Despite having fought cancer 18 years ago, Delta Goodrem says it’s something that is still very much present in her life
A year before the next presidential election, Macron is focusing on saving jobs and reviving the pandemic-battered French economy as his country inches out of its third partial lockdown. The centrist president's ability to meet the challenge will be significant for his political future and for France — which is among the world's worst-hit nations with the fourth-highest number of reported COVID-19 cases and the eighth-highest death toll at more than 106,000. While he has not officially declared his candidacy, Macron has made comments suggesting he intends to seek reelection.
Parched Taiwan prays for rain as Sun Moon Lake is hit by drought. Taps are now shut off two days a week, and worse is to come unless action is taken on climate crisis
TImelapse video captured the moment a severe thunderstorm rolled into Salina, Kansas, on May 8.Both a tornado and a severe thunderstorm warning were in place for Salina on Saturday, with winds of up to 60 miles per hour and golf ball-sized hail possible, according to the National Weather Service. Credit: Smoky Hill Bonsai via Storyful
Boris Johnson has written to the First Minister following the election of a pro-independence majority in Holyrood.
All you need to know ahead of the fourth race of the season
Follow all the reaction as Canelo Alvarez continued his reign as boxing’s dominant superstar
EU countries snub Priti Patel’s plans to return asylum seekers. UN criticises the proposals as so damaging they risked Britain’s ‘global credibility’
The Mexican’s pressure and power finally told after eight tense rounds at a raucous AT&T Stadium
A 16-point scoring spree from Blake Griffin sparked Brooklyn’s resurgence.
N'DJAMENA, Chad (AP) — At the small hospital where Dr. Oumaima Djarma works in Chad's capital, there are no debates over which coronavirus vaccine is the best. There are simply no vaccines at all. Not even for the doctors and nurses like her, who care for COVID-19 patients in Chad, one of the least-developed nations in the world where about one third of the country is engulfed by the Sahara desert.
Briton bowed out on his stool at the end of the eighth round after sustaining the injury
As Canelo Alvarez was receiving plaudits from the record crowd at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, previously unbeaten WBO super middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders, his vanquished opponent, staggered into the back of an ambulance waiting to take him to a local hospital for an X-ray.
Raheem Sterling put City ahead in the 44th minute but Chelsea's Hakim Ziyech equalised in the 63rd minute before Marcos Alonso completed their comeback with an injury-time winner. It was Chelsea's second victory over City in three weeks following last month's FA Cup semi-final win.
Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez stopped Britain’s Billy Joe Saunders to move one step closer to super-middleweight domination on Saturday night. The Mexican pound-for-pound king produced a typically spiteful eighth-round onslaught in an otherwise competitive title unification showdown, with Saunders failing to rise from his stool for the start of the ninth and his corner throwing in the towel after nasty damage inflicted upon his right eye socket by a fierce uppercut. Victory in front of a bumper Cinco de Mayo weekend crowd of more than 73,000 people - a new record for an indoor boxing event in the USA - at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas saw Canelo add the WBO gold to his collection of WBA (Super), WBC, and The Ring super-middleweight titles.
Mr Khan took 1,206,034 votes after second preferences were taken into account, compared to Mr Bailey at 977,601.
Arsenal were knocked out of the second-tier Europa League on Thursday and sit 10th in the Premier League, facing the prospect of no European football for the first time in 25 years. "The squad needs changing," the Spaniard was quoted as saying in British media before Sunday's home game against West Bromwich Albion. Arteta, who guided Arsenal to the FA Cup last season, has come under fire following the team's poor display but when asked if he believed he could still manage a top side, he said: "Yes."
“Citizen Penn” opens in Hollywood in 2019, with Jamie Foxx, in high spirits, introducing Sean Penn at a benefit gala for Haiti. It doesn’t take long for the spirits to come crashing down to earth, as Penn, founder and spokesman of the J/P Relief Organization, hits the audience with a Debbie Downer buzzkill. The Russians, […]
Herbal and diet supplements ‘have no effect on weight loss’. Popular aids sold by £29bn industry don’t cut obesity, says Australian study
A large segment of a Chinese rocket re-entered the Earth's atmosphere and disintegrated over the Indian Ocean on Sunday, the Chinese space agency said, following fevered speculation over where the 18-tonne object would come down. Officials in Beijing had said there was little risk from the freefalling segment of the Long March-5B rocket, which had launched the first module of China's new space station into Earth orbit on April 29.But the US space agency NASA and some experts said China had behaved irresponsibly, as an uncontrolled re-entry of such a large object risked damage and casualties."After monitoring and analysis, at 10:24 (0224 GMT) on May 9, 2021, the last-stage wreckage of the Long March 5B Yao-2 launch vehicle has re-entered the atmosphere," the China Manned Space Engineering Office said in a statement, providing coordinates for a point in the Indian Ocean near the Maldives.It added that most of the segment disintegrated and was destroyed during descent.The US military's Space Command said the rocket "re-entered over the Arabian Peninsula at approximately 10:15 pm EDT on May 8 (0215 GMT Sunday)"."It is unknown if the debris impacted land or water."Monitoring service Space-Track, which uses US military data, said that the location in Saudi Arabia was where American systems last recorded it."Operators confirm that the rocket actually went into the Indian Ocean north of the Maldives," it tweeted.The segment's descent matched expert predictions that any debris would have splashed down into the ocean, given that 70 percent of the planet is covered by water.Because it was an uncontrolled descent, there was widespread public interest and speculation about where the debris would land.American and European space authorities were among those tracking the rocket and trying to predict its re-entry.Accusations of negligenceObjects generate immense amounts of heat and friction when they enter the atmosphere, which can cause them to burn up and disintegrate. But larger ones such as the Long March-5B may not be destroyed entirely.Their wreckage can land on the surface of the planet and may cause damage and casualties, though that risk is low.Last year, debris from another Chinese Long March rocket fell on villages in the Ivory Coast, causing structural damage but no injuries or deaths.That, and the one that came down Sunday, are tied for the fourth-biggest objects in history to undergo an uncontrolled re-entry, according to data from Harvard-based astronomer Jonathan McDowell.The uncertainty and risks of such a re-entry sparked accusations that Beijing had behaved irresponsibly.US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin suggested last week that China had been negligent, and NASA Administrator Bill Nelson echoed that after the re-entry on Sunday."Spacefaring nations must minimize the risks to people and property on Earth of re-entries of space objects and maximize transparency regarding those operations," Nelson said in a statement."It is clear that China is failing to meet responsible standards regarding their space debris."China's space ambitionsTo avoid such scenarios, some experts have recommended a redesign of the Long March-5B rocket -- which is not equipped for a controlled descent."An ocean reentry was always statistically the most likely," McDowell tweeted."It appears China won its gamble (unless we get news of debris in the Maldives). But it was still reckless."Chinese authorities had downplayed the risk, however."The probability of causing harm to aviation activities or (on people and activities) on the ground is extremely low," foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said Friday.Beijing has poured billions of dollars into space exploration to boost its global stature and technological might.The launch of the first module of its space station -- by the Long March rocket that came down Sunday -- was a milestone in its ambitious plan to establish a permanent human presence in space.(AFP)