- Asian shares gain, dollar firm on Fed outlook Reuters - 41 minutes ago
Asian shares gained on Wednesday, taking cues from sharp gains in European and U.S. financial shares while the dollar was underpinned as investors count on the U.S. Federal Reserve to hike U.S. interest rates in coming months. U.S. new home sales data out on Tuesday showed a jump in April to their strongest monthly pace …
- Stung by loss of secrecy at home, Swiss banks run into trouble in Asia Reuters - 43 minutes ago
ZURICH/SINGAPORE, May 24 (Reuters) - Regulators' closure of the Swiss BSI bank's Asian outpost for failing in its duty to prevent money-laundering has highlighted the risks of hunting wealthy clients farther afield as Swiss banks' traditional line in hiding money from foreign tax men is choked off. The Swiss banking watchdog …
- Oil prices climb as U.S. crude stocks seen shrinking Reuters - 43 minutes ago
Oil futures rose on Wednesday after U.S. industry data suggested a larger-than-expected drawdown in crude inventories last week, although a stronger U.S. dollar curbed gains. Oil prices were also supported by an overnight surge in U.S. equities and strong U.S. home sales that could point to the U.S. Federal Reserve raising …
- 3 reasons TSA lines are worse than ever Business Insider - 45 minutes ago
Airport security lines across the US have become unbearable, and checkpoints operated by the...
- [$$] Redstone Taps New Stewards @ The Wall Street Journal - 45 minutes ago
Sumner Redstone has appointed three new stewards of his media holdings, after dismissing top associates from those duties last week.
- This salad chain banned Sriracha and bacon for a ridiculous reason — and customers are freaking out Business Insider - 47 minutes ago
Sweetgreen is cutting bacon and Sriracha from the menu, saying "it's time to make America...
- SpaceX is about to attempt another extremely difficult landing Business Insider - 49 minutes ago
SpaceX is planning to launch its fifth rocket of the year this Thursday at 5:40 p.m. ET....
- Why Sony Shares Are Up Despite Profit Miss @ Bloomberg - 54 minutes ago
- ‘Roberto Burle Marx: Brazilian Modernist’ and ‘Using Walls, Floors, and Ceilings: Beatriz Milhazes’ Review @ The Wall Street Journal - 55 minutes ago
Burle Marx should be remembered for more than his landscapes.
- [$$] An Interior Designer’s Portable Studio @ The Wall Street Journal - 55 minutes ago
Lee Broom carries his creative tools with him whether he’s in Milan, New York or his hometown of London.
- [$$] Armajaro Asset Management CEO Harry Morley Departs @ The Wall Street Journal - 55 minutes ago
The chief executive of commodities hedge fund Armajaro Asset Management LLP, best known for its command of the cocoa market, has left his position.
- [$$] Goldman Plans $1.5 Billion Fund to Take Minority Stakes in Private-Equity Firms @ The Wall Street Journal - 56 minutes ago
Goldman Sachs Group has jumped into the business of buying minority interests in private-equity firms.
- [$$] Chinese Investors Pour Money Into U.S. Property @ The Wall Street Journal - 56 minutes ago
Commercial property sales have slowed in the U.S. this year—but Chinese investors are continuing to plow money into the market.
- A Supergroup That Held Together @ The Wall Street Journal - 56 minutes ago
When country legends joined forces, their careers saw the benefit.
- [$$] Australian Miners Have Sweet Spot in Beef @ The Wall Street Journal - 56 minutes ago
Australian resources companies have been struggling with falling metals and energy prices, but their beef-rearing operations have been doing well as meat prices soar.
- [$$] Twitter Tweaks Will Make 140-Character Limit Roomier @ The Wall Street Journal - 56 minutes ago
Twitter Inc. is sticking with its signature 140-character limit, but the allotment will start to feel a bit longer soon.
- [$$] Toyota and Uber Reach Investment, Lease Partnership @ The Wall Street Journal - 56 minutes ago
Toyota said it had invested in Uber Technologies as part of a strategic alliance aimed at getting more drivers on the ride-hailing service.
- [$$] Bank of America Tipster Gets to Keep His Reward @ The Wall Street Journal - 56 minutes ago
An appeals court threw out the penalty against the bank, but rules allow whistleblower to retain $58 million.
- [$$] Startup Employees Invoke Obscure Law to Open Up Books @ The Wall Street Journal - 56 minutes ago
A Delaware corporate law, which can compel locally incorporated firms to open their books to shareholders, is a potentially valuable tool for thousands of tech workers and other small investors questioning ...
- Nyquist Spikes Fever, Out for Belmont Stakes @ The Wall Street Journal - 56 minutes ago
A rematch between Kentucky Derby winner Nyquist and Preakness Stakes winner Exaggerator will have to wait.
- [$$] Paradise, Hawaiian Style in Oahu Development @ The Wall Street Journal - 56 minutes ago
Howard Hughes Corp. is redeveloping 60 acres between downtown Honolulu and Waikiki, with plans to transform a low-density shopping and industrial area to residential and park space with potentially more ...
- NBA Basketball Runs in the Family @ The Wall Street Journal - 56 minutes ago
A new WSJ study finds 48.8% of NBA players are related to an elite athlete—that number is 17.5% for the NFL and 14.5% for MLB.
- [$$] El Niño Draws to an End @ The Wall Street Journal - 56 minutes ago
The El Niño weather phenomenon that plagued Asia since the second quarter of 2015 has now ended, Australia’s Bureau of Meteorology said.
- If Steven Matz Proves Anything, It’s That Wins Aren’t So Important @ The Wall Street Journal - 57 minutes ago
What does the Mets’ rookie left-hander have in common with Mel Stottlemyre, Cal Eldred, Bob Wickman and a few others? He won 10 of his first 13 career starts. Clearly, victories aren’t the best way to ...
- [$$] The Next Big Housing Short: a $6.5 Billion Bet Against Australia’s Banks @ The Wall Street Journal - 57 minutes ago
The funds are placing a large number of ‘short’ wagers on Australia’s biggest banks, among the world’s most profitable, suggesting the lenders might be headed for trouble.
- [$$] Will Fannie and Freddie Need Another Bailout? @ The Wall Street Journal - 57 minutes ago
The core businesses of the mortgage-finance companies are remarkably healthy. But a mix of accounting and politics could cause one or both to need another taxpayer bailout.
- [$$] Swiss Bank Is Charged Over 1MDB Dealings @ The Wall Street Journal - 57 minutes ago
Authorities in Switzerland and Singapore took action against Swiss private bank BSI SA for allegedly failing to prevent suspected money laundering and bribery related to its dealings with a Malaysian development ...
- [$$] Senator’s Bill Pushes for More State Contracts for LGBT Firms @ The Wall Street Journal - 57 minutes ago
New York state Sen. Brad Hoylman plans to announce legislation on Wednesday that would push for more state contracts to go to small businesses owned by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, as ...
- [$$] OPEC’s Ability to Ease An Oil Supply Shock is Now Fading @ The Wall Street Journal - 57 minutes ago
OPEC has neither the political consensus to cut output nor the technical capability to significantly raise production.
- [$$] Rising Dollar Shakes Up Markets @ The Wall Street Journal - 57 minutes ago
A resurgent dollar is rattling investments in many commodities and emerging markets, marking a retreat from riskier assets following a sharp 2016 rebound.
- [$$] Domino’s Pizza Helped Franchisees Cheat Workers Out of Pay, Lawsuit Claims @ The Wall Street Journal - 57 minutes ago
In the latest dispute over the legal relationship between companies and their franchisees, New York’s attorney general claims in a lawsuit that Domino’s Pizza is responsible for its franchisees underpaying ...
- Atlanta, Miami and L.A. Win Super Bowl Bids @ The Wall Street Journal - 57 minutes ago
The NFL announced at its annual spring meeting on Tuesday that Atlanta will host Super Bowl LIII. Miami will host Super Bowl LIV and Super Bowl LV in 2021 will be held in Los Angeles.
- [$$] Grandfather’s Dilemma: Am I a PopPop or a Skipper? @ The Wall Street Journal - 57 minutes ago
More grandparents want to be called by a name that suits them; consulting the name generator.
- [$$] The Restaurant Took Your Favorite Dish Off the Menu: Now What? @ The Wall Street Journal - 57 minutes ago
Diners at many classic restaurants often have personal favorites on the menu. So what happens when a classic dish reinvents itself? WSJ contributor Alina Dizik discusses with Tanya Rivero. Photo: Brian ...
- [$$] ObamaCare: A Crony Capitalist’s Best Friend @ The Wall Street Journal - 57 minutes ago
Congress blocked the law’s bailout of insurers—who are now suing to reinstate the sweetheart deal.