- China securities regulator chairman condemns 'barbaric' company buy-outs by asset managers Reuters - 18 minutes ago
The chairman of China's securities regulator condemned "barbaric" leveraged company buy-outs by some asset managers using illegal funds, according to a statement posted on the China Securities Regulatory Commission (CSRC) website on Saturday. "You've ultimately become a robber in the industry, and that is unacceptable," …
- Darth Vader's life-saving suit could work in real life – here's how @ Business Insider UK - 33 minutes ago
"Surprisingly a lot of his suit is actually possible," Jon Chase, co-author of the book The Science of Star Wars, told Business Insider. In this video, Mr. Chase makes a comparison between Darth Vader's suit and Nasa's EMU suit. "The equivalent space suit we use now, used by Nasa, is called the EMU.
- Panel urges better cybersecurity to President-elect Trump Associated Press - 1 hour 27 minutes ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — A presidential commission on Friday made 16 urgent recommendations to improve the nation's cybersecurity, including creating a nutritional-type label to help consumers shop wisely and appointing a new international ambassador on the subject — weeks before President-elect Donald Trump takes office.
- [$$] Apple Drops Hints About Autonomous-Vehicle Project @ The Wall Street Journal - 1 hour 42 minutes ago
Apple took its biggest step toward acknowledging it is working on autonomous vehicles, writing a letter to U.S. regulators offering feedback on proposed guidelines for the emerging technology.
- US moves to block Chinese purchase of German tech firm Aixtron AFP - 2 hours 16 minutes ago
- Step By Step: What It Would Take to Impeach Korea President @ Bloomberg - 2 hours 36 minutes ago
- 'Why have I been charged £20 for a phone call I didn't make?' Telegraph - 3 hours ago
'Why have I been charged £20 for a phone call I didn't make?'
- OPEC to meet non-OPEC producers on Dec. 10 in Vienna - sources Reuters - 3 hours ago
- Weekly Trading Forecast: Fed Hike Speculation Gives Way to ECB Taper DailyFX - 3 hours ago
Weekly Trading Forecast: Fed Hike Speculation Gives Way to ECB Taper
- China Dismisses Unprecedented Trump-Tsai Call as Taiwan Gimmick @ Bloomberg - 4 hours ago
- Some Republicans are applauding Trump's controversial phone call with Taiwan Business Insider - 4 hours ago
Despite widespread fallout from President-elect Donald Trump's phone call with Taiwan's...
- [$$] A Sci-Fi Novel That Imagines the World After Democracy @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
In Emma Newman’s latest, nations have become “gov-corps” and people are fed by the output from 3-D printers.
- [$$] Our Noble Cousin: The Octopus @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
The octopus is curious, adaptable, playful, mischievous, friendly and expressive—just like us. Peter Godfrey-Smith’s book, “Other Minds,” explores the brilliance of these creatures and the deep origins ...
- [$$] The Art of Partying, From Socrates to Capote @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Last week marked the 50th anniversary of Truman Capote’s Black and White Ball. Amanda Foreman on what makes a great party. (Hint: It helps to invite Socrates.)
- [$$] Can a Death-Predicting Algorithm Improve Care? @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
A startup says it can tell which patients will die in the next year and lower their medical costs by providing palliative care in their homes.
- [$$] Laughter Is the Best Medicine to Gauge Social Ties @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
People can tell a lot about two people laughing at the same time--“co -laughers.” Robert M. Sapolsky tells why.
- The Perils of Empathy @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
In politics and policy, trying to feel the pain of others is a bad idea. Empathy distorts our reasoning and makes us biased, tribal and often cruel.
- [$$] Overheard @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Witness investor reaction to a warning from Caterpillar. The earth-moving equipment giant said during an investor conference Thursday that analyst expectations for next year’s adjusted earnings are “too ...
- [$$] Inventory Check: We Went to the Stores @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Heard on the Street is conducting an experiment to see how retailers’ claim that low inventory will mean less discounting is playing out.
- [$$] Markets Watch @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
The head of DRW Investments LLC fielded questions this week in a market-manipulation trial about trades that took place six years ago with Jefferies and MF Global, which one DRW trader described as a “suckers” ...
- U.S. Stocks Mixed After Jobs Report @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
A fading postelection rally put the S&P 500 on course for its first weekly decline since Donald Trump was elected president.
- [$$] U.S. 10-Year Bond Yield Falls From 17-Month High as Bond Rout Stalls @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
The bond rout was taking a breather Friday. Buyers stepped in as a surprise downtick in a gauge of wage inflation offset steady jobs growth in the latest employment report.
- [$$] Pershing’s Ackman Shrinks Losses for the Year @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
William Ackman sliced in half his losses for the year after a strong November at Pershing Square Capital Management.
- [$$] From Multiple Million-Dollar Brokerage Bonuses, to Bankruptcy @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Credit Suisse Group gave up on its wealth-management business in the U.S. last year. But it didn’t give up on collecting from Wilhelm Nash. Mr. Nash is one of a number of former Credit Suisse brokers being ...
- Breitbart Controversy Spotlights Ad Technology Confusion @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Several advertisers say they have pulled advertising from Breitbart following mounting pressure from people using social media, including foods company Kellogg Co., insurer Allstate and eyewear company ...
- [$$] Too Many Railcars, Too Little Freight @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Railcar manufacturers and equipment-leasing companies feasted on high demand to move coal, oil and other commodities from 2012 until last year. Then commodity prices crashed and output slumped.
- [$$] Recent Retirement, Theranos Ties Pose Possible Obstacles for Mattis Confirmation @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Retired Marine Gen. James Mattis, chosen by Donald Trump to be the nation’s next defense secretary, faces a potentially rigorous confirmation process because of his recent retirement from the U.S. military....
- [$$] Mexican Oil Auction Offers First Major Test of Foreign Firms’ Interest @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Mexico is opening what’s considered the crown jewel of its energy industry—deep-water fields in the Gulf of Mexico—to foreign bidders in a move to reverse the nation’s declining crude oil production.
- [$$] United Continental to Pay $2.4 Million SEC Fine In Relation to S.C. Flight @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
United Continental Holdings Inc., bedeviled for more than a year by corruption allegations, brought the episode to what it hopes is a close after it was assessed $2.4 million in penalties by the Securities ...
- [$$] David Sacks Stepping Down as Zenefits CEO @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
He confirmed he is stepping down as chief executive of Zenefits, less than a year after taking over the troubled health-benefits broker.
- [$$] FCC Raises Fresh Concerns Over ‘Zero-Rating’ by AT&T, Verizon @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
The Federal Communications Commission warned AT&T and Verizon that the practice of excluding certain video services from data charges could harm competition.
- [$$] New Tax Rules on Corporate Inversions Face Uncertain Future @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
The Treasury Department spent nearly three years reshaping international corporate transactions and deterring inversions. Now, all that work, capped with a crucial set of final rules in October, could ...
- [$$] Small Stocks Still Offer Some Bang for the Buck @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
When markets go way up, your enthusiasm should go down.
- [$$] The Reasons to Like Small Stocks @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
When markets go up, your enthusiasm should go down.
- [$$] Deutsche Bank to Cut Off Around 3,400 Clients @ The Wall Street Journal - 4 hours ago
Deutsche Bank will cut roughly 3,400 trading clients as part of a broader restructuring designed to slash costs and restore long-term stability to the embattled German lender.