- Tuition fees would drop to £6,000 under Labour Sharecast - 6 hours ago
Ed Miliband has confirmed that if elected, Labour will cut tuition fees in England to £6,000 from autumn 2006.
- London close: Stocks inch lower as US data and comes in mixed Sharecast - 7 hours ago
Despite setting a new intraday record just before the close, the FTSE 100 finished just a few points lower on Friday as investors took profits after a batch of mixed economic data from the States.
- Europe close: Stocks gain on Greek bailout extension approval, unexpected rise in German inflation Sharecast - 7 hours ago
European stocks gained after Germany approved Greece's bailout extension and after a report showed German inflation rose expectedly in February.
- Market overview: FTSE ends slightly lower after slate of US economic data Sharecast - 7 hours ago
1630 (Close): The FTSE ended down 3.07 points to 6946.66 as investors weighed a batch of economic data in the US. Reports showed US gross domestic product in the fourth quarter slowed in the fourth quarter ...
- Premier African Minerals hires mining funding veteran Sharecast - 7 hours ago
The hiring of mining veteran Michael Foster by AIM-listed Premier African Minerals has been hailed by analysts at Shore Capital.
- FTSE 250 movers: Rightmove up on strong annual results, IMI struggles with demand and currency Sharecast - 7 hours ago
Rightmove was top of the risers as Cannacord Genuity upgraded its rating on the stock from 'hold' to 'buy' on better-than-expected annual results. The broker also hiked its target price for the shares ...
- ITV confirms takeover talks with John de Mol's £500m-plus Talpa Media Sharecast - 8 hours ago
Broadcaster and programme maker ITV has confirmed it is in takeover talks with Talpa Media, the maker of reality television and dramas including 'The Voice' and 'Utopia' that has been valued at over £500m....
- Petrofac CFO buys shares following better-than-expected interim results Sharecast - 8 hours ago
Petrofac's financial officer increased his stake in the group two days after releasing a good set of full-year results.
- Quindell drops after it asks shareholders to be patient with review Sharecast - 9 hours ago
Insurance claims processor Quindell saw its shares slip on Friday after it asked its shareholders to be patient while it completes an independent review.
- US consumer confidence falls for the first time in seven months Sharecast - 9 hours ago
US consumer confidence declined in February, retreating from an 11-year high in the wake of rises in fuel costs and severe winter weather in parts of the country.
- Chicago PMI tumbles to five and half year low in February Sharecast - 9 hours ago
The Chicago Purchasing Managers' Index tumbled to 45.8 from 59.4 in February, its lowest level in five and a half years.
- US GDP falls from 2.6% to 2.2% in the fourth quarter Sharecast - 11 hours ago
US gross domestic product in the fourth quarter fell to 2.2% from a 2.6% in the previous quarter, but above analysts' expectations of a 2.0% reading.
- German consumer price index above forecast in February Sharecast - 11 hours ago
German preliminary consumer price index (CPI) inflation rose 0.1% year-on-year in February, compared with expectations of a 0.3% contraction and after a 0.4% decline in January.
- IMI profits hit by weak European demand and currency headwinds Sharecast - 12 hours ago
Engineer IMI said a strategic review and challenging market conditions weighed on its full year pre-tax profit but said it was already starting to see benefits from its new strategic plan.
- Broker tips: Lloyds, RBS, Rightmove Sharecast - 12 hours ago
Shares in banking group Lloyds edged higher on Friday after shareholders celebrated their first dividend payment in six years, though weaker-than-expected results prompted Shore Capital to retain a 'hold' ...
- Asia: Stocks mixed on Japanese data, Chinese stimulus speculation Sharecast - 13 hours ago
Asian stocks were mixed following the release of a raft of Japanese data.
- Electrocomponents appoints new group chief executive Sharecast - 13 hours ago
Electrocomponents has appointed Lindsley Ruth its new chief executive (CEO). He will take on the role from 1 April 2015.
- Friday newspaper round-up: Greek bailout, Ukraine gas, National Rail Sharecast - 13 hours ago
Germany is expected to approve a new bailout deal for Greece on Friday, The Telegraph reported.
- German parliament approves 4-month extension to Greece's bailout Sharecast - 14 hours ago
LONDON (ShareCast) -
- William Hill falls as pre-tax profits falls on higher expenses Sharecast - 14 hours ago
William Hill has reported a 9% drop in annual pre-tax profit to £233.9m as the gaming company's expenses increased.
- Pearson publishes flat sales but more stable markets in 2015, appoints new CFO Sharecast - 14 hours ago
Closing out a two-year restructuring programme, Pearson has delivered results broadly in line with expectations and expressed confidence about returning to earnings growth in 2015 as its markets stabilise....
- IAG turnaround takes off as profits soar, guidance lifted Sharecast - 15 hours ago
Full year profits soared at International Consolidated Airlines in 2014 as its turnaround looks to be truly taking off, with the Anglo-Spanish carrier steering toward a near-doubling of operating profits ...
- Old Mutual profit rises 16% on economic growth in US and UK Sharecast - 16 hours ago
Improving economic growth in Britain and the US saw insurance and investment group Old Mutual report a 16% increase in its operating profit for 2014, after a year of significant strategic development.
- Lloyds Banking Group resurrects dividend as profits surge but miss forecasts Sharecast - 16 hours ago
Lloyds Banking Group has resumed payment of its dividend after six years with a small payment of 0.75p as its balance sheet grew more solid, though full year profits fell short of market forecasts.
- London pre-open: Markets subdued ahead of data, German vote on Greece Sharecast - 16 hours ago
UK stocks were expected to open more or less flat on Friday after markets eked out another record close the previous session.
- Rio Tinto streamlines group structure to cut costs, splits up energy division Sharecast - 17 hours ago
Diversified mining group Rio Tinto has announced plans to streamline its product groups and corporate functions, dividing up its energy division as it looks to cut costs and simplify its structure.
- Canaccord upgrades Rightmove after resilience to OnTheMarket launch Sharecast - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 00:25 GMT
Canaccord Genuity has upgraded its rating on real estate portal Rightmove from 'hold' to 'buy' after a better-than-expected set of annual results on Friday.
- London midday: FTSE flat on mixed earnings as Germany approves Greek extension Sharecast - Fri, Feb 27, 2015 00:12 GMT
UK stocks touched a new intraday record on Friday before slipping into the red, as investors treaded carefully on another busy day for corporate earnings and economic data.
- Thursday tips round-up: TSB, Aldermore, Henderson Group Sharecast - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 21:30 GMT
Sometimes, having too much money is a bad thing - particularly if you are bank. That is the case at TSB, it has far more capital and a higher cost base than it needs. This shows up in its loan-to-deposit ...
- Conservatives dramatically miss net migration targets Sharecast - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 18:41 GMT
Net migration to the UK has risen to 298,000, according to the final set of pre-election figures.
- Friday preview: Lloyds hopes to recommence dividend as it reports full-year results Sharecast - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 17:43 GMT
Lloyds Banking Group is expected on Friday to announce its first dividend payment since its near-collapse in 2008 in its full-year results statement.
- London close: FTSE edges higher to new record close Sharecast - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 17:36 GMT
London's FTSE 100 managed to inch higher to a new record high on Thursday as improving economic data across Europe and positive developments in Ukraine boosted markets after a slow start.
- First Derivatives acquires Prelytix for £13m Sharecast - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 17:17 GMT
Software group First Derivatives has completed the acquisition of US-based data analysts Prelytix for £13m.
- Reach4entertainment in bank talks after warning on 2015 results Sharecast - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 17:16 GMT
Theatrical and film marketing group Reach4entertainment (r4e) has warned that it has begun discussions with its bank and warned that results in 2015 will be lower than in 2014.
- IBM warns of FX hit to earnings but pledges to pump $40bn into business Sharecast - Thu, Feb 26, 2015 17:12 GMT
US tech giant International Business Machines Corp, widely known as IBM, warned that the strength of the US dollar will reduce the company's revenue growth in the first quarter of 2015 by more than it ...