- 2 superpowers were responsible for a big chunk of last year's increase in military spending Business Insider - 2 minutes 7 seconds ago
The 2016 edition of The Military Balance, the Institute for International and Strategic Studies'...
- World Bear Market: Is More Volatility Ahead? @ Bloomberg - 7 minutes ago
- House committee passes bill to privatize air traffic control Associated Press - 8 minutes ago
- The US and Russia just held a passive-aggressive press conference where they announced a ‘cessation of hostilities’ in Syria Business Insider - 9 minutes ago
Major world powers taking part in a meeting of the International Syria Support Group (ISSG)...
- Japanese shares plunge in early trade @ BBC News - 13 minutes ago
Japanese shares open sharply lower on Friday amid concerns over the global economy and following falls in the US and Europe.
- Another Selloff Takes U.S. Stocks to Fresh Year Low @ The Wall Street Journal - 13 minutes ago
Another bad day for U.S. stocks as the selloff that began in November, and picked up steam in January, continues to simply roll along. The new buzzword frightening investors is "negative." Not in reference to stock prices or market moves, mind you, but to interest rates. Sweden's central bank - the first to push interest …
- Stock ETFs Pounded As Panic Grips Markets; Gold At 12-Month High @ Investor's Business Daily - 13 minutes ago
Flagship stock ETFs reeled Thursday as investors fled stocks en masse for less-risky assets. The price of gold, a safe-haven play, hit a 12-month high, and the U.S. 10-year yield dropped to its lowest ...
- Massive gas leak near Los Angeles plugged after 16 weeks Associated Press - 13 minutes ago
- Rio Tinto Plans Dividend Cut Amid Profit Plunge @ Bloomberg - 14 minutes ago
- Insight - Elon Musk's vision is not for the faint of heart Reuters - 15 minutes ago
Musk's electric vehicle startup, Tesla Motors Inc, on Wednesday posted its eleventh straight quarterly loss, when analysts had expected a profit. Tesla also said it planned $1.5 billion in capital spending this year but had just $1.2 billion in the bank. Investors focused instead on Musk's promises to make Tesla profitable …
- Indonesia warns messaging apps to drop same-sex emoticons Associated Press - 20 minutes ago
JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — Human Rights Watch on Friday urged Indonesian President Jokowi Widodo to protect gay and lesbian rights, a day after his government told instant messaging apps to remove stickers featuring same-sex couples in the latest high-profile attempt to discourage visible homosexuality in the socially conservative …
- Dealers Urge Auto Makers to Build More Trucks, Fewer Cars @ The Wall Street Journal - 20 minutes ago
New-car dealers are telling auto makers to limit passenger car production in the face of overwhelming demand for trucks and sport-utility vehicles that is triggering deep discounts on small cars, coupes ...
- Air Force Official Removed for Not Disclosing a Northrop Link @ Bloomberg - 23 minutes ago
- Honda Rekindles a Pickup to Lift U.S. Sales @ The Wall Street Journal - 24 minutes ago
As Americans flock to new trucks and sport-utility vehicles, Honda is putting its marketing muscle behind a revived Ridgeline pickup truck and a wider range of SUVs.
- Google self-driving car effort expands hiring, posts manufacturing jobs Reuters - 26 minutes ago
Alphabet Inc's (GOOGL.O) self-driving project is advertising dozens of jobs on its website with a special focus on manufacturing expertise. Thirty-six jobs related to the Google X car project were listed including engineers working on motion control, displays, robotics and sensors as well as managers charged with operations, …
- Senate panel to hear from U.S. antitrust bosses Reuters - 27 minutes ago
The Senate Judiciary Committee's antitrust subcommittee will hear from the top U.S. antitrust bosses next month to discuss a wave of big mergers over the past year, according to a staffer briefed on the hearing. The Justice Department's Bill Baer, the assistant attorney general for the antitrust division, and Edith Ramirez, …
- Japan Boosts Rhetoric on Yen as Climb Puts Cloud Over Abenomics @ Bloomberg - 28 minutes ago
Japanese officials stepped up their expressions of concern about a soaring yen as the currency’s renewed strength threatened to undermine the government’s Abenomics program to revive the nation’s economy....
- Japan Stock Rout Is Catching China's With Shanghai Shut: Chart @ Bloomberg - 28 minutes ago
- Gold eyes best week in four years as market turmoil boosts haven appeal Reuters - 29 minutes ago
Gold on Friday clung to sharp overnight gains that pushed the metal to a one-year high, and looked set to post its best week in over four years as stock market turmoil stoked safe haven demand. Stock markets fell worldwide on Thursday on fears over the health of the global economy and the banking sector, with MSCI's global …
- Fireplace Mantels to Enjoy ‘Burn Season’ in Style @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
The latest trends in fireplace mantels include designs digitally modeled in 3-D and highly customized hunks of marble; a pattern that mimics a python’s skin.
- On Jumbo Home Loans, Lower Down Payments for High Earners @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
Mortgage lenders may loosen down payment requirements for a so-called “Henry”—an acronym for ‘high earner, not rich yet.’
- Three Houses Built of Stone—Marble Rhinoceroses Included @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
Properties on the market in New Jersey, Maine and Montana.
- [$$] Tales of London’s Elite Home-Buying Agents @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
Unlike the U.S., British home buyers must hire an agent—paying a fee up front—before the house hunt begins. The best of them handle even the most unusual requests.
- TV Host Hoda Kotb on Finding Her Own Way @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
The ‘Today’ show co-anchor recalls how her Egyptian parents created a home in America.
- Asian shares slide as bank fears add to global gloom Reuters - 29 minutes ago
Asian shares slid on Friday as mounting concerns about the health of European banks further threatened a global economic outlook already under strain from falling oil prices and slowdown in China and other emerging markets. "The markets are clearly starting to price in a sharp slowdown in the world economy and even a recession …
- Developer Jared Kushner Sells Puck Building Penthouse for $28 Million @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
The unit in the well-known Soho condo development had been asking $35.1 million.
- A Victorian Home Looks at the Bright Side @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
A native Texan imports bright, modernist design to London when renovating her 130-year-old terraced home.
- Love Thy Neighbor’s House? Why You May Want to Buy It @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
Some homeowners looking to expand in hot real-estate markets like New York and Los Angeles are finding creative ways to buy the home next door
- In Real-Estate, ‘Love’ Hurts and ‘Sexy’ Sells @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
Homes for sale with “sexy” and “seductive” in the property description have higher listing prices than homes with “love” and “loving,” an analysis finds.
- Old-Timers Headline America’s Most-Elite Marathon @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
It’s inspiring that Meb Keflezighi, age 40, could win Saturday’s U.S. Olympic Trials Marathon. It’s also kind of depressing.
- FIFA Election Appears to Be a Race Between Infantino, Salman @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
Gianni Infantino and Sheikh Salman bin Ibrahim al Khalifa appear to be the only candidates for FIFA president that appear capable of reaching the 105-vote majority on Feb. 26.
- [$$] ‘It’s Only a Play’ Review: Insider Comedy for the Masses @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
Terrence McNally’s backstage farce is filled with humor that can be appreciated by everyone from seasoned theatergoers to dramaturgical neophytes.
- ‘11.22.63’ Review: Kennedy and (Stephen) King @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
James Franco stars as a teacher sent back in time to prevent a presidential assassination.
- ‘Vinyl’ Review: An Insiders’ Spin on ‘70s Sex, Drugs and Rock ‘n’ Roll @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
A love of music (and other drugs) drives the hero of HBO’s new show.
- [$$] ‘Prodigal Son’ Review: Out of the Bronx, Into the Fire @ The Wall Street Journal - 29 minutes ago
A blue-collar kid from New York lands a spot at a New Hampshire boarding school, but adjusting isn’t easy.