The pound-for-pound No1 claimed the WBO belt with his eighth-round stoppage of Billy Joe Saunders in front of more than 73,000 adoring fans - a new record for an indoor boxing event in the USA - at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas on Saturday night.
Canelo - who has won world titles in four different weight classes during an illustrious career - already held the WBA (Super) and WBC straps following his dominant win over Callum Smith in December, later defending them with ease against mandatory challenger Avni Yildirim.
Victory over Saunders - who could not continue after suffering a suspected orbital fracture during an eighth-round barrage - means the Mexican now only needs the IBF gold to achieve his goal of total supremacy in the 168-pound division.
That particular belt is currently in the possession of American Plant, who took it from José Uzcátegui in January 2019 before successful defences against Mike Lee, Vincent Feigenbutz and former world champion Caleb Truax.
Despite a hand injury suffered against Truax in January, Plant has expressed hope for an undisputed showdown to take place in September.
Canelo’s promoter Eddie Hearn stated earlier this week that only “politics or networks” could get in the way of that fight, with Plant signed with Al Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions (PBC).
“That’s my plan, to go for the belt,” Canelo told DAZN when asked if he wanted Plant next following victory over Saunders.
“I’m coming my friend.”
Pressed on if he thought that fight could realistically be made, the Mexican added: “I hope so.”
“It’s the only fight,” insisted Hearn. “And hopefully Caleb Plant feels the same way. We saw an interview the other day where he didn’t mention too much about Canelo.
“But listen, we want to keep the great fights coming in boxing, the first Mexican undisputed champion at 168 pounds.
“Ultimately, Canelo Alvarez will fight absolutely anybody. We know who he wants to fight, he told me who he wants to fight.
“Caleb Plant. That’s the fight. It’s the must-make fight next.”