- Exclusive: Biogen prices hemophilia drug on par with older therapies Reuters - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 20:04 BST
The move could pressure rivals such as Pfizer Inc to lower prices for existing hemophilia treatments, which provide patients with life-saving infusions of a blood clotting agent, according to doctors and industry analysts. Biogen last month won U.S. and Canadian approval for Alprolix to treat hemophilia B, the more rare …
- RSA directors cut their stakes Sharecast - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 16:32 BST
A round-up of the biggest director deals today so far.
- UnitedHealth says first-quarter profit fell on reform costs Reuters - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 13:40 BST
The company said the costs related to the Affordable Care Act and the effects of budget sequestration last year on payments from the government negatively affected earnings by about 35 cents per share. Its Optum technology-related division, which has worked on the online insurance exchanges created by that reform law, …
- AstraZeneca Plc’s Greatest Strengths Fool.co.uk - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 13:32 BST
Two standout factors supporting an investment in AstraZeneca plc (LON: AZN).
- Europe open: France on the road to recovery after policy measures Sharecast - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 10:40 BST
France unveils new spending cuts; Yellen says Fed will remain accommodative; Ukraine talks begin in Geneva
- London open: Diageo leads stocks lower ahead of Easter weekend Sharecast - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 09:56 BST
Ukraine crisis in focus as leaders meet in Geneva; US data, corporate earnings closely watched; Diageo drops as weak Q3 dampens growth.
- London midday: Markets flat as Ukraine crisis dampens risk appetite Sharecast - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 01:23 BST
Ukraine turmoil continues as clashes turn deadly; Investors cautious ahead of four-day weekend; US corporate earnings in focus; Diageo, Remy Cointreau dampen sentiment in beverage sector.
- Europe midday: Remy Cointreau weighs on beverage stocks, Diageo Sharecast - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 01:12 BST
Ukraine diplomacy talks in Geneva begin; European car sales rise; France unveils spending cuts; Fed committed to monetary accommodation, says Yellen
- New kind of trial aims to speed cancer drug development Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 00:01 BST
Scientists and drugmakers are pioneering a new kind of clinical trial that changes the way cancer drugs are studied, potentially cutting both the time and cost of bringing them to market. Instead of testing one drug at a time, a novel lung cancer study announced on Thursday will allow British researchers to test up to …
- FTSE advances on Chinese data, Sports Direct sprints ahead Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 16:47 BST
Britain's benchmark stock index rose on Wednesday after Chinese economic data came in a touch above forecasts, with Tesco rising on aggressive strategy plans and Sports Direct surging on a bullish note ...
- Danske Bank fined by Nasdaq OMX over AstraZeneca share trading Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 13:09 BST
* It placed orders that were not intended to result in trades -Nasdaq OMX * The orders were genuine and intended to lead to trades -Danske Bank (Adds details) April 16 (Reuters) - The Nasdaq OMX (NasdaqGS: NDAQ - news) stock exchange in Stockholm has fined Danske Bank 500,000 Swedish crowns ($76,100) for breaching trading …
- Danske Bank fined by Nasdaq OMX bourse Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 12:27 BST
Nasdaq OMX in Stockholm said it had decided to order Denmark's Danske Bank to pay a fine of 500,000 Swedish crowns for breaching trading rules. The stock exchange's disciplinary committee said the bank ...
- FTSE edges up on Chinese data, Sports Direct sprints ahead Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 12:17 BST
Britain's benchmark stock index edged up on Wednesday after Chinese growth data came in a touch above forecasts, while results lifted Tesco (Xetra: TCO.DE - news) shares and a positive broker note boosted Sports Direct. The sportswear retailer surged 5.8 percent to the lead FTSE 100's gainers, with traders citing a bullish …
- Neil Woodford’s High Income Fund Farewell: Wm. Morrison Supermarkets plc, Rentokil Initial plc And Sanofi SA Fool.co.uk - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 10:36 BST
Woodford's mega-million moves on Wm. Morrison Supermarkets plc (LON:MRW), Rentokil Initial plc (LON:RTO) and Sanofi SA (NYSE:SNY).
- Reckitt leans towards pharmaceuticals spin-off Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 10:30 BST
Consumer goods maker Reckitt Benckiser Group stood by its 2014 financial targets on Wednesday despite unusually weak sales of disinfectants and signalled it was leaning toward spinning off its declining pharmaceuticals business. The British company said a strategic review of Reckitt Benckiser Pharmaceuticals (RBP) that …
- Wednesday broker round-up Sharecast - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 10:16 BST
Alexander Mining: Northland lowers target price from 8.1p to 6.1 and maintains a buy recommendation.
- London open: Stocks bounce off three-week low as Tesco gains Sharecast - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 10:15 BST
Tesco, Hargreaves, Burberry and Persimmon rise after updates; Momentum shares bounce back after recent falls; Chinese data mixed, growth slows; Global economic data in focus today.
- STOCKS NEWS EUROPE-Germany's Morphosys up on Deutsche Bank note Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 08:32 BST
Shares in biotech company Morphosys soar 7.3 percent to 59.49 euros, making them the biggest gainers on the German technology TECDAX index after Deutsche Bank increases its price target to 81 euros from ...
- London close: FTSE down as Russian units spotted in Ukraine Sharecast - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 18:11 BST
FTSE closes down 42.15 points at 6,541.61; Ukraine says Russian forces have entered the country; UK inflation falls to 1.6 per cent in March; German investor confidence falls for 4th month
- J&J beats forecasts as sales of new drugs shine Reuters - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 17:32 BST
J&J on Tuesday said it earned $4.73 billion, or $1.64 per share, in the first quarter. "Strong pharmaceuticals results showcased a very strong 2014 start for J&J," said Morningstar analyst Damien Conover, referring to sales growth of almost 11 percent for prescription medicines in the quarter. He cited particularly strong …
- Shire assures currencies won't have impact on Q1 results Sharecast - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 17:31 BST
Ahead of the release of its first-quarter results, drugmaker Shire assured that foreign exchange was not expected to have a material effect on revenues.
- FDA approves GSK's Tanzeum to treat type 2 diabetes Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 16:45 BST
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved GlaxoSmithKline Plc's Tanzeum injection for treating adults with type 2 diabetes, in combination with diet and exercise. Tanzeum will carry a warning on its ...
- J&J beats forecasts, helped by new medicines Reuters - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 13:30 BST
- London open: Stocks fall after China data and mixed corporate news Sharecast - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 11:40 BST
Chinese new credit falls in March, money supply slows down; Corporate earnings/updates receive mixed reaction; Economic data in focus later on.
- Adverse currency moves hit Roche first-quarter sales Reuters - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 07:12 BST
Adverse currency moves weighed on first-quarter sales at Roche Holding AG (VTX:ROG), which fell 1 percent, despite a healthy uptake of its new cancer medicines. The strong performance of its cancer drugs and rheumatoid arthritis treatment RoActemra helped compensate for the loss of exclusivity on chemotherapy drug Xeloda …
- Questor share tip: Buy GlaxoSmithKline for the long term Telegraph - Mon, Apr 14, 2014 20:08 BST
GlaxoSmithKline shares are unloved and cheap following bribery allegations, but the cash and dividend make them a buy, says Questor.
- GSK faces criminal bribery investigation in Poland Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Apr 14, 2014 09:59 BST
* Allegations follow corruption accusations in China, Iraq * Alleged misconduct relates to promotion of lung drug (Adds GSK and CBA statements, analyst comment, more on other bribery cases) LONDON/WARSAW, April 14 (Reuters) - GlaxoSmithKline (Frankfurt: GS7.F - news) is facing a criminal investigation in Poland for allegedly …
- Week Ahead: Eurozone CPI and raft of Chinese data may hold key Sharecast - Mon, Apr 14, 2014 09:50 BST
The next week will be a holiday shortened one, but will nevertheless see the release of a raft of macroeconomic indicators.
- Business news and markets: as it happened - April 14, 2014 Telegraph - Mon, Apr 14, 2014 08:42 BST
Oil prices climb higher as the European Union plans a "third tier" of economic sanctions against Russia
- Vectura Group to begin European study for asthma treatment Sharecast - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 16:37 BST
Vectura Group will begin a study in Europe later this calendar year for Favolir, its investigational product for severe, uncontrolled asthma.
- AstraZeneca India unit sets floor price for stock delisting Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 15:29 BST
AstraZeneca Pharma India Ltd, a unit of British drugmaker AstraZeneca Plc (NYSE: AZN - news) , said on Friday the floor price for its delisting from the Indian stock exchanges had been set at 854.1 rupees a share. AstraZeneca said the delisting of the Indian unit and an increase in its ownership would provide it with "greater …
- MPs move ahead with proposals for all-female short-lists for business roles Sharecast - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 12:00 BST
UK MPs have taken a step forward with proposals to gain legal clarification on all-female short-lists for business positions in a bid to boost the number of women in Britain's boardrooms.
- Friday broker round-up Sharecast - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 11:21 BST
Ashmore Group: Jefferies ups target price from 375p to 400p and keeps a buy recommendation. JP Morgan lowers target price from 351p to 345p and reiterates a neutral rating.
- Should You Buy GlaxoSmithKline plc After Recent Declines? Fool.co.uk - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 09:53 BST
Could it be time to buy GlaxoSmithKline plc (LON: GSK)?
- STOCKS NEWS EUROPE-Biotechs hit as UK small caps fall Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 09:17 BST
The FTSE Small Cap Index falls 0.4 percent while the junior-listed FTSE AIM All Share Index retreats 0.8 percent, broadly tracking a 0.8 percent drop on the blue-chip FTSE 100 index. The FTSE 250 mid-cap ...