Chris Eubank Jr insists he is ready for a “big-name” fight after easing to victory on his comeback to the ring.
The former IBO super-middleweight and WBA interim middleweight champion forced Germany’s Wanik Awdijan to retire before the sixth round of Saturday night’s one-sided contest in Newcastle, claiming that a vicious body shot broke his opponent’s rib and prevented him from continuing.
It was Eubank Jr’s 31st win in his 33rd professional contest and a first bout since May, when he outpointed Marcus Morrison in a low-key affair in Manchester.
The 32-year-old was initally set to headline Sky Sports’ first Boxxer show at Wembley Arena earlier this month, but the bout was cancelled due to medical concerns regarding Anatoli Muratov, who himself was a late replacement for Sven Elbir.
Now Eubank Jr has his sights set on a high-profile clash, having previously gone toe-to-toe with the likes of James DeGale, George Groves and Billy Joe Saunders.
"A big fight against a big name, in a fan friendly fight,” Eubank Jr said of his desires for the future. “We are back.”
On his performance, he added: “With everything that has happened over the last few months, it is good to be home.
“This is my home in that circle. I would have liked to have put on more of a show, but the guy said I broke his rib and he couldn’t continue.
“It is what it is and we trained hard for this fight. We were told he was orthodox and that is what I prepared for, but the guy came out southpaw. Some guys can take shots to the head all day but nobody can take body shots all day. We are onto the next one in December.”
Eubank Jr’s trainer, legendary former four-weight world champion Roy Jones Jr, believes his man is ready for the big challenges that lie ahead amid talk of a world title eliminator with Liam Williams or that long-awaited rematch against Saunders.
“With the change of opponent we had to be ready for whoever showed up,” Jones Jr said.
“He is ready for the big names and to see him patiently take someone out with body shots was a beautiful thing for me.”
Earlier at the Utilita Arena Newcastle, Hughie Fury stopped Christian Hammer before the sixth round of their heavyweight battle.
Tyson’s cousin is looking to return to world level having previously challenged for belts against Joseph Parker and Alexander Povetkin.
“It was very easy in there. I had a lot more to offer and the plan was to shorten the distance,” Fury said.
“The stoppage was coming no matter what, he was getting hit constantly and why don’t you ask him how good I am? Respect to him, he took the fight. I’m a fighting man and this is what I do.
“No one hits him as fluently as that and my dad told me to play with my shots.”