UK Markets closed
  • NIKKEI 225

    +213.07 (+0.74%)

    +103.23 (+0.36%)

    +0.57 (+0.80%)

    -13.60 (-0.72%)
  • DOW

    -221.72 (-0.64%)

    +2,590.40 (+9.91%)
  • CMC Crypto 200

    +43.39 (+4.48%)
  • Nasdaq

    +60.80 (+0.43%)
  • ^FTAS

    +6.24 (+0.15%)

Man jailed following fatal stabbing at dinner party in east London

·2-min read
<p>Vasile Firanda</p> (Met Police)

Vasile Firanda

(Met Police)

A man has been sentenced to 10 years in prison after stabbing two people at a dinner party in Dagenham, east London.

Vasile Firanda, 61, appeared at Woolwich Crown Court on Thursday where he was sentenced for the manslaughter of Viorel Stefan, 49, and grievous bodily harm committed against a 55-year-old woman.

This comes after he pleaded guilty to both offences on November 23 2020 at the same court.

The dinner party had been held at a residential property on Marlborough Rd on December 14 2019, where Mr Firanda had a significant amount of alcohol.

All of those at the dinner party were Romanian, however the victim, and one other, came from a Romanian region where Ukrainian is spoken.

During a conversation, they slipped into their native tongue.

Mr Firanda, who is also Romanian and doesn’t speak Ukrainian, became angry that he could not follow the conversation.

An argument broke out between Mr Stefan and Mr Firanda.

In the midst of this conflict, the woman attempted to intervene, but Mr Firanda stabbed her in the back of the hand.

He then stabbed Mr Stefan twice in the back.

Police were called to reports of a stabbing at 10.10pm, where Mr Stefan was found suffering from knife wounds to the back.

He died at the scene at 10.39pm.

The woman was also found suffering from knife wounds and was treated at the scene before being taken to an east London hospital.

Her injuries were not life-threatening.

Mr Firanda was then arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder and taken to an east London police station where he was subsequently charged with murder and GBH.

A blood sample taken from Mr Firanda showed his blood/alcohol level to be three-and-a-half times the legal driving limit.

Detective Chief Inspector Laurence Smith said: “This was a sad and needless loss of life. A personal affront, fuelled by alcohol, so quickly became violent.

“It is unlikely that we will ever know the full details of the events that led to the death of Viorel Stefan as the accounts provided by the defendant were changing and conflicting as our investigation progressed.

“What is clear is that the wounds that killed Mr Stefan were undoubtedly inflicted by Vasile Firanda and he now faces 10 years in prison for his violent actions."

Read More

Numis shows the City at its best

Starmer faces a ‘mountain to climb’ after Hartlepool defeat

Conservatives win Hartlepool in major defeat for Labour