Joe Burrow will have quite the trophy collection at the end of the season.
The LSU QB and presumptive Heisman winner won the Davey O’Brien Award (best quarterback) and Maxwell Award (best player) Thursday night at the college football awards ceremony.
Burrow beat out Ohio State QB Justin Fields and Oklahoma QB Jalen Hurts for the Davey O’Brien Award and Hurts and Ohio State DE Chase Young for the Maxwell. All three of the guys Burrow beat are also Heisman Trophy finalists. Burrow will very likely win the award on Saturday night. And it could be in a voting landslide.
Burrow has thrown for an SEC-record 48 touchdowns in 2019 as LSU’s offense has become one of the most potent in the country. Burrow has also completed 78 percent of his passes and thrown for 4,715 yards.
He also could become the second quarterback in three years to win all three of the Heisman, Maxwell and Davey O’Brien Awards in the same season. Oklahoma Baker Mayfield won them all in 2017. Last year, Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray won the Heisman and Davey O’Brien Award while Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa took home the Maxwell.
While Burrow cleaned up, Young didn’t leave the awards show empty-handed either. He won the Bednarik Award given to the best defensive player.
Jonathan Taylor wins second Doak Walker Award
The guy considered the best running back in 2019 was also the guy deemed to be the best running back in 2018. Wisconsin RB Jonathan Taylor won the Doak Walker Award for the second-straight season on Thursday night.
Taylor has rushed for 1,909 yards in 2019 and has rushed for over 1,900 yards in each of his three seasons with the Badgers. He has 6,080 career rushing yards and could pass former San Diego State RB Donnell Pumphrey for the most rushing yards all-time (officially) in the Rose Bowl against Oregon. But that would take a huge game. Pumphrey has 6,405 career rushing yards.
LSU gets other honors
Burrow was not the only person with LSU affiliations to win something on Thursday. S Grant Delpit won the Jim Thorpe Award for best defensive back and WR Ja’Marr Chase won the Biletnikoff Award for best wide receiver. Delpit has 56 tackles and two interceptions while Chase has 73 catches for 1,498 yards and 18 touchdowns.
LSU coach Ed Orgeron was awarded the Home Depot Coach of the Year award while LSU passing game coordinator Joe Brady got the Broyles Award earlier in the week for best assistant coach.
• Walter Camp Player of the Year: LSU QB Joe Burrow
• Davey O’Brien Award: LSU QB Joe Burrow
• Outland Trophy: Oregon OL Penei Sewell
• Doak Walker Award: Wisconsin RB Jonathan Taylor
• Jim Thorpe Award: LSU DB Grant Delpit
• Lou Groza Award: Georgia K Rodrigo Blankenship
• Bednarik Award: Ohio State DL Chase Young
• Ray Guy Award: Kentucky P Max Duffy
• Biletnikoff Award: LSU WR Ja’Marr Chase
• Maxwell Award: LSU QB Joe Burrow
• Rimington Trophy: Wisconsin C Tyler Biadasz
• John Mackey Award: Florida Atlantic TE Harrison Bryant
• Home Depot Coach of the Year: LSU coach Ed Orgeron
• Broyles Award: LSU passing game coordinator Joe Brady
– – – – – –
Nick Bromberg is a writer for Yahoo Sports
More from Yahoo Sports: