UK Markets close in 7 hrs 36 mins

Sir Sean Connery's widow reveals actor had dementia: 'He was a model of a man'

Erin Donnelly
·2-min read
Micheline Roquebrune (pictured with her husband Sean Connery in 2006 at his AFI Life Achievement Award tribute) says the Scottish actor had dementia. (Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images for AFI)
Micheline Roquebrune (pictured with her husband Sean Connery in 2006 at his AFI Life Achievement Award tribute) says the Scottish actor had dementia. (Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images for AFI)

As tributes to Sean Connery continue to pour in following news of his death at age 90 on 31 October, his widow, Micheline Roquebrune, has revealed that the Scottish star suffered from dementia in his final years.

Roquebrune, who married the James Bond actor in 1975, told the Mail on Sunday that the condition, which impairs cognitive functioning, had taken “its toll” on Connery.

“It was no life for him,” she shared. “He was not able to express himself latterly.

“At least he died in his sleep and it was just so peaceful. I was with him all the time and he just slipped away. It was what he wanted.

Read more: Sir Michael Caine remembers ‘great star, wonderful friend’ Sir Sean Connery

“He had dementia and it took its toll on him. He got his final wish to slip away without any fuss.”

Sir Sean Connery and wife Lady Micheline arrive at the 7th Annual "Dressed To Kilt" charity fashion show to kick off Tartan Week on Monday, March 30, 2009 in New York. (AP Photo/Evan Agostini)
Sir Sean Connery and wife Lady Micheline arrive at the 7th Annual "Dressed To Kilt" charity fashion show to kick off Tartan Week on Monday, March 30, 2009 in New York. (AP Photo/Evan Agostini)

Roquebrune, 91, also shared an intimate photo of her and Connery celebrating their 45th wedding anniversary in May at their home in the Bahamas, where the Oscar winner died.

“He was gorgeous and we had a wonderful life together,” she said of the marriage, which was Connery’s second, following his split from the late Australian actress Diane Cilento.

“He was a model of a man,” she added. “It is going to be very hard without him, I know that. But it could not last for ever and he went peacefully.”

British actor Sean Connery  and his wife, Micheline, are shown in front of the Monte Carlo casino in Monaco, in the South of France, April 27, 1977.  (AP Photo/Rene Maestri)
British actor Sean Connery and his wife, Micheline, are shown in front of the Monte Carlo casino in Monaco, in the South of France, April 27, 1977. (AP Photo/Rene Maestri)

Roquebrune’s comments come after Connery’s son from his marriage to Cilento, actor Jason Connery, told the BBC that his father had been “unwell.”

Read more: Sir Sean Connery hailed as ‘true great of cinema’ following death aged 90

"We are all working at understanding this huge event as it only happened so recently, even though my dad has been unwell for some time,” the younger Connery shared upon news of his father’s death in his sleep while at home in Nassau.

"A sad day for all who knew and loved my dad and a sad loss for all people around the world who enjoyed the wonderful gift he had as an actor."