UK markets closed
  • NIKKEI 225

    -971.34 (-2.36%)

    +39.00 (+0.22%)

    -0.45 (-0.54%)

    -12.30 (-0.50%)
  • DOW

    -533.06 (-1.29%)
  • Bitcoin GBP

    -761.55 (-1.53%)
  • CMC Crypto 200

    -10.60 (-0.80%)
  • NASDAQ Composite

    -125.70 (-0.70%)
  • UK FTSE All Share

    +12.15 (+0.27%)

Man who tried to kill social worker checking on children in north London given hospital order

Noel Park Road, Wood Green (Google Maps)
Noel Park Road, Wood Green (Google Maps)

A man who tried to kill a social worker and slashed two police officers with knives as they checked on vulnerable children in north London has been sentenced.

Sulai Bukhari, 35, has been given a hospital order under the Mental Health Act, for the attempted murder of the social worker, who he stabbed eight times.

A Haringey Council worker visited to a property in Noel Park Road, Wood Green, to check on the welfare of children, shortly before 8pm on August 6, 2021.

Police were called to help and when the social worker was not allowed in, officers forced entry.

While they were inside talking to people who lived there, Bukhari – who had been hiding around the corner – saw his opportunity and approached the 61-year-old male social worker outside the home.


He was carrying two Swiss Army-style knives, and used them both to stab the social worker multiple times.

Hearing the commotion, officers ran outside to help the social worker.

In their efforts to restrain Bukhari two of the three male officers were also injured – one receiving a laceration to his armpit as his protective vest bore the brunt of the attack; and the second suffering injuries to his neck, chest and arms.

Bukhari was detained and taken into police custody.

The social worker was taken to hospital with eight stab wounds to his chest, abdomen, shoulder and arms.

The two injured officers received hospital treatment and were discharged.

Bukhari, of Noel Park Road, was found guilty at the Old Bailey of the attempted murder of the social worker, as well as two counts of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm with intent following his assault on the officers.

At the same court on Monday, he was given a hospital order under Section 37 of the Mental Health Act, and a restriction order under Section 41 of the same act.

Detective Constable Elliott Hughes, from the North Area Command, said: “It is only thanks to sheer luck that the main victim of this incident was not more seriously injured.

“The long-lasting impact on him has been substantial and he now suffers from ongoing pain due to the injuries as well as the significant psychological effect of such an incident.

“We are reminded with this case of the constant danger some public sector workers face simply by doing their job. On a daily basis they put themselves in harm’s way to protect the public.”