UK markets open in 20 minutes
  • NIKKEI 225

    28,242.21
    -276.97 (-0.97%)
     
  • HANG SENG

    28,827.11
    +253.25 (+0.89%)
     
  • CRUDE OIL

    52.19
    -0.17 (-0.32%)
     
  • GOLD FUTURES

    1,834.90
    +5.00 (+0.27%)
     
  • DOW

    30,814.26
    -177.24 (-0.57%)
     
  • BTC-GBP

    26,706.56
    +376.85 (+1.43%)
     
  • CMC Crypto 200

    702.59
    -32.55 (-4.43%)
     
  • ^IXIC

    12,998.50
    -114.10 (-0.87%)
     
  • ^FTAS

    3,803.75
    -35.67 (-0.93%)
     

Ron Perlman still wants to make 'Hellboy 3'

Gregory Wakeman
·Contributor
·2-min read
Ron Perlman in Hellboy 2 (Credit: Universal Pictures)
Ron Perlman in Hellboy 2. (Universal Pictures)

Ron Perlman has opened up about being replaced in last year’s ill-fated Hellboy reboot, insisting he’d still love to return as the title character.

The actor only had good words to say about David Harbour, who took on the role, telling Comic Book that “he’s a really good guy and he’s really good actor” and that, when it came to the film, he “was hoping for the best for him”.

Read More: Hellboy's Ron Perlman says the reboot is 'none of his business'

Unfortunately, that didn’t happen as Neil Marshall’s take on Hellboy was roundly panned by critics, while audiences stayed away too; it grossed a worldwide total of £40 million ($55 million) from a budget of £37 million ($50 million).

Watch: Ron Perlman challenges Ted Cruz to $50,000 wrestling match for Black Lives Matter

The same couldn’t be said of Perlman’s incarnation of Hellboy, as his two films with writer and director Guillermo Del Toro were met with superb reviews, returned more money, and became cult classics.

The adulation for Perlman’s work as Hellboy means that there’s still an awful lot of movie fans who want to see his return as the character – and that includes Perlman.

“I did make it clear that if there was a chance to finish the trilogy with Guillermo, as we had done the first two films and in the image of what he had in mind in terms of closing all of the circles, that is something that I would, to this day, consider doing,” the actor said.

LOS ANGELES, CA - JULY 09:  Director Guillermo del Toro (L) and actor Ron Perlman pose at the after party for the premiere of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures' "Pacific Rim" at Hollywood and Highland on July 9, 2013 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
Director Guillermo del Toro (left) and Ron Perlman pose at Pacific Rim's premiere after party, Los Angeles, California, 9 July, 2013. (Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

Read More: Hellboy star Ron Perlman turned down cameo appearance in reboot

There’s still an outside chance that it could happen. Especially as, since Hellboy II: The Golden Army hit cinemas in 2008, Del Toro won an Academy Award for 2017’s The Shape Of Water.

The fact that Perlman is now 70 could be a sticking point.

Watch: Hellboy, Harry Potter actors share their favourite moments of the last 20 years