Advertisement
UK markets closed
  • NIKKEI 225

    38,460.08
    +907.92 (+2.42%)
     
  • HANG SENG

    17,201.27
    +372.34 (+2.21%)
     
  • CRUDE OIL

    82.84
    -0.52 (-0.62%)
     
  • GOLD FUTURES

    2,328.90
    -13.20 (-0.56%)
     
  • DOW

    38,460.92
    -42.77 (-0.11%)
     
  • Bitcoin GBP

    51,529.57
    -1,706.22 (-3.21%)
     
  • CMC Crypto 200

    1,385.35
    -38.75 (-2.72%)
     
  • NASDAQ Composite

    15,712.75
    +16.11 (+0.10%)
     
  • UK FTSE All Share

    4,374.06
    -4.69 (-0.11%)
     

Mason Greenwood: Police ‘deliberately ignored’ bail breaches by Manchester United star during investigation

Mason Greenwood: Police ‘deliberately ignored’ bail breaches by Manchester United star during investigation

Police officers were accused of deliberately ignoring breaches of bail by Manchester United striker Mason Greenwood while he was under criminal investigation, it can now be revealed.

The 21-year-old was arrested last January and faced criminal charges of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault in October 2022.

At his first court appearance, it was revealed Greenwood had breached a condition of his bail not to contact the alleged victim in the case.

Details can now be revealed after the Crown Prosecution Service announced that all charges against the Premier League footballer have been dropped.

ADVERTISEMENT

“He was arrested on Saturday morning for breaching his police conditional bail”, prosecutor Rebecca Macaulay-Addison told the magistrates court hearing in October.

“He was found in the company of the complainant.”

Greenwood’s lawyer, David Toal, admitted the breach had taken place, saying: “I absolutely concede it is his responsibility to abide by all bail conditions imposed.”

He told the court: “Contact has occurred for many months.”

But Mr Toal added that it was “no secret” to Greater Manchester Police, putting forward a robust argument that Greenwood believed the breaches had been tacitly approved.

District Judge Mark Hadfield expressed “real concern” at the news, saying: “What I am being told is the defendant flagrantly breached the conditions over weeks or even months and police haven’t done anything about it.”

He insisted: “If they suspected breaches of bail, the police should be doing something about it but haven’t – why not?

“What’s the point of someone being on bail conditions if the police don’t enforce them?”

The judge denied Greenwood bail at the hearing on October 17, 2022, and remanded him in custody.

However, the decision was overturned on appeal two days later, at a private hearing at Manchester Minshull Street crown court.

Announcing the decision to drop the case on Thursday, Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, GMP’s head of public protection, said: “Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this.

“The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.”

Greenwood has been suspended by Manchester United since news of his arrest in January last year was confirmed.

In a statement, the CPS said: “In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case. “We have explained our decision to all parties. We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met.”

Greenwood said he is "relieved" after the charges against him were dropped.

In a short statement released on his behalf on Thursday, the 21-year-old said: "I am relieved that this matter is now over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support. There will be no further comment at this time."

Greater Manchester Police have been contacted for comment.