- What you need to know before the open City A.M. - 1 hour 2 minutes ago
- FOREX-Dollar steady near 1-week low vs yen, held back by Ukraine tensions Reuters - UK Focus - 3 hours ago
* Yen shrugs off slightly smaller-than-expected rise in Tokyo April CPI * Euro recovers from low hit on comments by ECB's Draghi (Updates prices, adds comments) TOKYO/SINGAPORE, April 25 (Reuters) - The dollar held steady near a one-week low versus the yen on Friday, struggling to gain traction as rising tension in Ukraine …
- FOREX-Dollar under pressure on rising Ukraine tension Reuters - UK Focus - 7 hours ago
* Dollar near 1-week low vs yen on rising Ukraine tensions * Euro recovers from low hit on comments by ECB's Draghi TOKYO, April 25 (Reuters) - The dollar came under pressure against the yen on Friday as rising tension in Ukraine undermined optimism about U.S. economic growth following strong U.S. durable goods data. …
- Europe is impotent in the face of deflation Telegraph - 11 hours ago
Falling prices are mainly the result of stagnation, but the ECB doesn’t want to know
- FOREX -Dollar loses ground on escalation of Russia/Ukraine tensions Reuters - UK Focus - 12 hours ago
* Russian troop movements along Ukraine border raise geopolitical tensions * ECB's Draghi reiterates warning about QE, negative rates Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Moscow had begun military drills near the border with Ukraine, where it has deployed tens of thousands of troops in response to "Ukraine's military …
- Friday preview: Retail sales data and Pearson IMS ahead Sharecast - 13 hours ago
Barring any unexpected events global capital markets will have little to chew on come Friday.
- Market overview: Standard Life to vote against Barclays remuneration report Sharecast - 18 hours ago
1342: At this morning's heated AGM in London Barclays investor Standard Life Investments said it will vote against the 2013 remuneration report.
- FOREX -Euro dips after Draghi says ECB may ease policy further Reuters - UK Focus - 20 hours ago
* ECB's Draghi reiterates warning about QE, negative rates LONDON, April 24 (Reuters) - The euro gave up gains against the dollar on Thursday, after ECB President Mario Draghi once again flagged the risk of asset purchases to ward off deflation risks and said a rise in the euro could trigger policy action. While stressing …
- Putin blocks Russia relaxing budget policy for Crimea -report AFP - 21 hours ago
- Budget Deficit Drops By 6% In Last Year Sky News - 22 hours ago
The UK budget deficit has fallen to its lowest level since the financial crisis five years ago. Official figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show the shortfall in tax revenues over Government spending fell to £107.7bn in the 12 months to the end of March. It was slightly lower than forecast by the Office …
- UK deficit comes down as tax revenues creep higher City A.M. - Thu, Apr 24, 2014 01:55 BST
- S&P fears Scots banks are too like Iceland’s City A.M. - Thu, Apr 24, 2014 01:47 BST
AN INDEPENDENT Scotland would join Iceland as the only European governments which could not afford to support their banking systems, analysts at ratings agency Standard and Poor’s warned yesterday.If giant ...
- Eurozone deficits shrinking but public debt continues to mount City A.M. - Thu, Apr 24, 2014 01:34 BST
- America has conquered its debt crisis with incredible speed Telegraph - Thu, Apr 24, 2014 01:06 BST
US Congressional Budget Office expects the budget deficit to drop to 2.8pc of GDP this year, and 2.6pc next year
- U.S. new home sales hint at prolonged housing weakness Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 21:20 BST
"The weak tone of this report is a bitter pill for those, including ourselves, who have been looking for signs of a spring thaw in the housing recovery," said Millan Mulraine, deputy chief economist at TD Securities in New York (Frankfurt: HX6.F - news) . The housing market was slammed by the unusually cold and snowy winter, …
- TREASURIES-U.S. bond yields dip on weak U.S. data, short-covering Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 20:58 BST
NEW YORK (Frankfurt: HX6.F - news) , April 23 (Reuters) - U.S. Treasuries yields fell on Wednesday after weak U.S economic data spurred safe-haven bids and traders covered short positions against bonds following a selloff in recent sessions. "You cannot blame the new home sales data on the weather, as the case was in early …
- FOREX -Dollar down on weak U.S. markets, Aussie sinks after low inflation Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 20:49 BST
* Limited reaction to China HSBC flash manufacturing PMI (Updates with late New York (Frankfurt: HX6.F - news) prices) NEW YORK, April 23 (Reuters) - The U.S. dollar weakened against the euro and yen on Wednesday, undermined by a decline in U.S. equity prices and Treasury yields and finding little support from a slower-than-expected …
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Share rally peters out, euro lifted by PMI boost Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 16:37 BST
Global equity markets edged lower on Wednesday after five days of gains after disappointing U.S. housing data and as corporate earnings were not strong enough to sustain a rally, while the price of government ...
- France outlines 'optimistic' pledge to get economy back on track AFP - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 16:02 BST
- Eurozone April business activity nears 3-year high: Markit AFP - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 15:46 BST
- GLOBAL ECONOMY-U.S., euro zone activity up; China decline slows Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 15:36 BST
* Euro zone businesses enjoy best month in nearly three years * Deflation fears remain in euro zone NEW YORK/LONDON April 23 (Reuters) - The U.S. manufacturing sector expanded in April and the euro zone private sector started the second quarter on its strongest footing since 2011, while the pace of decline in Chinese …
- Sterling retreats from recent highs after BoE minutes Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 15:35 BST
Sterling fell against the dollar and the euro on Wednesday after Bank of England minutes highlighted a growing debate between policymakers about slack in the economy and the medium-term inflation outlook. Sterling eased to $1.6795 against the dollar in afternoon trade, from around $1.6823 before the minutes were released. …
- We are in trouble if sensible policy becomes unthinkable Telegraph - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 14:42 BST
British consumers have nothing to fear when the Bank of England eventually raising interest rates.
- Britain's budget gap narrowest since financial crisis Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 14:39 BST
* Budget deficit falls to 6.6 pct of GDP, lowest since 07/08 LONDON, April 23 (Reuters) - Britain's hefty budget deficit has fallen to its lowest since the financial crisis, official data showed on Wednesday, helping the government argue it is delivering on a key economic pledge a year before a national election. The …
- Eurozone deficits improve but debt mounts: data AFP - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 14:21 BST
- FOREX -Aussie sinks after low inflation, German PMI helps euro Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 13:18 BST
* Aussie falls on lower-than-expected CPI (Other OTC: CPICQ - news) data The Aussie has been gaining steadily against the other major currencies since a turn in the rhetoric of its central bank. That put the currency way above the low to mid-80s against the dollar officials had previously talked. The suspicion is a slackening …
- Ericsson leads European shares lower after earnings miss Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 12:11 BST
* Ericsson (Xetra: ERCA.DE - news) falls after earnings miss * Primark gives Associated British Foods (LSE: ABF.L - news) a lift LONDON, April 23 (Reuters) - European shares fell on Wednesday, retracing some of the previous session's strong gains as investors responded to weak earnings from Ericsson and mixed data out …
- UK borrowing falls sharply in March Telegraph - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 11:32 BST
Stronger tax receipts and fall in departmental spending help Chancellor to meet full-year borrowing target
- Eurozone deficits improve, debt mounts: data AFP - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 10:33 BST
- Sterling retreats from recent peak after BoE minutes Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 10:21 BST
Sterling fell against the dollar and the euro on Wednesday after Bank of England minutes highlighted a growing debate between policymakers about slack in the economy and the medium-term inflation outlook. Sterling eased to $1.6802 against the dollar from around $1.6823 before the minutes were released.
- Business news and markets: as it happened, Wednesday April 23, 2014 Telegraph - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 09:31 BST
Greece made a bailout-adjusted surplus of €1.5bn, equivalent to 0.8pc of GDP, according to the European Commission
- UK budget deficit narrowest since crisis, government just hits target Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 09:30 BST
Britain's budget deficit in the 12 months to March sank to its lowest since the financial crisis, and the government narrowly met its latest deficit reduction goal, official data showed on Wednesday. Deficit reduction is the central economic policy of the Conservative-led coalition. It came to power in May 2010 when Britain's …
- French blue-chips lead European shares lower after euro zone PMIs Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 09:14 BST
French blue-chip shares underperformed their German counterparts on Wednesday after survey data showed that the recovery in France is still weaker than the euro zone's biggest economy. France's CAC 40 ...
- Wednesday preview: Chinese and Eurozone manufacturing data due out Sharecast - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 08:50 BST
Barring unexpected events, the upcoming trading session may well turn out to be the most interesting this week, as investors focus on a raft of important economic data which are set for release, alongside ...
- Chinese manufacturing PMI shows continued contraction Sharecast - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 08:01 BST
Manufacturing activity in China contracted for the fourth month in a row in April, according to a private survey out Wednesday from HSBC and Markit.