UK markets closed
  • NIKKEI 225

    +0.34 (+0.00%)

    +65.39 (+0.23%)

    +0.06 (+0.08%)

    -8.10 (-0.45%)
  • DOW

    +335.61 (+0.99%)

    +713.11 (+2.94%)
  • CMC Crypto 200

    +50.30 (+6.39%)
  • ^IXIC

    +62.88 (+0.44%)
  • ^FTAS

    +11.72 (+0.29%)

Premier League title party put on hold after Manchester City beaten by Chelsea

·4-min read

Manchester City’s Premier League title party was put on hold as Chelsea fought back to win 2-1 at the Etihad Stadium.

City hosted Thomas Tuchel’s men, whom they will also face in the Champions League final, knowing that a victory would secure a third Premier League title in four years.

Raheem Sterling had broken the deadlock just before half-time when he slotted the ball in after Sergio Aguero’s heavy touch from a cutback by Gabriel Jesus.

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

Aguero then had the opportunity to double City’s lead moments later after Billy Gilmour bundled Jesus over in the area to concede a penalty.

However, the Argentinian forward saw his attempted Panenka easily saved by Edouard Mendy, who stayed on his feet to make a comfortable stop.

It proved a costly error as Chelsea equalised just after the hour when Rodri was caught in possession on the halfway line.

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

Cesar Azpilicueta broke down the right before pulling the ball back to Hakim Ziyech, who drilled a low shot into the bottom corner past Ederson.

Timo Werner and Callum Hudson-Odoi both had goals ruled out for offside, while City saw a couple of penalty shouts turned down by referee Anthony Taylor.

In stoppage time, Marcos Alonso slotted in after Werner pulled the ball back into the six-yard box to complete the turnaround as Chelsea moved third in the table.

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

In Saturday’s 12.30pm kick-off, Leeds dented Tottenham’s Champions League ambitions with a 3-1 win at Elland Road.

Stuart Dallas put the home side ahead from close range in the 13th minute, but Son Heung-min soon pulled Spurs level before Harry Kane saw a goal ruled out by VAR for a marginal offside.

Marcelo Bielsa’s side, though, were back in front just ahead of half-time when Patrick Bamford ended his recent goal drought, with England boss Gareth Southgate watching on from the stands.

Tottenham forward Harry Kane appears dejected
Tottenham forward Harry Kane endured a frustrating afternoon at Elland Road (Jason Cairnduff/PA)

Another Kane goal was flagged offside and the England captain’s free-kick clipped the top of the crossbar before Leeds substitute Rodrigo wrapped up the points when he struck with six minutes left.

A first Premier League defeat under interim boss Ryan Mason leaves Spurs in seventh, while Leeds climb back into the top half of the table.

Liverpool later moved up into the top six with a 2-0 win over Southampton at Anfield.

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

The Reds created several early chances, with a header from Georginio Wijnaldum dropping onto the crossbar while at the other end, Alisson made a crucial save to deny Che Adams.

Liverpool broke to take the lead in the 31st minute when Mohamed Salah’s cross was met by former Saints striker Sadio Mane, whose downward header went in at the far post.

Southampton offered more of a threat in the second half and were presented with a chance when Alison gave possession to Adams on the edge of the penalty area.

Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson saves a shot against Southampton
Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson almost handed Southampton a way back into the match (Paul Ellis/PA)

The Scotland striker, though, did not get enough on his shot to trouble the relieved Brazilian keeper.

Mane saw a late effort ruled out by an offside flag before Thiago did rifle in a second goal during stoppage time as Liverpool closed to within six points of the top four – and having played a game less than Leicester.

Christian Benteke marked his 100th Premier League start for Crystal Palace with a goal inside the opening two minutes of a 2-0 victory at bottom club Sheffield United.

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

The Belgium forward met a cross from Eberechi Eze, which went in after coming off Blades defender George Baldock.

United, who have already been relegated, missed the chance to draw level early in the second half when John Egan fired over following a corner.

Benteke was denied a second goal just before the hour when his shot was touched onto the post by Blades goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale.

With two minutes left, Eze made sure of the points when he scored after a solo run, again via the aid of a deflection, as Roy Hodgson’s men ended a run of three straight league defeats to move onto 41 points, which secures their top-flight status once again.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting