- Market overview: Standard Life to vote against Barclays remuneration report Sharecast - 42 minutes ago
1342: At this morning's heated AGM in London Barclays investor Standard Life Investments said it will vote against the 2013 remuneration report.
- FOREX -Euro dips after Draghi says ECB may ease policy further Reuters - UK Focus - 2 hours 55 minutes ago
* ECB's Draghi reiterates warning about QE, negative rates LONDON, April 24 (Reuters) - The euro gave up gains against the dollar on Thursday, after ECB President Mario Draghi once again flagged the risk of asset purchases to ward off deflation risks and said a rise in the euro could trigger policy action. While stressing …
- Putin blocks Russia relaxing budget policy for Crimea -report AFP - 3 hours ago
- Budget Deficit Drops By 6% In Last Year Sky News - 5 hours ago
The UK budget deficit has fallen to its lowest level since the financial crisis five years ago. Official figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show the shortfall in tax revenues over Government spending fell to £107.7bn in the 12 months to the end of March. It was slightly lower than forecast by the Office …
- UK deficit comes down as tax revenues creep higher City A.M. - 13 hours ago
- S&P fears Scots banks are too like Iceland’s City A.M. - 13 hours ago
AN INDEPENDENT Scotland would join Iceland as the only European governments which could not afford to support their banking systems, analysts at ratings agency Standard and Poor’s warned yesterday.If giant ...
- Eurozone deficits shrinking but public debt continues to mount City A.M. - 13 hours ago
- America has conquered its debt crisis with incredible speed Telegraph - 14 hours ago
US Congressional Budget Office expects the budget deficit to drop to 2.8pc of GDP this year, and 2.6pc next year
- U.S. new home sales hint at prolonged housing weakness Reuters - UK Focus - 18 hours ago
"The weak tone of this report is a bitter pill for those, including ourselves, who have been looking for signs of a spring thaw in the housing recovery," said Millan Mulraine, deputy chief economist at TD Securities in New York (Frankfurt: HX6.F - news) . The housing market was slammed by the unusually cold and snowy winter, …
- TREASURIES-U.S. bond yields dip on weak U.S. data, short-covering Reuters - UK Focus - 18 hours ago
NEW YORK (Frankfurt: HX6.F - news) , April 23 (Reuters) - U.S. Treasuries yields fell on Wednesday after weak U.S economic data spurred safe-haven bids and traders covered short positions against bonds following a selloff in recent sessions. "You cannot blame the new home sales data on the weather, as the case was in early …
- FOREX -Dollar down on weak U.S. markets, Aussie sinks after low inflation Reuters - UK Focus - 18 hours ago
* Limited reaction to China HSBC flash manufacturing PMI (Updates with late New York (Frankfurt: HX6.F - news) prices) NEW YORK, April 23 (Reuters) - The U.S. dollar weakened against the euro and yen on Wednesday, undermined by a decline in U.S. equity prices and Treasury yields and finding little support from a slower-than-expected …
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Share rally peters out, euro lifted by PMI boost Reuters - UK Focus - 22 hours ago
Global equity markets edged lower on Wednesday after five days of gains after disappointing U.S. housing data and as corporate earnings were not strong enough to sustain a rally, while the price of government ...
- France outlines 'optimistic' pledge to get economy back on track AFP - 23 hours ago
- Eurozone April business activity nears 3-year high: Markit AFP - 23 hours ago
- GLOBAL ECONOMY-U.S., euro zone activity up; China decline slows Reuters - UK Focus - 23 hours ago
* Euro zone businesses enjoy best month in nearly three years * Deflation fears remain in euro zone NEW YORK/LONDON April 23 (Reuters) - The U.S. manufacturing sector expanded in April and the euro zone private sector started the second quarter on its strongest footing since 2011, while the pace of decline in Chinese …
- Sterling retreats from recent highs after BoE minutes Reuters - UK Focus - 23 hours ago
Sterling fell against the dollar and the euro on Wednesday after Bank of England minutes highlighted a growing debate between policymakers about slack in the economy and the medium-term inflation outlook. Sterling eased to $1.6795 against the dollar in afternoon trade, from around $1.6823 before the minutes were released. …
- We are in trouble if sensible policy becomes unthinkable Telegraph - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 14:42 BST
British consumers have nothing to fear when the Bank of England eventually raising interest rates.
- Britain's budget gap narrowest since financial crisis Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 14:39 BST
* Budget deficit falls to 6.6 pct of GDP, lowest since 07/08 LONDON, April 23 (Reuters) - Britain's hefty budget deficit has fallen to its lowest since the financial crisis, official data showed on Wednesday, helping the government argue it is delivering on a key economic pledge a year before a national election. The …
- Eurozone deficits improve but debt mounts: data AFP - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 14:21 BST
- FOREX -Aussie sinks after low inflation, German PMI helps euro Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 13:18 BST
* Aussie falls on lower-than-expected CPI (Other OTC: CPICQ - news) data The Aussie has been gaining steadily against the other major currencies since a turn in the rhetoric of its central bank. That put the currency way above the low to mid-80s against the dollar officials had previously talked. The suspicion is a slackening …
- Ericsson leads European shares lower after earnings miss Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 12:11 BST
* Ericsson (Xetra: ERCA.DE - news) falls after earnings miss * Primark gives Associated British Foods (LSE: ABF.L - news) a lift LONDON, April 23 (Reuters) - European shares fell on Wednesday, retracing some of the previous session's strong gains as investors responded to weak earnings from Ericsson and mixed data out …
- UK borrowing falls sharply in March Telegraph - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 11:32 BST
Stronger tax receipts and fall in departmental spending help Chancellor to meet full-year borrowing target
- Eurozone deficits improve, debt mounts: data AFP - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 10:33 BST
- Sterling retreats from recent peak after BoE minutes Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 10:21 BST
Sterling fell against the dollar and the euro on Wednesday after Bank of England minutes highlighted a growing debate between policymakers about slack in the economy and the medium-term inflation outlook. Sterling eased to $1.6802 against the dollar from around $1.6823 before the minutes were released.
- Business news and markets: as it happened, Wednesday April 23, 2014 Telegraph - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 09:31 BST
Greece made a bailout-adjusted surplus of €1.5bn, equivalent to 0.8pc of GDP, according to the European Commission
- UK budget deficit narrowest since crisis, government just hits target Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 09:30 BST
Britain's budget deficit in the 12 months to March sank to its lowest since the financial crisis, and the government narrowly met its latest deficit reduction goal, official data showed on Wednesday. Deficit reduction is the central economic policy of the Conservative-led coalition. It came to power in May 2010 when Britain's …
- French blue-chips lead European shares lower after euro zone PMIs Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 09:14 BST
French blue-chip shares underperformed their German counterparts on Wednesday after survey data showed that the recovery in France is still weaker than the euro zone's biggest economy. France's CAC 40 ...
- Wednesday preview: Chinese and Eurozone manufacturing data due out Sharecast - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 08:50 BST
Barring unexpected events, the upcoming trading session may well turn out to be the most interesting this week, as investors focus on a raft of important economic data which are set for release, alongside ...
- Chinese manufacturing PMI shows continued contraction Sharecast - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 08:01 BST
Manufacturing activity in China contracted for the fourth month in a row in April, according to a private survey out Wednesday from HSBC and Markit.
- Asian markets shrug off Chinese manufacturing data City A.M. - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 06:31 BST
- FOREX -Aussie slides on inflation data, other major currencies subdued Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 05:20 BST
* Moves in other major currencies subdued (Updates prices, adds comments) SINGAPORE, April 23 (Reuters) - The Australian dollar slid on Wednesday after data showed that Australian consumer prices rose less than expected in the first quarter, lessening the risk of a rise in domestic interest rates this year. Other major …
- China manufacturing improves slightly in April AFP - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 04:43 BST
- FOREX-Currencies calm before China PMI, Aussie on inflation watch Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 00:05 BST
The world's major currencies started trade on Wednesday in Asia on familiar ground after an uninspired session that kept the dollar, euro and yen locked in narrow ranges. In Asia much will depend on a survey of China's manufacturing activity due at 0045 GMT. The Australian dollar, which gained a modest 0.4 percent against …
- Is the euro the new funding currency? Sharecast - Tue, Apr 22, 2014 20:47 BST
Recent strength in the euro against other major global currencies is compounding the declining inflation trend in the single currency area and has in ways encouraged investors to pile into the riskier ...
- Youngsters were hit hardest by the recession - but they are recovering fastest Telegraph - Tue, Apr 22, 2014 17:34 BST
The young are starting to find more jobs, enjoying pay rises and sharing in the fruits of the economic bounce-back