategic Energy & Economic Research. “Global inventories are still quite high and they’re not going to come down until we get a stronger demand recovery. Now, it looks like that will be pushed further out into the future.”The surprise gasoline build led to another leg lower for refining margins. The so-called crack spread for combined gasoline and diesel against WTI futures slumped to the lowest since early April, providing little incentive for refiners to churn out more product in the midst of depressed demand.“There’s no reason for these guys to run the refinery. It’s a losing proposition,” said Bob Yawger, head of the futures division at Mizuho Securities. “There’s nobody that’s in a hurry to bring refinery utilization rates back up.”In another sign of weakness, the EIA report showed a fifth straight weekly build at the nation’s biggest storage hub in Cushing, Oklahoma. Crude inventories there are now over 60 million barrels for the first time since May. The spread between WTI’s nearest contracts weakened to its widest contango structure in nearly a week, signaling concerns of oversupply.Still, distillate stockpiles decreased 3.83 million barrels last week and crude stockpiles dropped just over 1 million barrels, the government data showed.For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.comSubscribe now to stay ahead with the most trusted business news source.©2020 Bloomberg L.P.
The idea of a “pull forward in demand” has come up time and again during the COVID-19 pandemic.
More than 3,000 explicitly abusive messages were sent publicly via Twitter during Project Restart.
Boutique production firm Lucia Entertainment is launching "Go Green," a new digital series aimed at inspiring Americans to reduce their carbon footprint, save money, and live a healthy life through clean energy solutions -- with an assist from actors Mark Ruffalo and Don Cheadle, who make cameo appearances in the show. The unscripted, short-form digital […]
AN earnings call for the period ending September 30, 2020.
BKR earnings call for the period ending September 30, 2020.
TMO earnings call for the period ending September 26, 2020.
Washing your hands non-stop just became a lot more exciting.
Sony Pictures said Wednesday that it has moved the release date of Ghostbusters: Afterlife from March to June 11, 2021, which will be the same weekend as the first Ghostbusters film was released in 1884. It becomes the latest tentpole shift in the theatrical calendar given the ongoing restrictions of movie theaters amid the pandemic. […]
The B2B ratings and reviews platform Clutch named Jackrabbit Mobile a Clutch Leader on their annual list of the most highly recommended companies in Texas for 2020.
The Global Spa Market will grow by $ 25.48 bn during 2020-2024
Spain has become the first European Union nation to surpass a million coronavirus infections, official data showed Wednesday. The Mediterranean country doubled its tally in just six weeks despite the government’s fresh restrictions on public life to curb the spread of the disease. The country recorded 16,973 confirmed cases of Covid-19 over the past 24 hours, the health ministry announced Wednesday, taking the total to 1,005,295 since its first case was diagnosed on January 31 on the remote island of La Gomera, in the Canary Islands.Of this number, 34,366 people have died, after 156 more deaths were recorded in the previous 24 hours.After slowing to a trickle in the wake of Spain's strict March to June lockdown, the infection rate accelerated to frequently exceed 10,000 cases a day from late August, and hit a new peak of more than 16,000 last week.Hurried lockdown exitA hurried exit from confinement before tracing systems were in place let transmission get out of hand faster than in other countries, said Dr. Rafael Bengoa, co-founder of Bilbao's Institute for Health and Strategy.Spain, which is home to around 47 million people, is only the sixth country in the world to cross this grim milestone after the United States, India, Brazil, Russia and Argentina, according to an AFP tally based on official figures.The new wave of contagion has been less deadly than in late March and April and the height of the health crisis, when fatalities routinely exceeded 800 per day, as the median age of new infections has dropped.But with healthcare workers warning the spike could once again overwhelm hospitals, health minister Salvador Illa said Tuesday the government is considering several new measures, including night-time curfews such as those recently put in place in France and Belgium."We are facing very tough weeks ahead, winter is coming, the second wave is no longer a threat, it is a reality across Europe," he told a news conference, adding the government was "open to everything" to contain the virus.'Political weapon'The health ministry is set to meet Thursday with representatives from Spain's powerful regional governments, who are in charge of healthcare, to update the country's plan to respond to the pandemic.Spain was one of the worst-affected countries when the coronavirus struck Europe early this year before one of the world's most stringent lockdowns helped reduce the outbreak's spread.But infections have surged since the lockdown measures were fully removed at the end of June, with the rise blamed on the rapid return of nightlife and a lack of an efficient system to track and trace infections.Messy disagreements between the central and regional governments, and between political parties, have also hampered the response, experts say. "The pandemic has been used as a political weapon to fight and argue with your adversaries instead of trying to find a middle ground and the best solution for everyone," Salvador Macip, an expert in health sciences at Catalonia's Open University who has written a book called "The Great Modern Plagues", told AFP.Fresh restrictions in Madrid, Catalonia, La Rioja and NavarreAs infections have picked up, Spanish regional authorities started imposing fresh restrictions.While daily deaths have been hovering around 100 – a far cry from the peak of nearly 900 registered in late March – nationwide hospital admissions have jumped 20 percent in two weeks and 70 percent in the north-eastern region of Catalonia. That may potentially force some Barcelona hospitals to suspend non-urgent proceduresMadrid and several satellite cities have since early October been under a partial lockdown, while Catalonia has imposed a 15-day shutdown of all bars and restaurants.The tiny wine-producing region of La Rioja joined nearby Navarre in announcing a blanket ban for all non-essential travel to and from the area.Angela Hernandez Puente, a doctor and the deputy secretary of Madrid's Amtys medical association, said the situation was very worrying, but not comparable with the overwhelming pressure the health system came under in March when intensive care units were full and staff lacked personal protective equipment.'Tired and angry health staff'But she said the gains of Spain's tough lockdown were wasted due a lack of preparation for a second wave of infections, citing as an example the failure to hire more doctors for public primary care centres, the first line of defence against the virus as they handle testing and tracing potential cases as well as treating the sick."It's as if they thought that since infections lowered over the summer, 'That's it, it's over', when in fact it was the moment to prepare," Hernandez Puente told AFP."Health care staff are tired and angry, many doctors feel that more should have been done in June, July and August to not let the public health system become overburdened as it is now," she added.(FRANCE 24 with AFP & REUTERS)
No, it's not cancelled, don't worry.
Southern Orthodontic Partners has completed its first Partnership in Virginia through the acquisition of Charlottesville Orthodontics.
Unfortunately, it's likely to hinder the economic recovery we -- and our bank accounts -- so desperately need. In fact, the state of our economy is one of the most pressing issues in the upcoming presidential election -- that, and how to revive it. President Donald Trump has warned that if former Vice President Joe Biden is elected, he'll shut down the economy and so increase unemployment.
(Bloomberg) -- Purdue Pharma LP will plead guilty to three felonies and pay $8.3 billion to settle federal probes of how it marketed OxyContin, the highly addictive painkiller blamed for helping spark the U.S. opioid epidemic.The agreement calls for Purdue’s owners, members of the billionaire Sackler family, to make an immediate $225 million payment to the government and for the company to pay $250 million after its bankruptcy is concluded, the U.S. Department of Justice said Wednesday. The remaining amount owed by Purdue will be counted toward the company’s payout to its creditors, court records show.The deal is likely to boost Purdue’s effort to move past claims it helped spark a public-health crisis over opioids with its marketing of OxyContin. Yet the company still faces thousands of civil claims by local and state officials, for which Purdue has previously proposed a $10 billion settlement in bankruptcy court. Governments are seeking reimbursement from Purdue and others for tax dollars spent coping with the crisis, which has led to more than 200,000 U.S. overdose deaths and chronic addiction.“Purdue deeply regrets and accepts responsibility for the misconduct,” Purdue Chairman Stephen Miller said in a statement. “Resolving the DOJ investigations is an essential step in our bankruptcy process. The settlement agreement will pave the way for Purdue to submit a plan of reorganization to the bankruptcy court that will transfer all of Purdue’s assets” to a new company owned by the public, he said.To cope with the tidal wave of claims, Purdue last year filed for Chapter 11 protection in bankruptcy court in New York. U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Robert Drain in White Plains, New York, must approve the settlement with the Department of Justice for it to become final.Sackler family members who served on Purdue’s board “acted ethically and lawfully” in overseeing the company’s operations, and they reached the government deal “to facilitate a global resolution that directs substantial funding to communities in need, rather than to years of legal proceedings,” a family representative said in an emailed statement.As for the criminal charges, “no member of the Sackler family was involved in that conduct or served in a management role at Purdue” during the period under investigation, according to the statement.Read More: How the Sacklers Shifted $10.8 Billion of Their Opioid FortuneDeputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen, during a press conference Wednesday, said the settlement with members of the Sackler family resolved their individual civil liability for OxyContin’s wrongful market, but doesn’t bar future criminal prosecution.The company will plead guilty to conspiracy to defraud the U.S. and two counts of conspiracy to violate a federal anti-kickback law. The plea will come at a later date.Federal prosecutors and state and local governments say the company fueled the opioid epidemic with illegal OxyContin marketing.Purdue will admit that from May 2007 to March 2017, it conspired to defraud the U.S. by misleading Drug Enforcement Administration officials about the effectiveness of its opioid-monitoring systems, the Justice Department said.The drugmaker also will admit to conspiring to violate federal kickback statutes by paying sham speaker fees to doctors who ramped up OxyContin prescriptions, the government said. And Purdue will acknowledge illegally making payments to Practice Fusion, an electronic health-records company, in exchange for using the firm’s software to sway doctors into prescribing larger amounts of the opioid-based painkiller and other Purdue drugs, according to the government.Bankruptcy PlanPreviously in bankruptcy court, Purdue had proposed a deal worth more than $10 billion, calling for Sackler family members to hand over the company to a trust controlled by the states, cities and counties that are suing it. As part of that proposal, members of the Sackler family would contribute $3 billion themselves.Numerous state attorneys general, led by Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey and New York Attorney General Letitia James, oppose the Sackler’s bankruptcy offer. They want the family to dig into their own pockets for additional billions, and they pledged to continue their own investigations.“DOJ failed,” Healey said in an emailed statement on Wednesday. “Justice in this case requires exposing the truth and holding the perpetrators accountable, not rushing a settlement to beat an election. I am not done with Purdue and the Sacklers.”TransfersA bankruptcy audit last year uncovered $10.4 billion in company transfers engineered by family members since 2008. Some of that money went to offshore trusts and holding companies controlled by the Sacklers. On the eve of the plea’s announcement, Justice Department lawyers urged Drain to limit creditors’ investigations into billions of dollars some members of the Sackler family took out of Purdue.Prosecutors argued in an Oct. 19 letter that forcing family members to hand over to creditors files produced during the Justice Department’s probe of marketing of its opioid-based OxyContin painkiller would provide a disincentive in other cases for targets to cooperate with the government.Purdue has agreed to create a website where it will post for five years some of the documents it previously provided to the government.It’s not the first time Purdue agreed to plead guilty to criminal charges over OxyContin marketing. In 2007, the drugmaker and three of its top executives pleaded guilty to “misbranding” OxyContin, resulting in more than $630 million in civil and criminal penalties -- one of the largest pharmaceutical settlements in U.S. history at the time.As part of that accord, Purdue specifically acknowledged it trained its sales representatives to mislead physicians about opioid risks. The executives were sentenced to community service and served no time in jail.(Updates with comment from Sackler family, Massachusetts attorney general, government press conference.)For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.comSubscribe now to stay ahead with the most trusted business news source.©2020 Bloomberg L.P.
Marcus Rashford in 'despair' as MPs reject free school meal plan. Footballer and campaigner expresses disappointment as plea for free meals to be extended is voted down
New episodes of the reboot will be available to stream on Hulu on Nov. 20