- Why bad driving will be eliminated by 2020 and car insurance costs will plummet Telegraph - 22 hours ago
Driverless cars could dominate British roads in just five years. If there are no accidents, will we even need car insurance?
- London close: Stocks hit two-week high as blue chips rise Sharecast - Fri, May 22, 2015 18:16 BST
UK stocks reached a two-week high on Friday on the back of decent performances from heavyweights Vodafone and HSBC, along with gains in defensive categories such as pharmaceuticals.
- AXA axes 500 mln euros of coal investments Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, May 22, 2015 16:43 BST
French insurer AXA (Paris: FR0000120628 - news) said on Friday it was cutting its exposure to the coal industry, pulling out of investments worth 500 million euros ($552.7 million). Europe's No. 2 insurer joins a growing list of financial companies that have decided to spurn the coal industry over environmental concerns. …
- Three strikes and you're not out: put those Brexit nerves on hold Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, May 22, 2015 16:05 BST
Stock, currency and bond markets have generally ridden calmly through both a Scottish independence vote that almost broke up the United Kingdom last September and an election that threatened months of horse trading and no clear government. Neither risk materialised and the bounce in the pound after Prime Minister David …
- Banks being probed over automated forex deals, report says Sharecast - Fri, May 22, 2015 14:45 BST
Wall Street banks may face further damaging allegations about their rigging of foreign exchange markets, as New York's banking regulator intensifies a probe into electronic trading, according to the Financial ...
- British-based banks planning for EU "no" stymied by lack of European office space Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, May 22, 2015 13:53 BST
A shortage of prime office space in rival European financial centres may torpedo plans by some of London's banks to quit the UK capital if Britain opts out of European Union membership. Prime Minister David Cameron has promised to renegotiate Britain's relationship with the EU and then hold a vote by the end of 2017 on …
- FOREX -Dollar surge cools, eyes on Yellen, inflation Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, May 22, 2015 12:50 BST
The dollar fell on Friday but remained on course for its first week of gains since the start of April ahead of inflation numbers that may add to concerns over the pace of U.S. economic growth. For the week it is up more than 1 percent against the yen.
- Misconduct bill tops $235 bln as banks struggle to shake off past sins Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, May 22, 2015 10:31 BST
Twenty of the world's biggest banks have paid more than $235 billion in fines and compensation in the last seven years for a litany of misdeeds that has scarred the industry and is delaying its rehabilitation. The misconduct bill is expected to rise by tens of billions more dollars, and many politicians, regulators and …
- London midday: Stocks hold on to gains before US CPI, Vodafone continues to rise Sharecast - Fri, May 22, 2015 01:26 BST
UK stocks held on to gains on Friday ahead of some key economic data from the States, which is forecast to show that the US remained in deflation last month.
- Electrocomponents rocked by currency swings, as FTSE rises Telegraph - Thu, May 21, 2015 19:41 BST
Electrocomponents posted a 5pc fall in full-year pre-tax profits after being hit by adverse foreign exchange movements
- London close: Stocks finish flat on global economic data comes in mixed Sharecast - Thu, May 21, 2015 18:17 BST
A barrage of mixed economic data from across the globe had an equally mixed impact on the markets on Thursday, with UK stocks finishing broadly flat after swinging between gains and losses for most of ...
- FTSE 250 movers: Booker soars on retail bid, Inchcape hit by weaker revenue Sharecast - Thu, May 21, 2015 17:35 BST
London's secondary equity index was inching higher on Wednesday afternoon, buoyed by stronger than expected retail sales and strong performances from mining, telecommunications and pharmaceutical stocks....
- Why I Would Buy Henry Boot plc And Associated British Foods plc But Sell Enquest Plc Fool.co.uk - Thu, May 21, 2015 15:02 BST
Royston Wild examines the investment cases of Henry Boot plc (LON: BHY), Associated British Foods plc (LON: ABF) and Enquest Plc (LON: ENQ).
- Thursday broker round-up Sharecast - Thu, May 21, 2015 14:05 BST
Barclays: JP Morgan Cazenove reiterates overweight and 285p target.
- 'Insurance for my dog costs £3,400 a year' Telegraph - Thu, May 21, 2015 08:30 BST
'Lifetime cover' won't necessarily protect you from rising pet insurance premiums, as Sophie Carr recently discovered
- 5 Dividend Darlings For Your Stocks Portfolio: Diageo plc, Tullett Prebon Plc, Segro plc, Provident Financial plc And Kier Group plc Fool.co.uk - Wed, May 20, 2015 14:14 BST
Royston Wild explains why Diageo plc (LON: DGE), Tullett Prebon Plc (LON: TLPR), Segro plc (LON: SGRO), Provident Financial plc (LON: PFG) and Kier Group plc (LON: KIE) should all be on the radar of clever ...
- MOVES-Societe Generale, Allianz, Deutsche Bank, TPG Capital Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, May 19, 2015 21:23 BST
The following financial services industry appointments were announced on Tuesday. To inform us of other job changes, email firstname.lastname@example.org. BANK OF AMERICA Bank of America's Merrill Lynch said ...
- Sector movers: Miners weigh on FTSE, real estate continues to rally Sharecast - Tue, May 19, 2015 18:45 BST
Industrial metals and mining provided the biggest drag on the FTSE on Tuesday, as giants BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto registered some of the biggest losses.
- London close: FTSE gains ground on Tuesday despite miner sell-off Sharecast - Tue, May 19, 2015 18:21 BST
Despite a sell-off of the blue chip miners, UK shares gained ground on Tuesday but failed to hold above the 7,000-point mark as policymakers painted the first fall in inflation since the 1960s as "good" ...
- Renew Holdings raises dividend as first half profit grows Sharecast - Tue, May 19, 2015 16:58 BST
Renew Holdings reported a gain in pre-tax profit for the first half of this year on rising revenue, and said it was increasing the interim dividend by 50%.
- FTSE 250 movers: Big Yellow surges on rising profits, miners lower Sharecast - Tue, May 19, 2015 16:17 BST
UK stocks edged higher on Tuesday, despite confirmation of the UK's first deflation since the 1960s. Sector-wise, losses made by miners and telecommunications were offset by strong results from real estate, ...
- 5 Stocks With Incredible Payout Potential: BT Group plc, Halfords Group plc, Aberdeen Asset Management plc, Esure Group PLC And Galliford Try plc Fool.co.uk - Tue, May 19, 2015 15:28 BST
Royston Wild explains why BT Group plc (LON: BT.A), Halfords Group plc (LON: HFD), Aberdeen Asset Management plc (LON: ADN), Esure Group PLC (LON: ESUR) and Galliford Try plc (LON: GFRD) should cheer income ...
- ECB primes monetary cannon for "front loaded" assault on debt markets Telegraph - Tue, May 19, 2015 14:09 BST
Eurozone policymakers have opted to increase their bond buying ahead of a summer lull in debt markets, driving down the euro
- Broker round-up: DCC, Vodafone, Land Securities Sharecast - Tue, May 19, 2015 12:36 BST
Support services group DCC maintained its track record after another year of strong earnings growth, analysts at Berenberg said in a note on Tuesday.
- Vodafone's Project Spring fails to deliver bounce for Nomura and SocGen Sharecast - Tue, May 19, 2015 12:22 BST
Analysts were somewhat disappointed in full-year results from Vodafone, with Nomura bemoaning the lack of profits bounce generated Project Spring in its first year, while Societe General wondered if the ...
- Should you invest in the peer-to-peer fund that's won over the likes of Neil Woodford? Telegraph - Tue, May 19, 2015 11:19 BST
Investment trust bargain of the week: P2P Global Investments
- Societe Generale 'knew about rogue trader's actions': report AFP - Mon, May 18, 2015 19:36 BST
- European stocks slide on Greek debt fears AFP - Mon, May 18, 2015 15:46 BST
- European stocks slide AFP - Mon, May 18, 2015 13:06 BST
- Europe shares lose ground, Germany outperforms Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, May 18, 2015 12:41 BST
European shares slipped on Monday, with German auto stocks among the few bright spots, as energy earnings, persistent concerns over Greece's cash crunch and looming share sales in the banks sector sapped ...
- Some asset managers go too easy on companies at AGMs - activist group Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, May 18, 2015 12:20 BST
"Our survey suggests a wide range of big names in asset management aren't exercising their stewardship responsibilities at some of the world's biggest companies," said ShareAction Chief Executive Catherine Howarth. At the other end of the scale, however, some asset managers, including Columbia Threadneedle Investments, …
- London midday: Early gains wiped out on Greek uncertainty Sharecast - Mon, May 18, 2015 01:18 BST
UK stock markets had erased gains and were trading flat by Monday lunchtime with financial shares providing a drag on concerns about Greece.
- Week ahead: Flow of UK data to pick up Sharecast - Fri, May 15, 2015 16:58 BST
In the coming week investors will focus on the minutes of the latest policy meetings of the Federal Open Market Committee and Monetary Policy Committee, both of which are due out on Wednesday.
- Philippines' Aboitiz Equity plans to buy Lafarge's local cement business Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, May 15, 2015 06:03 BST
Philippine conglomerate Aboitiz Equity Ventures Inc said on Friday it had signed an agreement for a possible acquisition of Lafarge's local cement operations in partnership with Irish building supplies ...
- Telecity falls as Digital Realty Trust denies takeover speculation Telegraph - Thu, May 14, 2015 19:52 BST
In a statement released on Thursday Digital Realty Trust put an end to any recent takeover speculation of Telecity