- Platinum producers to take wage offer direct to striking miners Reuters - UK Focus - 9 minutes ago
Major platinum producers in South Africa said on Thursday they would take their latest wage offer directly to employees, after they failed to reach a deal to end a 13-week strike with union leaders. " ...
- U.S. data, Ukraine crisis keep up pressure on South Africa's rand Reuters - UK Focus - 17 minutes ago
South Africa's rand weakened against the dollar on Thursday after U.S. data boosted the growth outlook of the world's largest economy, setting the rand up for a fourth straight session of daily losses. The rand was also depressed by global aversion to risky assets as Russia/Ukraine tensions escalated, while domestically …
- FTSE 250 movers: Centamin rises on law change hopes Sharecast - 56 minutes ago
Centamin rose strongly on the back of hopes a change in the law could resolve the Egyptian mining row.
- FTSE 100 movers: AstraZeneca leads after revenue beats expectations Sharecast - 1 hour 1 minute ago
AstraZeneca rose on the back of better-than-expected revenue growth of three per cent in the first quarter, driven by the pharmaceutical company's diabetes franchise. Shares were up despite earnings falling ...
- Elementis to deliver in-line results despite effects of bad weather Sharecast - 2 hours 56 minutes ago
FTSE 250-listed Elementis on Thursday confirmed that its full-year results would be in line with expectations, despite the impact of bad weather experienced in the first few months of 2014.
- Market overview: Standard Life to vote against Barclays remuneration report Sharecast - 3 hours ago
1342: At this morning's heated AGM in London Barclays investor Standard Life Investments said it will vote against the 2013 remuneration report.
- Markets today: 5 things you may have missed Telegraph - 3 hours ago
Demand for shares in drugmakers AstraZeneca and Shire pull FTSE 100 higher
- Centamin likely to benefit from new Egyptian contract law - UPDATE Sharecast - 3 hours ago
Thanks to a new investment law brought in by the Egyptian government, gold miner Centamin will try and dismiss an ongoing court case over rights to its Sukari mine in the country.
- Anglo American posts strong first quarter despite fall in platinum production Telegraph - 4 hours ago
Mining giant lost 185,000 ounces of platinum to strikes but raised output of cooper and iron ore
- Wage talks resume as S.Africa platinum strike marks 13th week Reuters - UK Focus - 5 hours ago
* AMCU has cast talks in class-war terms * Amplats reduces production guidance for 2014 * Painful restructuring seen after strike ends (Adds comment from AMCU, Lonmin (LSE: LMI.L - news) ) JOHANNESBURG, April 24 (Reuters) - Marathon talks aimed at ending a crippling three-month strike in South Africa's platinum sector resumed …
- S.Africa's AMCU says wage offer may not be ready for vote Reuters - UK Focus - 6 hours ago
The Association of Mineworkers of South Africa President Joseph Mathunjwa told Reuters on Thursday he was not sure if the revised wage offer from the world's top platinum companies was ready to take to ...
- Anglo American rises on first quarter production beat Sharecast - 6 hours ago
Kumba iron ore production up 10 per cent; Metallurgical coal up 31 per cent; Nickel up 48 per cent; Platinum down 39 per cent after miner strikes; Copper up 18 per cent; Diamonds up 18 per cent
- What Dividend Hunters Need To Know About BHP Billiton plc Fool.co.uk - 6 hours ago
Royston Wild looks at whether BHP Billiton plc (LON: BLT) is an attractive income stock.
- STOCKS NEWS EUROPE-Heineken retreats from six-month high Reuters - UK Focus - 6 hours ago
Shares in Heineken, the world's third largest brewer, dip in mid-session trading after an initial gain, with some negatives to be drawn from its first-quarter trading update. The shares are down 1.4 percent ...
- M&A, upbeat results help European stocks resume rally Reuters - UK Focus - 6 hours ago
European shares resumed their rise on Thursday, boosted by mergers and acquisitions activity and upbeat updates from electrical gear maker Schneider Electric and oil services group Technip among others. ...
- Thursday broker round-up Sharecast - 6 hours ago
AMEC: UBS ups target price from 1145p to 1200p maintaining a neutral rating.
- London open: FTSE 100 rises after results from Apple, Facebook Sharecast - 7 hours ago
Apple, Facebook lift sentiment after results; FTSE 100 at highest since March 7th; Miners Anglo, ABG and Centamin rise.
- Centamin rises on hopes new Egypt law could dismiss legal case Reuters - UK Focus - 7 hours ago
Egypt-focused gold miner Centamin (Toronto: CEE.TO - news) said a new law could result in the dismissal of a legal case which has put the licence of its only operating mine in jeopardy, boosting its shares by as much as 15 percent on Thursday. In 2012, an Egyptian court ruled that Centamin's right to operate its Sukari …
- Britain's FTSE hits six-week high, miners lead Reuters - UK Focus - 8 hours ago
Britain's top share index hit a six-week high on Thursday, with miners leading the market higher tracking firmer metals prices, while Anglo American also reported strong output numbers. The UK mining index, ...
- Business news and markets: as it happened April 24, 2014 Telegraph - 9 hours ago
Barclays faced anger over pay and performance at its annual meeting while the euro dip as Draghi aired possibility of QE in latest speech
- London pre-open: Stocks to open higher, lifted by US tech earnings Sharecast - 9 hours ago
The FTSE 100 is set for a decent start to today's session, boosted by positive after- hours trading in the US last night, driven by strong results from technology giants Facebook and Apple.
- Anglo copper, iron output rise, while strike hits platinum Reuters - UK Focus - 9 hours ago
* Talks to end mining strike in South Africa continue LONDON, April 24 (Reuters) - Miner Anglo American posted an increase in its copper and iron ore production in the first quarter of 2014, broadly in line with analysts' forecasts, but its platinum output slumped, hit by a strike at its South African operations. Output …
- Centamin says new Egypt law could see claim against it dismissed Reuters - UK Focus - 10 hours ago
Egypt-focused gold miner Centamin (Toronto: CEE.TO - news) said a new law which came into effect in the country on Wednesday could result in a legal case against it being dismissed. Noting the new law in Egypt in a statement on Thursday, the company said: "Centamin continues to discuss with its advisers the process by …
- Australia shares edge up to near 6-year high ahead of Anzac Day Reuters - UK Focus - 15 hours ago
Australian shares inched higher on Thursday to a near six-year high, underpinned by the resources sector, though gains were capped as many investors kept to the sidelines ahead of a holiday on Friday and ...
- U.S. SEC wins asset freeze vs ex-Santander exec in insider case Reuters - UK Focus - 21 hours ago
NEW YORK (Frankfurt: HX6.F - news) , April 23 (Reuters) - The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Wednesday won an asset freeze against a former Banco Santander SA executive it accused of insider trading ahead of a proposed 2010 takeover of Potash Corp of Saskatchewan Inc. The $3.84 million freeze against Cedric …
- FOREX -Dollar down on weak U.S. markets, Aussie sinks after low inflation Reuters - UK Focus - 21 hours ago
* Limited reaction to China HSBC flash manufacturing PMI (Updates with late New York (Frankfurt: HX6.F - news) prices) NEW YORK, April 23 (Reuters) - The U.S. dollar weakened against the euro and yen on Wednesday, undermined by a decline in U.S. equity prices and Treasury yields and finding little support from a slower-than-expected …
- London close: FTSE ends slightly lower ahead of US earnings Sharecast - 21 hours ago
FTSE closes down 7.02 points at 6,674.74; Focus turns to Apple and Facebook earnings; UK public sector net borrowing falls
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Global stock rally stumbles on data, results; dollar slips Reuters - UK Focus - 21 hours ago
The dollar fell and global equity markets edged lower on Wednesday in response to disappointing U.S. housing data and weak corporate earnings that reversed market momentum after five days of gains in a ...
- Thursday preview: Investors waiting on AstraZeneca and Barclays Sharecast - 22 hours ago
Thursday will be another big day in capital markets in London. In particular, traders will be braced for the latest first quarter earnings figures out from drugs giant AstraZeneca.
- Questor share tip: Profits soar at Petra Diamonds Telegraph - 22 hours ago
The precious gem miner is increasing production as diamond prices increase, sending profits higher, says Questor
- MARKET PULSE-Hugoton, Zhone, Unisys, Sodastream, Boeing, Delta Reuters - UK Focus - 22 hours ago
U.S. stocks declined on Wednesday after a six-session winning streak as gains in Boeing and Gilead were offset by slides in AT&T and the wider biotech sector. The Dow Jones industrial average fell 25.43 ...
- South Africa platinum strike talks to continue Thursday Reuters - UK Focus - 22 hours ago
* Platinum price remains depressed despite strike * Miners get ready for mass meeting - AMCU official (Updates with end of talks) JOHANNESBURG, April 23 (Reuters) - Marathon talks aimed at ending a crippling three-month strike in South Africa's platinum sector will resume on Thursday after the world's top producers and …
- Novartis-GSK asset swap offers template for pharma and beyond Reuters - UK Focus - 23 hours ago
* Asset swaps avoid merger pitfalls LONDON, April 23 (Reuters) - The loud welcome given by investors to this week's deal for Novartis (Xetra: NOT.DE - news) and GlaxoSmithKline (Other OTC: GLAXF - news) to trade more than $20 billion of assets could trigger more pacts in the pharmaceuticals sector and beyond. Such swapping …
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Share rally peters out on data, results, dollar slips Reuters - UK Focus - 23 hours ago
The dollar fell and global equity markets edged lower on Wednesday in response to disappointing U.S. housing data and weak corporate earnings that reversed market momentum after five days of gains. In ...
- Weaker FTSE 100 gets support from ABF and AstraZeneca Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 23, 2014 17:27 BST
U.S. expansion plans for Associated British Foods and expectations of consolidation in the drugs sector kept Britain's top share index near a two-week high on Wednesday. Clothing and food conglomerate ...