- Produce Investments chairman buys shares showing confidence Sharecast - 15 hours ago
The chairman of Produce Investments bought some new shares showing confidence in the group after disappointing first half of the year.
- Week ahead: Non-farm payrolls and UK retail results to steal the show Sharecast - 16 hours ago
Next week is set to be a busy one for financial markets in London with investors having to digest a flurry of global economic data and corporate results from a number of prominent UK retailers.
- FOREX-Dollar bounces back on 2015 rate hike bets; Yellen to speak later Reuters - UK Focus - 21 hours ago
The dollar rose across the board on Friday, extending a rebound begun the previous day after Federal Reserve officials signalled they were still on track to raise interest rates this year. At separate events on Thursday, two senior Fed policymakers said a move away from ultra-loose monetary policy might be needed in light …
- 5 Super Mid-Caps For Your ISA: Tullow Oil plc, Petrofac Limited, Redrow plc, Ted Baker plc And Galliford Try plc Fool.co.uk - Thu, Mar 26, 2015 15:49 GMT
These 5 mid-caps are set to deliver stellar returns: Tullow Oil plc (LON: TLW), Petrofac Limited (LON: PFC), Redrow plc (LON: RDW), Ted Baker plc (LON: TED) and Galliford Try plc (LON: GFRD)
- Results Round-up Sharecast - Thu, Mar 26, 2015 15:37 GMT
Scisys, the computer software and services company, said it improved profits during 2014 but revenues were lower than expected due to a strong sterling and concerns around public funding.
- Henry Boot full-year profits boosted by improved UK economy Sharecast - Thu, Mar 26, 2015 14:38 GMT
Land development and construction group Henry Boot said that all its businesses performed well in 2014 thanks to an improvement in the UK economy.
- EU signals further divergence from global banking rules Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, Mar 26, 2015 12:23 GMT
The European Union will continue to diverge from global banking regulations where necessary to avoid overburdening smaller lenders, the bloc's financial services chief said on Thursday. European commissioner Jonathan Hill, in the job since November, said he would extend his predecessor's policy of tailoring global banking …
- UK gilt yields touch lowest level in 7 weeks Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 25, 2015 17:25 GMT
Ten-year British government bond yields touched their lowest level in seven weeks on Wednesday, pulled down by an unusually low outlook for British inflation and weaker-than-expected U.S. economic data. ...
- Thursday preview: UK retail sales data, Easyjet reports trading statement Sharecast - Wed, Mar 25, 2015 16:02 GMT
UK retail sales figures on Thursday will be closely watched for signs of how much consumer spending is contributing towards economic growth.
- Should We Buy Beaten-Down Balfour Beatty plc Or High-Flying Whitbread plc? Fool.co.uk - Wed, Mar 25, 2015 11:39 GMT
Which is the better investment: Balfour Beatty plc (LON:BBY) or Whitbread plc (LON:WTB)?
- BUZZ-Balfour Beatty: reverses after numbers to its best day since November Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 25, 2015 10:14 GMT
** Balfour Beatty catches some traders by surprise, rising 6.2 pct after results despite reporting a full-year loss ** Called down 3 pct in pre-market by two brokers, citing earnings miss and divi cut ...
- Balfour Beatty scraps dividend after full-year loss Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 25, 2015 09:37 GMT
British infrastructure group Balfour Beatty scrapped its dividend after suffering a loss of 59 million pounds ($87.6 million) in 2014 and said it faced major challenges from domestic construction contracts. The company planned to work through the "severe legacy" of troubled building projects over the next two years, newly …
- Sterling falls against euro on inflation, political uncertainty Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 25, 2015 09:26 GMT
Sterling remained under pressure against the euro on Wednesday, staying at a one-month low in early trade after data on Tuesday showed British inflation dropped to zero last month, its lowest since records began. Analysts said the number might further push out expectations of when interest rates would rise from their record …
- Balfour beatty shares open 2.2 percent lower after company suspends dividend, posts loss in full year results Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 25, 2015 08:02 GMT
Balfour beatty shares open 2.2 percent lower after company suspends dividend, posts loss in full year results
- Balfour Beatty suspends dividend, posts loss of 59 mln stg Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 25, 2015 07:24 GMT
British infrastructure group Balfour Beatty reported a total loss of 59 million pounds in 2014 and said it had suspended its dividend as a result of ongoing challenges in its UK construction contracts. ...
- FOREX-Euro gains against dollar on robust PMI surveys Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, Mar 24, 2015 11:38 GMT
A softer number, as was registered earlier on Tuesday in Britain, could boost expectations that the Federal Reserve will be in no hurry to raise interest rates. San Francisco Fed chief John Williams weighed in on the debate over the dollar's gains, saying the U.S. economy could handle a stronger currency and pointing to …
- FOREX-PMI surveys add to euro recovery Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, Mar 24, 2015 09:08 GMT
San Francisco Fed chief John Williams was the latest to weigh in on the debate over the dollar's gains, saying the U.S. economy could handle a stronger currency and pointing to the chance of an interest rate rise in June. It last traded at $0.7876, down just 0.1 percent on the day.
- US IG CLOSE-High-grade market prints US$13.5bn, led by banks Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Mar 23, 2015 21:08 GMT
By Mike Gambale NEW YORK, March 23 - Below is a recap of primary issuance activity in the US high-grade market on Monday: Number of deals priced: 8 Total issuance volume: US$13.5bn Average new issue concession: ...
- Sterling down against euro on dovish BoE, political uncertainty Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Mar 23, 2015 16:50 GMT
Sterling fell to a three-week low against the euro on Monday, weighed down by doubts over whether British interest rates will rise any time soon and worries over the outcome of a national election in early May. Bank of England Chief Economist Andy Haldane said last week the bank should be ready to cut interest rates further …
- US-IG-OPEN-Yankees jump in after lackluster week Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Mar 23, 2015 12:25 GMT
By John Balassi NEW YORK, March 23 - Three Yankee deals are already out this morning in the high-grade market, a welcome sign of life after one of the slowest non-holiday weeks of the year. But Greece ...
- Sterling falls on interest rate, election uncertainty Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Mar 23, 2015 10:11 GMT
Sterling fell against the dollar and euro on Monday, as doubts over when UK interest rates will begin to rise and uncertainty over the outcome of a national election due in early May weighed on the currency. Bank of England Chief Economist Andy Haldane said last week the bank should be ready to cut interest rates further …
- Week ahead in business and economics: March 23 to March 27 Telegraph - Sun, Mar 22, 2015 19:57 GMT
Bellway is the first housebuilder to update the market since the Budget while Aviva and Friends Life seek final approval for their merger
- Stemcor sells stockholding unit as talks to sell core continue Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 14:04 GMT
UK-based Stemcor has sold its steel stockholding business for an undisclosed amount to MBM Group Services Limited as talks to sell its core steel trading operations continue. The private firm, founded ...
- Goldman, UBS join ex-"fixing" banks for new LBMA gold price Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 13:32 GMT
The new London Bullion Market Association (LBMA) Gold Price went live for the first time on Friday, with Goldman Sachs (NYSE: GS-PB - news) and UBS (NYSEArca: FBGX - news) joining the four members of the now defunct gold "fix" in setting its electronic replacement. Goldman and UBS joined Barclays (LSE: BARC.L - news) …
- Goldman Sachs, UBS named as participants in new LBMA gold price-ICE Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Mar 20, 2015 09:55 GMT
Goldman Sachs and UBS will join the four existing members of the gold "fix", which ended on Thursday, in setting the new London Bullion Market Association Gold Price benchmark, Intercontinental ...
- New era of gold benchmarking to start with six pioneers Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, Mar 19, 2015 15:28 GMT
Six institutions will start setting gold prices electronically on Friday, as Intercontinental Exchange (NYSE: ICE - news) completes a sweeping change to London's bullion benchmarks and dispenses with the century-old gold "fix". The first fix that took place, on Sept. 12 that year, set the price of gold at 4 pounds, 18 …
- New era of gold benchmarking to start with handful of pioneers Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, Mar 19, 2015 00:01 GMT
A handful of banks will start setting gold prices electronically on Friday, sources with direct knowledge of the matter said, as Intercontinental Exchange completes a sweeping change to London's bullion benchmarks and dispenses with the century-old gold "fix". ICE Benchmark Administration (IBA), a subsidiary of ICE , was …
- Markets on edge for Fed plans on rate hike AFP - Wed, Mar 18, 2015 18:02 GMT
- Thursday preview: Next unveils full-year results Sharecast - Wed, Mar 18, 2015 16:46 GMT
Fashion retailer Next reports its full-year results on Thursday with analysts expecting an increase in earnings, supported by online sales.
- TREASURIES-Yields fall at long end, rise on bills before Fed statement Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 18, 2015 15:09 GMT
U.S. medium- and long-dated Treasury yields hit multi-week lows on Wednesday as investors expected the Federal Reserve could note the lack of inflationary pressures in its upcoming policy statement. The expectation of higher interest rates before long boosted yields on ultra-short Treasury bills as traders anticipate that …
- Ten-year gilt yields fall to 5-week low before UK Budget Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 18, 2015 11:42 GMT
Yields on 10-year British government bonds fell to their lowest in more than a month on Wednesday after the release of weak wage growth data and ahead of finance minister George Osborne's final pre-election ...
- Sterling hits 5-year low vs dollar as investors push back rate hike bets Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 18, 2015 10:37 GMT
Sterling hit a five-year low against the dollar on Wednesday after weaker-than-expected UK wage numbers and cautious Bank of England minutes drove investors to push back expectations of when interest rates will rise. The Bank of England is keeping a close eye on wages as it considers when to start raising interest rates …
- Zara-owner Inditex to trim investment after strong sales Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 18, 2015 10:30 GMT
Spanish group Inditex (Berlin: IXD1.BE - news) , owner of the Zara fashion chain, expects to trim investment in 2015 after a recovery in its biggest European markets alongside a store and online expansion boosted profit by five percent. The world's biggest fashion retailer, based just outside La Coruna at Spain's northwestern …
- London pre-open: Subdued start expected as UK Budget and Fed meeting loom Sharecast - Wed, Mar 18, 2015 07:54 GMT
UK stock markets are set for a quiet start on Wednesday morning as investors await two key risk events - the UK Budget statement and the Federal Reserve's latest policy decision.
- Galliford Try wins place on £3.9bn public sector framework Sharecast - Wed, Mar 18, 2015 07:28 GMT
Galliford Try has won a place as one of several companies on a £3.9bn public sector framework contract for the south of England.