- Shares in BHP Billiton fall as investment banks question progressive dividend Telegraph - 4 hours ago
Market Report: Mining stocks rose, with the exception of BHP Billiton, as copper prices bounced back from mult-year lows.
- Brazil mining giant rejects UN anger over 'toxic' flood AFP - 5 hours ago
- Arsenic and mercury found in river days after Brazil dam burst Reuters - UK Focus - 6 hours ago
Illegal levels of arsenic and mercury polluted the Rio Doce river in the days after a dam burst at an iron ore mine in early November in Brazil's worst-ever environmental disaster, according to tests by a state water agency. The Institute for Water Management in Minas Gerais (IGAM), found arsenic levels more than ten times …
- London close: Stocks boosted by commodities on Thanksgiving Sharecast - 6 hours ago
(ShareCast News) - The FTSE ended higher on Thursday, supported by a rally in mining stocks as commodity prices improved.
- Europe close: Stocks advance amid lack of data Sharecast - 6 hours ago
(ShareCast News) - European equities advanced on Thursday, with autos and basic resources lending support to a fairly quiet session as US markets were closed.
- Miners help FTSE to edge higher, BHP slips Reuters - UK Focus - 6 hours ago
Britain's top share index gained ground on Thursday, with a rally in basic resources stocks on the back of stronger metals prices supporting the broader market. The UK mining index rose 1.4 percent, the ...
- EU mergers and takeovers (Nov 26) Reuters - UK Focus - 6 hours ago
The following are mergers under review by the European Commission and a brief guide to the EU merger process: APPROVALS AND WITHDRAWALS None NEW LISTINGS None EXTENSIONS AND OTHER CHANGES -- U.S. office ...
- FTSE 250 movers: Ophir takeover reports continue to drive market Sharecast - 6 hours ago
(ShareCast News) - The FTSE 250 continued on track to finish the week on a high, as the market was up 73.65 points (0.43%) to 17,184.96 by mid-afternoon Thursday.
- Should Income Investors Buy Severn Trent Plc, Anglo Pacific Group plc Or WH Smith Plc? Fool.co.uk - 7 hours ago
Are dividends safe at Severn Trent Plc (LON:SVT), Anglo Pacific Group plc (LON:APF) and WH Smith Plc (LON:SMWH)?
- FTSE 100 movers: Miners rally but BHP Billiton bucks the trend on UN claims Sharecast - 7 hours ago
(ShareCast News) - London's FTSE 100 index was up 0.7% to 6,379.38 at 1507 GMT, with miners providing much of the support as markets were fairly calm with the US closed for the Thanksgiving holiday.
- European shares rise on ECB stimulus hopes; Infineon shines Reuters - UK Focus - 10 hours ago
European shares rose on Thursday, helped by growing expectations of aggressive European Central Bank action next week. A solid quarterly report from chipmaker Infineon and a rebound in metal prices also ...
- Zambia's Lungu says won't take over struggling mines Reuters - UK Focus - 10 hours ago
Zambia does not plan to take over mines that have shed jobs after a sharp fall in global copper prices, President Edgar Lungu said on Thursday, backtracking from a warning earlier this month that the state would take over such mines. Lungu said the economy would grow at a slower pace than previously estimated due to the …
- Are Rio Tinto plc & BHP Billiton plc Value Plays Or Value Traps? Fool.co.uk - 11 hours ago
It might be wise to avoid Rio Tinto plc (LON: RIO) and BHP Billiton plc (LON: BLT) after recent declines.
- Coal Of Africa agrees Universal takeover terms Sharecast - 12 hours ago
(ShareCast News) - Coal of Africa Limited (COAL) has agreed terms for a recommended cash and shares offer of Universal Coal, which will value the Australian-listed target at AUD 126.4m (£60.5m).
- SocGen upgrades DMGT as it highlights less cope for anymore bad news Sharecast - 13 hours ago
(ShareCast News) - Societe Generale upgraded Daily Mail & General Trust to 'hold' from 'sell' following the company's results on Wednesday, saying there is significantly less scope for bad news from here....
- BUZZ-DMGT: bounces off lows after SocGen upgrade Reuters - UK Focus - 13 hours ago
** DMGT rises 3.8 pct off a 2.5 yr low hit on Wednesday after SocGen upgrades to "hold" from "sell" ** Says significantly less scope for more bad news following disappointing FY15 results ...
- Vedanta's Zambia unit to mothball copper mine as demand wanes Reuters - UK Focus - 13 hours ago
Benchmark copper on the London Metal Exchange hit $4,443.50 a tonne this week, its lowest level in more than six years, and the outlook for prices remained poor given weakening Chinese demand for resources. "KCM has been reviewing its operations and Nchanga underground mine was highlighted as a loss making asset which, …
- Zambia's Konkola puts Nchanga mine under care and maintenance Reuters - UK Focus - 13 hours ago
Zambia's Konkola Copper Mines , owned by Vedanta Resources, said on Thursday it was placing its Nchanga underground mine under managed care and maintenance from Nov. 27 as it was making losses. KCM said ...
- BHP Billiton shares hit as it rejects UN claim Brazil dam spill was toxic Telegraph - 13 hours ago
Miner under pressure over accident on November 5 at an iron ore mine run by its joint venture Samarco
- Europe open: Stocks edge higher in quiet trade as basic resources advance Sharecast - 13 hours ago
(ShareCast News) - European stocks edged higher at the start of what is likely to be a fairly quiet day's trade, with Wall Street closed for the Thanksgiving holiday, as basic resources lent support.
- London open: Mining stocks lead FTSE higher amid lack of data Sharecast - 14 hours ago
(ShareCast News) - London stocks opened on the front foot on Thursday, led by mining stocks, amid no notable economic data releases as traders in the US took a break for Thanksgiving.
- Broker tips: Aldermore, Aviva, DMGT Sharecast - 22 hours ago
(ShareCast News) - Deutsche Bank downgraded Aldermore Group to 'hold' from 'buy' and cut the price target to 267p from 330p pointing to another headwind for the buy-to-let market following Wednesday's ...
- Mud from Brazil dam burst is toxic, UN says Reuters - UK Focus - 23 hours ago
Mud from a dam that burst at an iron ore mine in Brazil earlier this month, killing 12 people and polluting an important river, is toxic, the United Nations' human rights agency said on Wednesday. The statement contradicts claims by Samarco, the mine operator at the site of the rupture, that the water and mineral waste …
- Europe midday: Stocks push higher in quiet trade as autos race ahead Sharecast - 23 hours ago
(ShareCast News) - European stocks rose, with autos and basic resources lending support on what is likely to remain a fairly quiet session as US markets will be closed for the Thanksgiving holiday.
- London midday: Metals prices lift stocks as Thanksgiving holiday thins volumes Sharecast - 23 hours ago
(ShareCast News) - Mining companies gave the UK equity market a boost on Thursday as metal prices increased.
- Rio Tinto set to approve $1 bln bauxite expansion-media Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Nov 25, 2015 20:36 GMT
Rio Tinto (LSE: RIO.L - news) is poised to approve its long-stalled $1 billion South of Embley bauxite expansion project as early as this week, the Australian Financial Review said on Thursday. Rio Tinto is expected to announce as early as this week that it will pursue the project, according to the report. South of Embley …
- Anglo American retreats after call to slash dividend Telegraph - Wed, Nov 25, 2015 19:50 GMT
Shares in Anglo American plunge by more than 8pc after HSBC downgrades the miner's rating from "hold" to "reduce".
- EU mergers and takeovers (Nov 25) Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Nov 25, 2015 19:14 GMT
The following are mergers under review by the European Commission and a brief guide to the EU merger process: APPROVALS AND WITHDRAWALS -- French investment company Ardian France to acquire food ingredient ...
- UK scraps 1 bln stg carbon capture technology scheme Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Nov 25, 2015 18:04 GMT
Britain has scrapped plans to spend up to 1 billion pounds ($1.5 billion) to help commercialise the technology for capturing carbon dioxide emissions from power plants and storing them underground, the government said on Wednesday, putting two major projects at risk of being cancelled. The announcement comes just days …
- London close: FTSE boosted by housebuilding stocks after Autumn Statement Sharecast - Wed, Nov 25, 2015 17:03 GMT
(ShareCast News) - The FTSE 100 rose on Wednesday with housebuilding stocks leading the way after Chancellor George Osborne announced measures to support the sector in his joint Spending Review and Autumn ...
- Rough diamond prices need to fall - Rapaport Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Nov 25, 2015 16:45 GMT
Rough diamond prices need to decrease by up to 50 percent to boost profitability in the trade of the stones, Martin Rapaport, whose Rapaport Group is the primary source of diamond price information, said. Manufacturers who cut and polish diamonds have in recent years found themselves caught between giant mining companies …
- UK housebuilders end below highs on stamp duty plan, FTSE gains Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Nov 25, 2015 16:43 GMT
British housebuilders surrendered part of their hefty gains on Wednesday after British finance minister George Osborne announced plans to raise property tax for those who buy a house in order to rent it ...
- Thursday preview: Thanksgiving means quiet day for traders Sharecast - Wed, Nov 25, 2015 16:01 GMT
(ShareCast News) - Thanksgiving in the US will mean a quiet day of trading on Thursday, with little in the way of economic data and a few company earnings releases.
- FTSE 100 movers: Housebuilders rally on spending review; Anglo slumps on downgrade Sharecast - Wed, Nov 25, 2015 15:58 GMT
(ShareCast News) - London's FTSE 100 was up 1% to 6,340.12, with housebuilders leading the charge as investors cheered Chancellor George Osborne's new plans for the sector.
- UK housebuilders trim gains on stamp duty plan, FTSE up Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Nov 25, 2015 14:29 GMT
UK housebuilders surrendered part of their hefty gains in afternoon trade on Wednesday after British finance minister George Osborne announced plans to raise property tax for those who buy a house in order ...