UK markets open in 5 hours 11 minutes
  • NIKKEI 225

    26,821.73
    +388.11 (+1.47%)
     
  • HANG SENG

    26,484.59
    +143.10 (+0.54%)
     
  • CRUDE OIL

    45.02
    -0.32 (-0.71%)
     
  • GOLD FUTURES

    1,784.30
    +3.40 (+0.19%)
     
  • DOW

    29,638.64
    -271.73 (-0.91%)
     
  • BTC-GBP

    14,703.97
    +75.50 (+0.52%)
     
  • CMC Crypto 200

    385.24
    +20.64 (+5.66%)
     
  • ^IXIC

    12,198.74
    -7.11 (-0.06%)
     
  • ^FTAS

    3,542.87
    -50.81 (-1.41%)
     

Prince Andrew 'hasn't kept his promise' to help Epstein investigation, says lawyer

Rebecca Taylor
·Royal Correspondent
·3-min read
Britain's Prince Andrew, Duke of York, leaves following the Royal family Christmas Day church service at St Mary Magdalene Church in Sandringham, Norfolk, in the east of England, on December 25, 2012. AFP PHOTO / LEON NEAL        (Photo credit should read LEON NEAL/AFP via Getty Images)
Andrew at church on Christmas Day in 2012. (Leon Neal/AFP)

A lawyer representing alleged victims of Jeffrey Epstein has said it is “outrageous” that Prince Andrew has not yet spoken to US authorities about his friendship with the disgraced financier.

On 17 November last year, the Duke of York gave a disastrous interview to BBC Newsnight and ended up stepping back from his senior royal duties amid the fallout.

At the time of the interview, he pledged to help authorities in New York as they investigate the allegations that were made against Epstein, but he’s been accused of failing to keep the promise.

Lisa Bloom, who represents six of Epstein’s alleged victims, has called again on Andrew, 60, to speak to the FBI about Epstein.

The FBI is investigating Andrew’s friend Ghislaine Maxwell, who they arrested on sex trafficking offences.

No charges against Andrew have been made and he denies allegations against him.

File photo dated 08/05/17 of Lisa Bloom, who represents six of Jeffrey Epstein's alleged victims, has branded it "outrageous" that a year has passed since the Duke of York publicly promised to co-operate with the US authorities.
Lisa Bloom, here in 2017, represents six of Jeffrey Epstein's alleged victims. (PA Images)

Read more: What has Prince Andrew said about his friendship with Ghislaine Maxwell?

Bloom told the PA news agency: “How outrageous that it’s been a year since Prince Andrew publicly promised to co-operate with law enforcement investigating all those who enabled Jeffrey Epstein’s sexual assaults on hundreds of women and girls.

“He simply has not kept that promise. Meanwhile, the six victims I represent struggle to repair their lives.

“We implore Prince Andrew to submit to an interview with the FBI investigation of Ghislaine Maxwell and other accused co-conspirators, to tell what he knows, to turn over documents and evidence, and to instruct his staff to do so as well.

“It is never too late to do the right thing.”

A spokeswoman for the duke’s lawyers declined to comment.

Watch: Pressure mounts on Prince Andrew

Read more: One year on from Prince Andrew's 'Newsnight' interview: What's happened since he stepped back from royal duties?

Andrew has previously said he has offered help on three occasions, accusing the US Department of Justice of breaching confidentiality rules by suggesting he hadn’t made a statement.

The duke is accused by Virginia Giuffre of having sex with her when she was trafficked by Epstein and once when she was a minor in US law. He says he does not recall meeting her.

In the BBC Newsnight interview with Emily Maitlis he said he didn’t regret his friendship with Epstein, who had already served time for sex offences when he stayed at his home in New York.

The fallout from the interview led to him seeking permission from the Queen to step back from his royal duties, though there have been reports in recent weeks that he wants to return to them.

A statement released in November 2019 from the duke read: “The circumstances relating to my former association with Jeffrey Epstein has become a major disruption to my family’s work.”

He said he “unequivocally regret my ill-judged association” and promised to help “any appropriate law enforcement agency”.

However there’s been a transatlantic war of words between the duke and the US authorities who have accused him of not co-operating.

Andrew’s lawyers said the US authorities were “seeking publicity” rather than help and that he had made contact with the team.

Pressure has continued to build on the duke, particularly after Maxwell’s arrest in July.