UK markets open in 7 hours 44 minutes
  • NIKKEI 225

    -411.56 (-1.54%)

    -137.10 (-0.62%)

    +0.17 (+0.16%)

    -1.50 (-0.08%)
  • DOW

    -253.88 (-0.82%)

    -1,042.63 (-6.27%)
  • CMC Crypto 200

    -26.65 (-6.18%)
  • ^IXIC

    -149.16 (-1.33%)
  • ^FTAS

    -78.63 (-1.96%)

Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish pleads guilty to careless driving after crash during lockdown

·1-min read
<p>Jack Grealish gave a guilty plea</p> (Getty Images)

Jack Grealish gave a guilty plea

(Getty Images)

Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish has pleaded guilty at Birmingham Magistrates’ Court to two charges of careless driving, including one offence in connection with a crash during March’s coronavirus lockdown.

The 25-year-old England international, admitted one offence in connection with a collision involving his £80,000 Range Rover in Dickens Heath, near Solihull, on March 29, six days after national restrictions were imposed nationwide.

Grealish also admitted a second charge of careless driving relating to allegations he drove without due care and attention on the M42, in October.

The winger did not appear in court but entered pleas through his lawyer.

<p>Mr Grealish may attend court for sentencing</p>Getty Images

Mr Grealish may attend court for sentencing

Getty Images

District Judge John Bristow said Grealish already had six penalty points on his driving licence for a 2018 motorway speeding offence and could therefore be at risk of a driving ban under the totting-up scheme.

Asked if the footballer could be present at court on Tuesday afternoon to be sentenced, the player’s lawyer Barry Warburton replied: “I can make enquiries.”

Adjourning the hearing for a short period to allow time for the query to be raised, Judge Bristow said: “It would be preferable to dispose of the matter today. I have heard it now, I am sitting this afternoon.

“If he can get here this afternoon, I can deal with him this afternoon.”

Grealish, of Barnt Green, Worcestershire, had denied two other charges connected to the Dickens Heath incident of failing to stop and failing to report the incident, but the Crown Prosecution Service offered no evidence and the charges were dismissed.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting