To take one glance at Joaquim Calçada, you might expect him to have a story as tall as his hair. Pushing 70 years of age, zipped tightly into a leather bomber as glossy and black as his shellacked pompadour, he has the look of a grizzled Elvis impersonator, way adrift in small-town Portugal. Yet Joaquim’s […]
Country diary: blackthorn winter has begun to loosen its grip. Wolsingham, County Durham: Pearly buds have opened, smothering blackthorn twigs in a froth of blossom. Spring’s brief intermission is over
Chinese conglomerate Dalian Wanda Group aims to raise 20 billion yuan ($3.08 billion) for its commercial property management business, before listing the unit in Hong Kong by year-end, two people with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters. Wanda is targeting primarily private equity investors for Wanda Light Asset Commercial Management Co, aiming for a valuation of 200 billion yuan, said the people. The conglomerate, owned by Wang Jianlin - once China's richest person - aims to complete the fundraising by July and file for an initial public offering (IPO) in September, they said.
(Bloomberg) -- One of the few countries in the world where Google doesn’t dominate web searches is South Korea, where Naver Corp. leads the market and is also a big player in e-commerce and fintech.But the Korean company, which now gets more than 95% of revenue domestically, wants to boost its international presence. To help with that, Naver is considering more dollar bond sales after its debut deal last month, and it’s also eyeing a possible future U.S. initial public offering for a unit, chief financial officer Park Sang-jin said in an interview.“To grow, it’s inevitable that we go global,” according to Park, who’s been with the firm since it was founded in 1999. “We should find business opportunities and meet capable partners to supplement our assets.”Naver rival Coupang Inc.’s U.S. IPO last month was the biggest by a Korean firm in more than a decade. It underscored the drive by companies to expand globally, as well as investors’ willingness to provide funds for that. Naver has made investments overseas recently including taking stakes in Spain’s virtual marketplace Wallapop and Canada’s Wattpad. Park said the firm is looking for more opportunities in Japan, where its Line messaging service is popular, as well as Europe, Southeast Asia and Taiwan.In North America, Naver is hoping to strengthen its so-called storytelling business via its web cartoon unit and internet novel platform Wattpad. The unit, Naver Webtoon, doesn’t have immediate plans to raise funds for now as it focuses on growth, but it may consider a listing if the operation becomes more solid and familiar to U.S. investors, Park said. The company moved the unit’s headquarters to Los Angeles from Korea in December last year.Shares of NBT Inc., a Seoul-based advertising firm that’s been in a partnership with Naver Webtoon since 2018, jumped on expectations that an IPO by the unit may help bolster its business. The stock has risen as much as 14.9% Wednesday, the most in about two weeks, even as the Kosdaq index fell.More BondsNaver is also considering selling more ESG dollar bonds in the near future after its $500 million deal last month. Most of the proceeds of that sale will likely be used for an environmentally-friendly data center that’s scheduled to be completed at the end of 2022 in Sejong, 150 kilometers (93 miles) south of Seoul, according to Park. The firm may sell offshore bonds on a regular basis in the future, he said.The company, which has a 65% share of South Korea’s search engine market according to InterAd data, also has had net cash positions for years.“Since we have plenty of cash, we used to make investments using cash reserves, but now we’re thinking we might increase leverage if needed,” Park said.(Updates with share move of business partner NBT Inc. in sixth paragraph.)For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.comSubscribe now to stay ahead with the most trusted business news source.©2021 Bloomberg L.P.
Handlebars tight in snaking rows of colour, thousands of abandoned bicycles line an open field outside the city of Shenyang, relics of a shared bike mania that has overwhelmed China's cities.
The UK and the US markets extend their losses the second day while Asian stocks open lower on Wednesday
According to the newspaper, police involved in the shooting were answering an emergency-911 call reporting an attempted stabbing by a female suspect.Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther confirmed the fatal shooting, saying on Twitter that "a young woman tragically lost her life."The police officers involved had body worn cameras and the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) had opened an inquiry into the case, he said."We will share information that we can as soon as it becomes available," the mayor said on Twitter. "I'm asking residents to remain calm and allow BCI to gather the facts."Family members have identified the girl killed in the shooting as Makiyah Bryant, aged 16.
Tanner Pearson and Brandon Sutter each scored twice, and the Vancouver Canucks beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 6-3 Tuesday night. Quinn Hughes had a goal and two assists for Vancouver, Nils Hoglander also scored and J.T. Miller had two assists. Braden Holtby stopped 37 shots in the Canucks return from a massive COVID-19 outbreak.
Jordan Reed suffered seven documented concussions during his seven seasons in the NFL, including one that kept him out of the entire 2019 season.
Alexei Navalny’s doctors were again denied access Tuesday to the jailed Kremlin critic, as lawyers for the hunger-striking opposition figure said he was “very weak” and demanded he be transferred to a civilian hospital. A team of medics has been trying to see the 44-year-old since early this month, after Russian President Vladimir Putin’s most outspoken opponent began refusing food on March 31 to demand proper medical treatment for a litany of ailments.The United States sought to up the pressure again on Tuesday urging Russia “immediately” to allow independent doctors to see Navalny.“We call on them to allow for access to necessary and independent medical care immediately,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said.Russian authorities were “responsible for his deteriorating health state,” he added.Nearly three weeks into his hunger strike, doctors over the weekend warned that Navalny’s health was failing so rapidly he could die at “any minute”, and Washington threatened Moscow with “consequences” in the event of his death.Navalny’s lawyer Olga Mikhailova told reporters outside the prison hospital Tuesday afternoon that he had become “very weak” and that “it’s hard for him to speak and sit up”.That assessment came after a team of physicians including Navalny’s personal doctor Anastasia Vasilyeva travelled Tuesday morning to the prison medical facility beyond Moscow where Navalny was moved this week but were barred from seeing him.Mikhailova and another lawyer were given access. They said Navalny had agreed to a glucose drip and was given one on Sunday, but noted that nurses had failed multiple times to find his vein, citing that as evidence that the prison infirmary was not up to the task.“Medical care in this particular case is not being given,” Mikhailova said.“He must be transferred to a civilian hospital in Moscow so that he can receive all the necessary assistance to prevent him from dying here.”In a post on Instagram published after the lawyers visited Navalny compared himself to a “skeleton wandering in a cell”.‘Allow a doctor to see my dad’Concern is growing in the West over Navalny’s condition.German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Tuesday said Berlin is “working to ensure that he receives proper medical care”.“We are very worried and are trying to use our influence,” she said.Navalny’s family members have also spoken up in recent days.“Allow a doctor to see my dad,” his daughter Dasha Navalnaya tweeted Sunday.In an Instagram post on Tuesday, the Kremlin critic’s mother Lyudmila Navalnaya called on authorities to “admit independent, civilian doctors to Alexei”.The Kremlin however has dismissed the foreign outcry and said that Navalny does not deserve special treatment.Navalny is serving a two-and-a-half-year sentence for violating parole terms on old fraud charges he says are politically motivated.He was arrested in January on his return to Russia from Germany, where he had spent months recovering from a poisoning attack with the Novichok nerve agent. He blames the attack on Putin, a claim the Kremlin has repeatedly denied.The European Union and the United States have imposed sanctions on Russia over the poisoning, and on Monday threatened Moscow with further penalties in the event of Navalny’s death.Growing pressureNavalny launched his hunger strike demanding proper medical treatment over severe back pain and numbness in his limbs.His team said over the weekend that blood tests indicated Navalny could be suffering from impaired kidney function and risked cardiac arrest.Russia’s prison service insisted his condition was “satisfactory”, despite moving him to the medical facility, and said he was taking vitamin supplements as part of his treatment.Navalny’s team has called on supporters to take to the streets on Wednesday—when Putin is due to deliver his annual state of the nation address—to protest against how he is being treated.On Tuesday it said rallies would take place in over 100 cities nationwide, as officials in Moscow said they had denied the team’s request to hold a protest in the capital due to the coronavirus pandemic.His team added that police were searching their offices in the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk, the home of their coordinator in the southern city of Belgorad and had detained another coordinator in the Urals city of Kurgan.It added that a third in the southern city of Volgograd was ordered held behind bars for 25 days.“They have begun jailing our coordinators for a rally that has not yet happened,” the team tweeted.(AFP)
"She is really wonderful and so kind — just as kind as everyone says she is," the cookbook author said of the Duchess of Sussex
Police departments across the country have released statements in response to the guilty verdict in the Derek Chauvin trial. In the wake of Chauvin's murder conviction for the death of George Floyd, delivered by the jury on Tuesday, police officials from New York, San Francisco, Minneapolis, and Seattle have issued statements to their communities, promising action and ensuring protection for peaceful demonstrations.
(Bloomberg) -- Asian stocks tumbled and U.S. futures declined Wednesday as rising virus cases around the world led to renewed concern about their economic impact. Treasuries held overnight gains.An MSCI Inc. gauge of Asia-Pacific shares was on track for its biggest decline in four weeks with Japan and Hong Kong leading declines. Nasdaq 100 futures underperformed. S&P 500 contracts fell after the benchmark dropped for a second day extending its slide from an all-time high, with investors showing caution ahead of the brunt of the earnings season. Treasuries held a rally that sent the 10-year yield to its lowest level in more than five weeks. The dollar stabilized and the yen climbed. Oil prices retreated.After rising to record highs, stocks find themselves under pressure from a renewed surge in Covid-19 case around the world, raising the prospect of new lockdowns and hampering the economic recovery. Tokyo and Osaka will ask the Japanese government to declare a state of emergency. Glitches with vaccine rollouts are also raising concerns about the pace of reopenings.“The data is very mixed: on the positive side we have great vaccine rollouts that are happening and then the negative is that we have J&J being halted,” Julie Biel, portfolio manager at Kayne Anderson Rudnick, said on Bloomberg TV. “Is that going to create more vaccine hesitancy? How much of that is going to impact longer term the ability to reopen?” The end of the pandemic “is going to be much more of a push-pull, it’s going to happen in increments,” she said.The World Health Organization said coronavirus cases are rising in all regions except Europe, with the largest increase last week seen in Southeast Asia as India battles its biggest wave of infections.Elsewhere, gold cemented an advance amid the risk-off move. Bitcoin fell for the fifth time in six days.Read: Stumble in Stocks Lacks Easy Explanation for Wall Street PunditsHere are some key events to watch this week:EIA crude oil inventory report on Wednesday.European Central Bank rate decision and President Christine Lagarde briefing on Thursday.U.S. releases new home sales data Friday.These are some of the main moves in markets:StocksS&P 500 futures fell 0.1% as of 1:05 p.m. in Tokyo. The S&P 500 decreased 0.7%. The Nasdaq 100 dipped 0.7%Topix index fell 1.8%Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 Index dropped 1%Kospi index fell 1.6%Hang Seng Index lost 1.6%Shanghai Composite Index rose 0.2%Euro Stoxx 50 futures rose 0.2% CurrenciesThe yen traded at 108 per dollar, up 0.1%The offshore yuan was at 6.4980 per dollarThe Bloomberg Dollar Spot Index was little changedThe euro was little changed at $1.2030BondsThe yield on 10-year Treasuries held at 1.56%Australia’s 10-year bond yield fell five basis points to 1.73%CommoditiesWest Texas Intermediate crude fell 0.8% to $62.20 a barrelGold was at $1,781.81 an ounce, up 0.2%For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.comSubscribe now to stay ahead with the most trusted business news source.©2021 Bloomberg L.P.
UN climate envoy Mark Carney and U.S. peer John Kerry on Wednesday announced a new plan to boost efforts by the financial system to help move the global economy to net zero greenhouse gas emissions. While many large banks, insurers and asset managers have started to commit to some form of action, the frameworks used can differ and some are not rooted in climate science or backed up by interim targets between now and 2050. To help fix the problem, the new group - Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net Zero (GFANZ) - will bring existing net zero initiatives together under one umbrella to help ensure all sub-sector efforts are consistent and ambitious.
During Stephen Colbert’s opening monologue for Tuesday night’s “Late Show,” the host delivered a statement reflecting on former police officer Derek Chauvin’s three-count conviction in the murder of George Floyd. “Just before the taping of our show today, the verdict was announced in the trial of Derek Chauvin. He was found guilty on all three […]
As India’s Covid crisis worsens, getting a hospital bed is becoming a stroke of luck for many. In the last 45 days, over 55% of Indians had to use connections and clout to get a covid ICU bed, according to a survey of over 17,000 citizens across 309 districts by community-led social media platform LocalCircles. A meagre 13% of those who needed a Covid ICU bed were able to get it through the routine process.
C.J. Cron homered and drove in five runs, Jon Gray pitched effectively into the seventh inning and the Colorado Rockies beat the Houston Astros 6-2 on Tuesday night. Dom Nuñez also hit a home run for the Rockies, who snapped a nine-game losing streak to the Astros. Carlos Correa and Aledmys Díaz had RBI doubles for the Astros, who have lost eight of nine.
Players, pundits and fans cheered a "beautiful day for football" after the breakaway European Super League unravelled with the withdrawal of the six English clubs who had signed up to the controversial competition. Following a storm of protests and threats of sanctions from the game's European and world governing bodies, the Super League said it would "reconsider" its next steps after it was reduced to three teams each from Spain and Italy on Tuesday. Amid reports that Italian sides Inter Milan and AC Milan had also withdrawn, former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher declared the competition dead in the water.
Police responded to a call that woman was trying to stab someone with knife
Taiwan electronics manufacturer Foxconn is drastically scaling back a planned $10 billion factory in Wisconsin, confirming its retreat from a project that former U.S. President Donald Trump once called "the eighth wonder of the world." Under a deal with the state of Wisconsin announced on Tuesday, Foxconn will reduce its planned investment to $672 million from $10 billion and cut the number of new jobs to 1,454 from 13,000. The Foxconn-Wisconsin deal was first announced to great fanfare at the White House in July 2017, with Trump boasting of it as an example of how his "America first" agenda could revive U.S. tech manufacturing.