- ArcelorMittal retains global steel demand growth forecast of 0-0.5 percent Reuters - 9 minutes ago
ArcelorMittal (ISPA.AS), the world's largest steelmaker retained its forecast for global apparent steel consumption growth of between zero and 0.5 percent in 2016. This came as it raised its forecast for China to a decline of between zero and 1 percent, from a previous fall of between 0.5 and 1.5 percent, but it cut its …
- Best of Bloomberg Markets Middle East (Full Show 05/05) @ Bloomberg - 15 minutes ago
- Analyzing Marathon Oil’s 1Q16 Earnings Performance Market Realist - 15 minutes ago
Marathon Oil (MRO) announced its 1Q16 earnings on May 4, 2016, after the Market closed. MRO reported an adjusted loss of $0.43 per share, $0.02 better than Wall Street analysts' consensus for a loss of ...
- Fed's Bullard says options are open for possible June rate hike Reuters - 18 minutes ago
PALO ALTO, Calif. (Reuters) - St. Louis Federal Reserve President James Bullard said on Thursday the Fed could raise rates at its meeting next month if the economic data calls for it, despite the fact ...
- Good U.S. payrolls gains seen, but swelling labor force to cap wage growth Reuters - 21 minutes ago
U.S. employment likely rose again in April, but a rush of job seekers into the labor market should keep wage gains moderate and buy a cautious Federal Reserve more time before raising interest rates again. Nonfarm payrolls probably increased by 202,000 last month in U.S. Labor Department data due for publication on Friday, …
- Is Intel Taking a Bite of Qualcomm’s Business from Apple? Market Realist - 26 minutes ago
Mollenkopf reassured investors that Qualcomm could achieve its margins despite a reduction in orders from a large customer, but investors did not seem convinced.
- How Its Liquidity Crisis Burned SunEdison’s Business Market Realist - 27 minutes ago
The upstream solar (TAN) sector is a capital-intensive sector. Solar companies such as SunEdison (SUNEQ) are required to maintain liquidity positions to fund their projects and raise capital at a low cost....
- NextEra Energy Outruns Peers in Utilities’ Atypical Rally Market Realist - 27 minutes ago
NextEra Energy's (NEE) stock has soared more than 12% in the last 12 months, with most of its rally coming in 2016.
- Did the Rise in Crude Oil Inventory Meet Expectations? Market Realist - 27 minutes ago
The U.S. Energy Information Administration reported that the US crude oil inventory rose by 2.1 MMbbls (million barrels) to 538.6 MMbbls for the week ending April 15, 2016.
- Good U.S. payrolls gains seen, but swelling labour force to cap wage growth Reuters - 28 minutes ago
U.S. employment likely rose again in April, but a rush of job seekers into the labour market should keep wage gains moderate and buy a cautious Federal Reserve more time before raising interest rates again. Nonfarm payrolls probably increased by 202,000 last month in U.S. Labor Department data due for publication on Friday, …
- South Africa's Credit Risk Approaching Junk-Rated Brazil: Chart @ Bloomberg - 32 minutes ago
- Taiwan: Apple Bites Back, Citi's Top Buy And Sell Tech Stocks @ Barrons.com - 41 minutes ago
Taiwan's stock market has slumped with Apple (AAPL). Quarter-to-date, the iShares MSCI Taiwan ETF (EWT) has tumbled 8.9%, making it the worst-performing market in emerging Asia. Citi Research's Peter Kurz threw in the towel today, cutting his TAIEX target from 9,000 to 8,500: The extent of the market sell-off beat our …
- Facebook loses first round in suit over storing biometric data Reuters - 52 minutes ago
Facebook Inc lost the first round in a court fight against some of its users who sued the social networking company, alleging it "unlawfully" collected and stored users' biometric data derived from their faces in photographs. The court found that Illinois law applies and that the plaintiffs have stated a claim under BIPA. …
- Uber's China Rival 'Close to Raising $2 Billion in New Funding' @ Bloomberg - 53 minutes ago
- CLSA Sees China Bad-Loan `Epidemic' With Losses Over $1 Trillion @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 2 minutes ago
Chinese banks’ bad loans are at least nine times bigger than official numbers indicate, an “epidemic” that points to potential losses of more than $1 trillion, according to an assessment by brokerage CLSA ...
- Market Outlook: Are Investors Getting Cautious? @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 4 minutes ago
- Shell’s 1Q16 Earnings Slump but Beat Estimates Market Realist - 1 hour 4 minutes ago
Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.A) released its 1Q16 results on May 4, 2016. Its revenues missed Wall Street analysts' estimates by 13%, and its reported EPS stood at $0.14.
- What to Look for in the U.S. Jobs Report @ Bloomberg - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
- [$$] El Salvadorians Don’t See Mine as Golden Opportunity @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
Nearly 80% of El Salvador’s population is against gold mining, according to a poll by the University of Central America in San Salvador.
- [$$] Now Can We Get a New Designer for U.S. Currency? @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
Adding Harriet Tubman is a good idea. Other planned changes are awful and will make our money look even worse than it already does.
- [$$] The FDA’s Vaporous Thinking About E-Cigs @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
The new rules won’t benefit public health and will force thousands of small businesses to shut down.
- [$$] No Way to Win a War or Fight an Infection @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
Incrementally increasing forces and resources will no more defeat Islamic State than it did North Vietnam, particularly in the absence of a coherent strategy with realistic objectives.
- [$$] Getting Our Environmental Regulation Right @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
Without the EPA’s current standards for vehicles, fuels and engines, by 2030 we would have up to 40,000 more premature deaths every year.
- [$$] Minimum Trump @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
The primary is over, and the Republican is changing his mind.
- [$$] Labeling GMO Foods Excites a Controversy @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
The term ‘GMO’ is not defined in statute or regulation by government regulatory agencies and with good reason.
- [$$] Speechless on Campus @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
John McAdams sues to keep his tenured position at Marquette.
- [$$] Obama’s Got Flint’s Back @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
Good question: Why is government failing at so many levels?
- [$$] When America Ran on Empty @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
Farmers, wildcatters, truck drivers, pipeline operators and oil companies all prospered by using energy policy to their advantage. Marc Levinson reviews “Panic at the Pump” by Meg Jacobs.
- [$$] Privileged? Check @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
Let me count the ways—without embarrassment.
- [$$] Hillary Gets Guccifered @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
If an unemployed taxi driver from Romania knew about Hillary’s server, so did China.
- [$$] World Watch @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 20 minutes ago
A daily roundup of news from around the world.
- [$$] Suu Kyi’s Ministry Sides With Hard-Line Buddhists @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 20 minutes ago
Weighing in on the side of hard-line Buddhists, Myanmar’s Foreign Ministry —headed by Aung San Suu Kyi—advised foreign embassies not to use “Rohingya” to describe the country’s stateless Muslim minority....
- [$$] Brazil Supreme Court Suspends House Speaker Eduardo Cunha @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 20 minutes ago
Brazil’s Supreme Court ordered the country’s house speaker, who has led the impeachment drive against President Dilma Rousseff, to relinquish his post while he faces corruption charges.
- [$$] Political Deadlock Leaves Lebanon to Unravel @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 20 minutes ago
The long-running crisis hasn’t led to bloodshed—no major political force wants to replay the horrors of the civil war—but it’s already suffocating economic activity, Yaroslav Trofimov writes.
- [$$] Airstrikes Kills Dozens in Camp for Displaced Syrians @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 20 minutes ago
An airstrike killed about 30 people at a camp for internally displaced Syrians in Idlib province Thursday, as activists said fighting erupted in neighboring Aleppo province shortly after a cease-fire took ...