- US pre-open: Apple surges nine per cent in pre-open trades Sharecast - 11 minutes ago
The main US stock market averages are set to gain at the open by close to three tenths of a percentage point on average.
- Co-operative Energy blames government as it raises energy prices 2.4 per cent Telegraph - 37 minutes ago
Small energy supplier blames "government-imposed costs" of green policies as it raises electricity costs by £28 a year
- Chinese clampdown on extravagant feasts hits Pernod Ricard sales AFP - 38 minutes ago
- Argentine congress OKs payoff to Repsol for YPF seizure AFP - 47 minutes ago
- Facebook beats Apple in battle of employee approval Telegraph - 1 hour 4 minutes ago
Social media newcomer may be dwarfed by the tech giant in scale but Facebook staff are more devoted to their company than those at Apple
- Centamin likely to benefit from new Egyptian contract law - UPDATE Sharecast - 1 hour 26 minutes ago
Thanks to a new investment law brought in by the Egyptian government, gold miner Centamin will try and dismiss an ongoing court case over rights to its Sukari mine in the country.
- 26% Growth At Standard Chartered PLC! Fool.co.uk - 1 hour 28 minutes ago
Standard Chartered PLC (LON: STAN) looks set to take off.
- Spain's CaixaBank reports profits halved AFP - 1 hour 29 minutes ago
- American Airlines profitable in 1st quarter since deal AFP - 1 hour 47 minutes ago
- What you need to know before the US open City A.M. - 2 hours 3 minutes ago
- Caterpillar reports higher profits, warns of China, Ukraine risks AFP - 2 hours 5 minutes ago
- How sales of Apple's iPhone beat forecasts - in charts Telegraph - 2 hours 9 minutes ago
Apple impressed shareholders on Wednesday night with a profit rise of $700m, although demand for iPads was disappointing
- GM profit plunges after recall costs AFP - 2 hours 12 minutes ago
- STOCKS NEWS EUROPE-Lenzing leaps on Kepler upgrade Reuters - UK Focus - 2 hours 26 minutes ago
VIENNA, April 24 - Shares in Austrian cellulose fibres maker Lenzing leap more than 6 percent after Kepler Cheuvreux upgrades the stock to "buy" from "hold". Kepler says it sees signs ...
- Caterpillar posts higher first-quarter profit, raises outlook Reuters - 2 hours 27 minutes ago
Caterpillar said it expected its sales to the global construction industry to increase 10 percent from 2013, up from a previously anticipated rise of about 5 percent. Chief Executive Officer Doug Oberhelman said the Peoria, Illinois-based company was watching several regions closely. Having visited China recently, he …
- Comcast's Fandango ticket service buys MovieClips Reuters - 2 hours 27 minutes ago
MovieClips, launched in 2009, licenses movie scenes from various studios, puts them up on YouTube and monetizes them with ads on the site. The MovieClips network consists of its website and 25 YouTube channels, with a catalog of 45,000 curated film clips and trailers. The deal will allow Fandango to monetize the clips …
- U.S. jobless claims rise more than expected last week Reuters - 2 hours 27 minutes ago
The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits increased more than expected last week, but the rise probably does not suggest a shift in labor market conditions as the underlying trend continued to point to strength. Initial claims for state unemployment benefits rose 24,000 to a seasonally adjusted …
- GM posts lower profit after recall; truck pricing strong Reuters - 2 hours 28 minutes ago
General Motors Co (NYS:GM) said on Thursday that first-quarter profit tumbled 88 percent after a massive recall due to defective ignition switches, but results still topped expectations on strong pricing for its redesigned pickup trucks in North America. The quarter included a previously disclosed charge of $1.3 billion …
- US durable goods orders up 2.6 percent in March Associated Press - 2 hours 28 minutes ago
- Applications for US unemployment aid jump to 329K Associated Press - 2 hours 28 minutes ago
The number of people seeking U.S. unemployment benefits surged 24,000 to a seasonally adjusted 329,000 last week, though the gain likely reflected temporary layoffs in the week before Easter. The Labor ...
- U.S. durable goods orders rise broadly, boost growth outlook Reuters - 2 hours 29 minutes ago
Orders for long-lasting U.S. manufactured goods rose more than expected in March and a measure of business capital spending plans surged, bolstering views of an acceleration in growth in the second quarter. The Commerce Department said on Thursday durable goods orders increased 2.6 percent as demand rose across all categories. …
- Applications for US unemployment aid jumped last week to 329K, likely due to Easter layoffs Associated Press - 2 hours 30 minutes ago
Applications for US unemployment aid jumped last week to 329K, likely due to Easter layoffs.
- Southwest Airlines posts a record 1Q profit Associated Press - 2 hours 30 minutes ago
- Air India seeks to lease 14 Airbus A320 aircraft Reuters - 2 hours 31 minutes ago
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Air India Ltd [AIN.UL] is seeking to lease 14 Airbus A320 aircraft, according to a tender document posted on the state-run carrier's website. Air India has asked for bids for up to ...
- Big tech companies offer millions to help with Heartbleed crisis Reuters - 2 hours 31 minutes ago
The world's biggest technology companies have agreed to donate millions of dollars to set up a group that will fund improvements in open source programs like OpenSSL, the software whose "Heartbleed" bug has sent the computer industry into turmoil. Amazon.com Inc, Cisco Systems Inc, Facebook Inc, Google Inc, IBM, Intel …
- Orders for US durable goods up solid 2.6 percent in March with strength in business investment Associated Press - 2 hours 32 minutes ago
Orders for US durable goods up solid 2.6 percent in March with strength in business investment.
- Private equity firm KKR's first-quarter earnings drop 3 percent on fund values Reuters - 2 hours 36 minutes ago
Private equity firm KKR & Co LP (NYS:KKR) on Thursday reported a 3 percent year-on-year drop in first-quarter profit due to a lower appreciation of its investments, overshadowing a near-doubling in fees it received for managing assets and doing deals. The drop in KKR's earnings, however, was much less than most analysts …
- Freeport profit falls, still working on Indonesia dispute Reuters - UK Focus - 2 hours 37 minutes ago
Freeport McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc reported a decline in first quarter profit on Thursday, hurt by lower copper prices and a conflict with the government of Indonesia that has halted its copper concentrate ...
- American Airlines posts first quarter profit Reuters - 2 hours 39 minutes ago
- 3M 1Q results improve, but miss Street's view Associated Press - 2 hours 39 minutes ago
3M's first-quarter net income rose 7 percent, led by sales growth in its health care business. The maker of products from Post-it notes to industrial coatings and ceramics said Thursday that it earned ...
- United loses $609M in 1Q; fares don't cover costs Associated Press - 2 hours 40 minutes ago
- Pirates pilfer fuel from Thai tanker off Malaysia Associated Press - 2 hours 43 minutes ago
Pirates pilfered diesel fuel from a Thai tanker off Malaysia's east coast, making two attacks in a week and raising concerns of a rising threat to shipping, a maritime watchdog said Thursday. The International ...
- Dunkin' says bad weather hurt profit Associated Press - 2 hours 45 minutes ago
Dunkin' Brands on Thursday reported a lower profit for its first quarter, citing severe weather for dampening its U.S. sales. Its net income and sales missed Wall Street expectations and shares fell 3 ...
- Sri Lanka opposition protest to block Packer's casino plans Reuters - 2 hours 49 minutes ago
Hundreds of Sri Lankan opposition party members marched in protest in Colombo on Thursday to pressure the government to stop Australian gambling tycoon James Packer from opening casinos in hotel projects planned by his Crown Resorts Ltd (CWN.AX). President Mahinda Rajapaksa's coalition government holds a two-thirds majority …
- Spanish economic growth seen fastest since 2008 Associated Press - 2 hours 50 minutes ago
Spain's economy expanded by 0.4 percent in the first quarter, the Bank of Spain estimated Thursday, the fastest growth in six years and further evidence the recovery is gathering steam. The quarterly rate ...