- GLOBAL MARKETS-Shares up on China relief, Ukraine strains remain Reuters - UK Focus - 24 minutes ago
Global equity markets advanced broadly on Wednesday after growth in China beat expectations and cheered investors worried about its economy, while the dollar slid on the growing view the Federal Reserve ...
- Buoyant UK jobs and wage data burnish sterling's appeal Reuters - UK Focus - 44 minutes ago
Sterling rose to its highest level in more than a month against the euro on Wednesday, after British data showed the jobless rate falling to a five-year low and wage growth picking up to match inflation for the first time in nearly four years. That is in sharp contrast to expectations of more easing by the European Central …
- Velocys boosted by British Airways landfill-to-fuel update Sharecast - 1 hour 19 minutes ago
News that a British Airways biomass-to-jet fuel project has entered the site engineering phase has given a boost to AIM-listed Velocys, which is to provide its gas-to-liquids technology to the scheme's ...
- European shares bounce back as Chinese data reassures Reuters - UK Focus - 1 hour 38 minutes ago
* China growth beats forecasts; * Euro STOXX 50 up 1 pct, moves above 50-day moving average (Updates prices, adds quote, detail) LONDON/PARIS, April 16 (Reuters) - European shares rose on Wednesday, reversing the previous session's slide after economic growth data from China came in a touch above forecasts. At 1508 …
- Why RSA Insurance Group plc Could Be A Super Recovery Play Fool.co.uk - 2 hours 50 minutes ago
After a change in management, RSA Insurance Group plc (LON: RSA) could make a comeback.
- Credit Suisse hit by weak investment bank performance Reuters - UK Focus - 3 hours ago
Credit Suisse (NYSE: CS - news) said on Wednesday first-quarter net profit fell by more than a third due to a big drop in bond trading revenues, increasing pressure on CEO Brady Dougan to make deeper cuts to its investment banking business. Switzerland's second-largest bank, unlike larger rival UBS , has largely stuck …
- European stocks rebound AFP - 4 hours ago
- UBI buys back minorities to shore up core capital Reuters - UK Focus - 4 hours ago
* Italian bank to buy back minority stakes in 3 banks * Part of revision of commercial accords with UK's Aviva (Berlin: GU8.BE - news) (Refiles to add dropped word 'units' in second paragraph) MILAN, April 16 (Reuters) - UBI Banca (Frankfurt: BPD.F - news) will buy back minority stakes in three bank units as part of …
- AUD/USD initiates short-term weakness after Chinese data Sharecast - 5 hours ago
The Australian dollar erased an earlier loss after a report showed growth was stronger than forecast in China
- Finland's Metso rejects merger with Weir Telegraph - 5 hours ago
Engineer Metso prefers independence to tie-up with Scottish group
- Weir Group still believes in rationale for Metso merger Telegraph - 5 hours ago
Finnish engineering group Metso rejects Scottish peer's combination proposal in favour of independence
- Sterling marches towards recent peaks on buoyant UK data Reuters - UK Focus - 6 hours ago
Sterling rose towards recent highs against the dollar and the euro on Wednesday after UK data showed the jobless rate falling to a five-year low and wage growth picking up to match inflation for the first time in nearly four years. The better-than-expected UK data bolstered expectations the Bank of England may have to …
- Wednesday broker round-up Sharecast - 6 hours ago
Alexander Mining: Northland lowers target price from 8.1p to 6.1 and maintains a buy recommendation.
- Recovery bets could increase exposure to European banks Sharecast - 6 hours ago
Even though the experts at Berenberg remain wary of the recovery in Europe, they believe that more confident investors may be looking to increase their exposure to European banks and recommended ING as ...
- Brenda Kelly: Despite mixed forecasts I'd buy gold at these levels Sharecast - 7 hours ago
Gold - the most emotive of trades - is on the slide. The base at $1,180 per oz formed at the latter part of last year, following a fairly staggering 29% fall in a single year, led to a decent recovery ...
- RSA bids farewall to Chief of UK & Western Europe business Sharecast - 8 hours ago
Adrian Brown, the Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of RSA Insurance's UK & Western Europe business has agreed to resign, it announced on Wednesday.
- London pre-open: FTSE set for early gains Sharecast - 8 hours ago
UK stocks are set to recover some of its recent losses this morning, as investors track gains in the US and Asia amid a raft of company releases.
- Insurer RSA's head of UK and Western Europe quits Reuters - UK Focus - 8 hours ago
The head of British insurer RSA's UK and Western Europe business has resigned ahead of a strategic shakeup, the group's second top-level management change in two days. RSA on Wednesday said Adrian Brown, who has worked at the group for 25 years, has resigned from the board but will stay in his executive role until a successor …
- UBI Banca revises accords with British insurer Aviva Reuters - UK Focus - 9 hours ago
Italy's UBI Banca has agreed to sell Aviva a further 30 percent stake in two life bancassurance ventures, previously jointly controlled, and buy back from the British insurer minority stakes in three of ...
- ECB plan could boost shares in Europe's weakest companies Reuters - UK Focus - 10 hours ago
* ECB corporate bond buying seen easing borrowing costs * Italian, Spanish banks tipped as winners LONDON, April 16 (Reuters) - Shares in some of Europe's least profitable and most indebted companies are set to outperform in the coming months if the European Central Bank starts buying corporate bonds to fight the threat …
- Europe agrees laws to tackle problem banks Telegraph - 15 hours ago
Vote in the European Parliament gives the final stamp of approval for an agency to shut weak lenders in the eurozone
- FOREX-Commodity currencies feel the heat as China data looms Reuters - UK Focus - 16 hours ago
* G3 currencies subdued, Yellen's speech eyed SYDNEY, April 16 (Reuters) - Commodity currencies nursed heavy losses early on Wednesday, while the other major currencies struggled for clear direction as investors kept a nervous eye on developments in Ukraine and ahead of a slew of Chinese economic data. The market is braced …
- MOVES- Barclays, Lloyds Banking Group, Deutsche Bank, BCS Financial Reuters - UK Focus - 20 hours ago
The following financial services industry appointments were announced on Tuesday. To inform us of other job changes, email to firstname.lastname@example.org. BARCLAYS PLC The bank said it would appoint Crawford ...
- FOREX-Dollar pares gains against euro on rising Ukraine tensions Reuters - UK Focus - 20 hours ago
* Russia says Ukraine on brink of civil war NEW YORK (Frankfurt: HX6.F - news) , April 15 (Reuters) - The dollar pared gains against the euro on Tuesday after rising tensions in Ukraine sent U.S. bond yields lower and capped demand for the U.S. currency. Russia declared Ukraine on the brink of civil war on Tuesday as …
- Market report: Miners hit by gold sell-off Telegraph - 21 hours ago
Gold and silver fell sharply and pulled precious metals miners lower
- Barclays replaces embattled head of pay committee Telegraph - 21 hours ago
Bank chairman leaps to defence of Sir John Sunderland as bank denies move was to pacify irate investors
- House Price Concern As Wider Inflation Eases Sky News - 21 hours ago
- Fairfax-led group to invest in Eurobank in bet on Greek turnaround Reuters - UK Focus - 22 hours ago
* Fairfax, others bid for 47 pct of Eurobank share issue * Move (NasdaqGS: MOVE - news) shows Greece back on investor radar screens (Recasts with bailout fund picking Fairfax) ATHENS, April 15 (Reuters) - International investors are to invest 1.3 billion euros ($1.8 billion) in Eurobank to become the bailed-out Greek …
- Eight 'anchor' investors to back Euronext listing -sources Reuters - UK Focus - 22 hours ago
* Group includes BNP (Paris: FR0000131104 - news) , SocGen (Paris: FR0000130809 - news) , Caisse des Depots, ING, ABN Amro, Banco Espirito Santo * Euroclear expected to join consortium - source (Adds comments by Euroclear, Belfius, analyst, no comment from ING) LONDON, April 15 (Reuters) - A consortium of eight 'anchor' …
- Europe close: German stocks hit as Russian units enter Ukraine Sharecast - 22 hours ago
Parts of Russian special forces unit spotted in Ukraine - RIA Novosti, Ukraine says Russian troops have entered the country - Bloomberg, Italian and German equities bear brunt of selling
- London close: FTSE down as Russian units spotted in Ukraine Sharecast - 22 hours ago
FTSE closes down 42.15 points at 6,541.61; Ukraine says Russian forces have entered the country; UK inflation falls to 1.6 per cent in March; German investor confidence falls for 4th month
- Market overview: FTSE closes down 42 at 6,542 Sharecast - 23 hours ago
1630: Close It was another negative finish in the City on Tuesday as concerns about Ukraine, mixed corporate news, and disappointing data from across the globe. UK inflation fell to 1.6 per cent in March ...
- Russia's VTB in talks with Bank of England to resolve dispute over UK arm Reuters - UK Focus - 23 hours ago
Russia's No.2 bank VTB is in talks to resolve a dispute with the Bank of England over demands made on its UK business that the bank's CEO suggested could be politically motivated in the light of the West's standoff with Russia over Ukraine. VTB said a week ago the Bank of England had made demands on its UK subsidiary …
- Three former ICAP brokers in UK court on Libor fixing charges Reuters - UK Focus - 23 hours ago
* Former ICAP brokers appear at a London court * Part of global investigation into alleged Libor fixing (Adds comments from U.S. Justice Department, background) LONDON, April 15 (Reuters) - Three former brokers at ICAP (Berlin: GBNA.BE - news) , the world's largest interdealer broker, appeared in a London court on Tuesday …
- UK inflation eases to 1.6pc in March Telegraph - 23 hours ago
Burden on Inflation in March dropped to a new four-year low, led by a fall in petrol prices and clothing