Andrew Neil has vowed never again to appear on GB News as the bitter rift between the broadcaster and senior management spills into public view.
The former Sunday Times editor and BBC interviewer said on Wednesday evening that the channel had broken its exit deal by briefing newspapers against him, with "smears/lies".
His comments follow a Mail on Sunday article that suggested Neil was due to be sacked before he confirmed he was stepping down on September 13.
The report cited an internal memo from channel chief executive, Angelos Frangopoulos, that suggested the GB News board was ready to terminate Neil's contract because it was "untenable".
Mr Neil tweeted:
After weeks of talks with @GBNEWS, resulting in exit settlement, the channel then broke it by briefing Mail on Sunday with load of smears/lies then unilaterally cancelling exit deal. Leaving me free to do, say whatever I want + never again be on GBNews. Couldn’t be happier.
— Andrew Neil (@afneil) September 22, 2021
The Telegraph revealed earlier this month that Mr Neil was considering leaving GB News after relations with Mr Frangopoulos deteriorated over the editorial direction of the channel.
Reports suggested the chief executive wanted to boost ratings by steering the channel towards the right and reshaping it in the model of US station Fox News. Mr Neil opposed such a move.
The channel had also been plagued by technical problems, which had frustrated Mr Neil, sources told The Telegraph.
GB News was contacted for comment.
In a statement about Mr Neil's departure the channel said: “Andrew is without doubt one of the finest journalists and interviewers in this country. GB News thanks him for his 12 months of leadership, wisdom and advice and we wish him well."