- GLOBAL MAKETS-Euro sinks to 11-1/2-year low, bonds gain after ECB Reuters - UK Focus - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
The euro fell to an 11-1/2-year low against the dollar on Thursday as U.S. and euro zone bond prices rose, after the European Central Bank spelled out its 1 trillion-euro stimulus plan that begins next Monday. European stock prices rose to seven-year highs in advance of the ECB's latest effort to jump-start the struggling …
- UK gilt yields fall after ECB provides bond-buying plans Reuters - UK Focus - 4 hours ago
British government bond yields fell on Thursday after the European Central Bank laid out its plans for bond purchases, retreating from an 11-week high set when ECB President Mario Draghi first started ...
- Friday preview: US non-farm payrolls in focus Sharecast - 4 hours ago
The all-important US non-farm payrolls report and unemployment rate figures are due on Friday, alongside Eurozone gross domestic product data and a reading on UK inflation expectations.
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Euro sags to 11-1/2-year low, bonds rise after ECB Reuters - UK Focus - 4 hours ago
The euro fell to an 11-1/2-year low against the dollar on Thursday as U.S. and euro zone bond prices rose, after the European Central Bank spelled out its 1 trillion-euro stimulus plan that begins next Monday. European stock prices were supported by the ECB's latest effort to jump-start the struggling euro zone economy, …
- FOREX-Euro sinks below $1.10; dollar index hits 11-1/2 year peak Reuters - UK Focus - 4 hours ago
The euro fell on Thursday below $1.10 for the first time since 2003 and the U.S. dollar added to gains against an index of currencies after the European Central Bank said it will next week launch a massive bond-buying program meant to boost economic growth. It was last off 0.65 percent at $1.1005 in selling that accelerated …
- 5 Things to Watch in the February Jobs Report The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
February’s jobs report will be a test for whether the labor market can continue its impressive growth streak even in the face of global turmoil and icy conditions in parts of the country.
- ECB boost helps push European shares to highest since Nov 2007 Reuters - UK Focus - 4 hours ago
LONDON/PARIS, March 5 (Reuters) - European shares reached their highest in more than seven years on Thursday, boosted by encouraging comments from the European Central Bank and by strong results from supermarket Carrefour (Paris: FR0000120172 - news) and fund manager Schroders (LSE: SDR.L - news) . ECB President Mario …
- Sterling does well after ECB hints, debate over elections deepens Reuters - UK Focus - 5 hours ago
Sterling rose to its strongest since late 2007 against the euro on Thursday, bolstered by signs that the European Central Bank might have to plough on with outright money-printing far into next year or longer to restore growth to the euro zone. In a volatile few minutes during ECB president Mario Draghi's post-meeting …
- ECB to raise funding for Greek banks, QE to kick off 9 March Sharecast - 6 hours ago
The European Central Bank (ECB) has raised emergency liquidity assistance for Greece by €500m and announced that it has removed the waiver on purchases of the nation's debt.
- US open: Markets edge higher as ECB stimulus offsets weak data Sharecast - 6 hours ago
US stock markets rose on Thursday despite some weaker-than-expected domestic economic data, as investors focused on the European Central Bank (ECB) significantly upgraded GDP growth forecasts and details ...
- ECB Starts QE Funding Amid Greek Warning Sky News - 6 hours ago
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Euro hits 11 1/2-year low, bonds rise after ECB Reuters - UK Focus - 6 hours ago
The euro fell to an 11 1/2-year low against the dollar as U.S. and euro zone bond prices rose on Thursday, after the European Central Bank spelled out its 1 trillion-euro stimulus plan that begins next Monday. Wall Street and European stock prices were supported by the ECB's latest effort to jumpstart the struggling euro …
- TREASURIES-Bond yields edge lower on Draghi comments; U.S. data eyed Reuters - UK Focus - 6 hours ago
U.S. Treasuries yields edged lower on Thursday after comments by European Central Bank President Mario Draghi bolstered Treasuries' attractiveness compared with European bonds, but anticipation of Friday's U.S. jobs report kept trading muted. Draghi's comments underscored the likelihood of European yields falling lower …
- China lowers 2015 growth target to 'approximately 7%' AFP - 6 hours ago
- ECB to launch QE on March 9 Telegraph - 6 hours ago
Mario Draghi's announcement comes as European Central Bank lifts 2015 growth forecast from 1pc to 1.5pc
- Market overview: ECB removes waiver on purchases of Greek debt Sharecast - 7 hours ago
1459: Oanda senior market analyst Craig Erlam highlights the negative reaction to the ECB's inflation projection for 2017 which continues to lie below its stated target of 2%. Erlam said: "All things ...
- US STOCKS-Wall St to open slightly higher after 2-day fall Reuters - UK Focus - 8 hours ago
U.S. stocks were set to open modestly higher on Thursday, in the wake of two days of declines on the S&P 500, after higher-than-expected initial jobless claims figures and ahead of a report on factory orders. Futures trimmed gains after data showed initial jobless claims rose to 320,000 in the latest week, above the 295,000 …
- ECB says to start bond purchases on March 9 AFP - 8 hours ago
- ECB President Mario Draghi's Opening Remarks The Wall Street Journal - 8 hours ago
All eyes are on the Mario Draghi show as the European Central Bank president hosts press questions following the central bank’s latest governing council meeting in Cyprus at which it kept interest rates unchanged and said it would start buying government bonds on March 9. The move follows January’s shock-and-awe announcement …
- Europea stocks fall, bond yields rise as ECB raises 2016 inflation forecast Reuters - UK Focus - 8 hours ago
European stocks cut gains and euro zone bond yields rose on Thursday after the European Central Bank lifted its 2016 inflation forecast to 1.5 percent from 1.3 percent. The euro, which hit a more than ...
- Bank of England holds interest rate at record low AFP - 9 hours ago
- Bank of England rates have now been on hold six years. Here's how it has affected you Telegraph - 10 hours ago
The Bank of England has held interest rates at 0.5pc for six years. We take a look at how savings and mortgage rates have changed since 2009
- Robust earnings help European shares extend rally ahead of ECB Reuters - UK Focus - 10 hours ago
LONDON/PARIS, March 5 (Reuters) - European shares rose on Thursday, with a batch of robust company results from firms including supermarket Carrefour (Paris: FR0000120172 - news) and fund manager Schroders (LSE: SDR.L - news) boosting sentiment. Investors also awaited the European Central bank meeting at which it is …
- Asia: Mixed stocks following Chinese GDP growth target cut and RBA governor speech Sharecast - 10 hours ago
Asian stocks were mixed on Thursday following the lead from a weaker finish for US stocks the night before.
- Where Greece hopes to find cash - and why the ECB says no AFP - 12 hours ago
- German industrial orders unexpectedly drop but DAX rallies before ECB Sharecast - 13 hours ago
Germany's industrial sector performed worse than forecast as industrial new orders for January unexpectedly dropped.
- MORNING BID EUROPE-A daily note from our Economics/Politics Editor Reuters - UK Focus - 14 hours ago
The European Central Bank is holding its monthly meeting - an offsite gathering in Cyprus - and is about to commence its quantitative easing bond-buying programme. We can expect to get a precise start date and some more details on what central bankers like to call "modalities": whether national central banks will only …
- Market overview: ECB keeps rates unchanged Sharecast - 21 hours ago
1245: The European Central Bank has left its main refinancing rate at 0.05%, as expected. Markets will be waiting on further details from ECB president Mario Draghi at a press conference in Cyprus scheduled ...
- European Central Bank gets ready to unleash €1.1 trillion QE blitz Telegraph - 23 hours ago
Plans for Europe's unprecedented programme of monetary stimulus will be unveiled by bank chief Mario Draghi in a bid to fight off deflationary forces
- Liquidity evaporates in China as 'fiscal cliff' nears Telegraph - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 22:13 GMT
Unless China changes course, it is set to tighten fiscal policy by 5.5pc of GDP this year, five times Britain's austerity dose annually since the Lehman crisis
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Stocks fall, euro hits 11-1/2-year low before ECB talks Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 21:19 GMT
Stock prices around the world fell on Wednesday on profit-taking, while the euro dropped to an 11-1/2-year low ahead of a European Central Bank meeting where policymakers are expected to offer details on their bond-purchase stimulus plan. It held above $60 a barrel on Iran's opposition to a nuclear deal and supportive …
- TREASURIES-Bond prices mostly flat on mixed data ahead of U.S. jobs report Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 20:53 GMT
The ADP National Employment Report showed U.S. private employers added 212,000 jobs last month, lower than economists' expectations for 220,000, according to a Reuters poll.
- FOREX-Dollar gets boost from U.S. data as euro sags below $1.11 Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 20:21 GMT
Economists surveyed by Reuters had forecast the ADP to show a gain of 220,000 jobs. "What's really important now is that we get a nonfarm print on Friday that comes close to that 235,000 that is expected, or higher," Sutton said.
- Can Greece avoid going bankrupt this month? Telegraph - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 17:24 GMT
Cash-strapped Athens may have been granted a temporary reprieve, but the country could join a list of international pariahs and default on its debt at the end of the month
- Europe close: Stocks rally after Eurozone retail sales figures impress Sharecast - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 17:23 GMT
European stocks rallied as investors weighed strong data and a weaker euro ahead of the European Central Bank's Thursday policy meeting.