A number of countries have reported their first deaths from the coronavirus this week as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to spread.
The virus, which first first broke out in Wuhan, China, has caused more than 10,000 deaths globally
The World Health Organisation (WHO) recently declared Europe as the new epicentre of the disease.
Latest coronavirus news, updates and advice
While parts of the world are experiencing a dramatic rise in fatalities, some nations are at the beginning of an outbreak.
Here are 10 countries that have confirmed their first deaths from COVID-19 since Monday 16 March:
Russia confirmed it’s first COVID-19 related death on Thursday. The City of Moscow’s coronavirus crisis centre confirmed that a woman aged 79 had died from pneumonia in the capital after being diagnosed with the virus.
In a subsequent statement it said she had died because of a detached blood clot.
According to Reuters, the federal government’s crisis centre did not include her death in its own daily bulletin about the number of cases.
Local media identified the woman as a professor at Moscow’s Gubkin State University of Oil and Gas.
The country has reported 199 coronavirus cases so far, a figure that has risen sharply in recent days.
Russia has temporarily barred entry to foreigners and imposed restrictions on flights and public gatherings. Authorities say anyone who arrives in Russia must now self-isolate for a 14-day period.
Northern Ireland’s first confirmed death from COVID-19 was announced on Thursday.
The patient was male, elderly, had an underlying medical condition and was being treated in a hospital in the greater Belfast area.
The patient was among the 77 people who have tested positive for COVID-19 in Northern Ireland.
Northern Ireland’s First Minister Arlene Foster said: “This is a sad day for Northern Ireland. I’d like to express our sympathies to the family and friends of the patient who has died – to them I would say please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you at this very troubled time.”
The Costa Rican health ministry confirmed that it had reported its first death due to coronavirus on Wednesday.
The victim was an 87-year-old man who had been admitted to a hospital west of the capital San Jose.
President Carlos Alvarado wrote on Twitter: “At 4:15 p.m. the first person in Costa Rica died as a result of COVID-19, a senior citizen.
“We stand in solidarity with his family... Only together and with solidarity will we pass through this national emergency.”
Costa Rica has so far confirmed 69 cases of COVID-19.
Mexico reported its first death on Thursday, a 41-year-old man who was suffering from diabetes.
The number of cases in the country jumped by 27% in the 24 hours from Wednesday and Thursday, from 93 to 118.
The man had registered symptoms since 9 March, the ministry said on its Twitter account.
President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador ruled out closing airports and other tough measures to curb the pandemic in order to prevent a complete shutdown of the economy.
Croatia reported its first death on Thursday, a 70-year-old man.
The eastern European country has so far confirmed 102 cases of COVID-19.
Moldova confirmed its first death on Wednesday while the cases in the country increased to 30.
The news followed the nation declaring a state of emergency on Tuesday.
On Monday, Bahrain confirmed its first fatality, a 65-year-old woman, who was put under quarantine after she contracted the coronavirus.
Bahrain News Agency quoted the Health Ministry as saying the woman suffered from chronic health problems prior to her death.
There are 278 COVID-19 cases in the country, according to data released by Johns Hopkins University.
The number of cases in Pakistan has reached 236.
The country also confirmed its first death in Lahore, Punjab this week. The patient is reported to have recently arrived from Iran.
Prime Minister Imran Khan said that Pakistan cannot currently afford the economic cost of closing down its cities.
On Tuesday, Malaysia confirmed its first two deaths from COVID-19.
The first was a 60-year-old pastor, the Sarawak state confirmed.
The government also said 193 close contacts of the deceased were traced and have been placed under home quarantine.
The second casualty in the nation was a 34-year-old man, who is thought to have attended a mass religious gathering Kuala Lumpur in February.
On Friday, Malaysia registered 130 new cases, bringing the total to 1,030.
Portugal reported its first six coronavirus deaths this week, with the government warning they expect more to follow.
On Monday, Health Minister Marta Temido confirmed an 80-year-old man with pre-existing conditions died at a Lisbon hospital, becoming the nation’s first fatality.
Reuters reported that Antonio Vieira Monteiro, the chairman of Santander Portugal, died from the coronavirus on Wednesday.
Portuguese newspaper Jornal Economico said Vieira Monteirom, 73, was placed in quarantine earlier this month after returning from a trip to Italy. He had remained in intensive care in a Lisbon hospital since last week.
On Friday, the number of confirmed cases of infection rose 1,020 - an increase of 235 cases in 24 hours.