- European stocks close after upbeat earnings AFP - 11 minutes ago
- AstraZeneca boss deflects talk of Pfizer bid Telegraph - 40 minutes ago
Pascal Soriot distances himself from talk of a mega-merger, saying he prefers collaborations and partnerships
- Healthcare deal hopes push FTSE to 7-week closing high Reuters - UK Focus - 53 minutes ago
Britain's top share index hit a seven-week closing high on Thursday, bolstered by expectations of deal-making in the healthcare sector, though renewed tension in Ukraine dented the market's gains. Smith ...
- Zimmer to buy Biomet for $13.35 billion in latest consolidation Reuters - 53 minutes ago
Investors gave a resounding thumbs up to the announcement, sending Zimmer shares up more than 18 percent on expectations the larger scale will help it navigate stiffer pricing pressure on medical devices from hospitals and insurers. The deal is expected to take Zimmer from the fourth-largest seller of orthopaedics products …
- Sector movers: Healthcare stocks rise as M&A fever continues Sharecast - 1 hour 3 minutes ago
Global M&A activity gave stocks in the healthcare equipment and services a boost on Thursday, with Smith & Nephew rising strongly after a takeover bid for sector peer Biomet.
- FTSE 100 movers: AstraZeneca leads after revenue beats expectations Sharecast - 1 hour 3 minutes ago
AstraZeneca rose on the back of better-than-expected revenue growth of three per cent in the first quarter, driven by the pharmaceutical company's diabetes franchise. Shares were up despite earnings falling ...
- How Did AstraZeneca plc End Up Thrashing Rival GlaxoSmithKline plc? Fool.co.uk - 1 hour 10 minutes ago
AstraZeneca plc (LON: AZN) has handed out a real thrashing to pharmaceutical rival GlaxoSmithKline plc (LON: GSK) lately, but Harvey Jones suggests the tables could soon turn.
- Fresh Ukraine tensions dent FTSE, but healthcare stocks keep market up Reuters - UK Focus - 1 hour 34 minutes ago
Fresh tensions in Ukraine took their toll on Britain's top shares on Thursday, wiping out much of the day's gains, although expectations of deal-making in the healthcare sector kept the market buoyant. ...
- Neil Woodford’s successor gloomy on FTSE 100 prospects Telegraph - 1 hour 45 minutes ago
Mark Barnett, the replacement for investment guru Neil Woodford, has made a downbeat prediction for the UK stock market
- PuriCore slides after annual losses widen Sharecast - 2 hours 57 minutes ago
Wider pre-tax losses and a slight decrease in the annual profit margin sent PuriCore shares tumbling more than 11 per cent on Thursday.
- Market overview: Standard Life to vote against Barclays remuneration report Sharecast - 3 hours ago
1342: At this morning's heated AGM in London Barclays investor Standard Life Investments said it will vote against the 2013 remuneration report.
- Markets today: 5 things you may have missed Telegraph - 3 hours ago
Demand for shares in drugmakers AstraZeneca and Shire pull FTSE 100 higher
- Beginners Portfolio: Apple Inc Confounds The Critics Fool.co.uk - 3 hours ago
We have good news from Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL) and GlaxoSmithKline (LON: GSK).
- Broker tips: AstraZeneca, Barclays, BSkyB, Hammerson Sharecast - 3 hours ago
Panmure Gordon has kept a 'hold' recommendation for AstraZeneca after a mixed first quarter from the pharmaceutical group, but said there were some 'bright lights' in the results such as its heartburn ...
- AstraZeneca plans spin-offs as cancer progress fuels bid talk Reuters - 4 hours ago
AstraZeneca announced faster-than-expected progress of its experimental cancer drugs and plans to spin off billions of dollars of non-core assets as it staked a claim for independence following reports of bid interest from Pfizer. The British firm declined to comment on Thursday about a weekend newspaper report it had …
- MARKET PULSE-Apple, AstraZeneca, D.R. Horton, Novartis, Zimmer Reuters - UK Focus - 5 hours ago
April 24 - U.S. stock index futures were higher on Thursday, with Nasdaq futures jumping more than 1 percent following a pair of blowout results from technology stalwarts Apple and Facebook. Dow Jones ...
- Drugmaker AstraZeneca drives FTSE to multi-week high Reuters - UK Focus - 5 hours ago
Gains in AstraZeneca driven by bid speculation helped propel Britain's FTSE 100 to six-week highs on Thursday, with analysts seeing scope for more gains on the index after it moved above its recent range. ...
- There’s A 14% Slump Ahead For AstraZenenca plc Fool.co.uk - 5 hours ago
Recovery might be coming for AstraZeneca plc (LON: AZN), but it'll take a few more years.
- European stocks rebound on upbeat earnings AFP - 5 hours ago
- US STOCKS-Futures gain on tech results, Apple soars in premarket Reuters - UK Focus - 5 hours ago
U.S. stock index futures were higher on Thursday, with Nasdaq futures jumping more than 1 percent following a pair of blowout results from technology stalwarts Apple and Facebook. * Apple Inc in particular ...
- Lilly posts sales below estimates, trims profit forecast Reuters - 6 hours ago
- The Buy Case For GlaxoSmithKline plc Just Got Better Fool.co.uk - 6 hours ago
Prospects for GlaxoSmithKline plc (LON:GSK) have improved.
- Thursday newspaper round-up: Ukraine, AstraZeneca, Scotland Sharecast - 7 hours ago
The rhetoric between Kiev and Moscow has taken a distinct turn for the worse. On Wednesday Russia warned that any attack on its citizens in Ukraine would be considered as an attack on itself. That came ...
- Pharma giant Novartis sees net profit jump 24% AFP - 7 hours ago
- London open: FTSE 100 rises after results from Apple, Facebook Sharecast - 7 hours ago
Apple, Facebook lift sentiment after results; FTSE 100 at highest since March 7th; Miners Anglo, ABG and Centamin rise.
- Astra looking to partner or sell infection, neuroscience drugs Reuters - UK Focus - 8 hours ago
AstraZeneca is looking to partner or sell its anti-infective and neuroscience drugs, since these products are no longer core areas for the British drugmaker, its chief executive said on Thursday. Pascal ...
- AstraZeneca plc Rises On Cancer Treatment Prospects Fool.co.uk - 8 hours ago
No mention of a potential Pfizer bid in AstraZeneca plc's (LON: AZN) latest results.
- European stocks rebound as M&A boosts industrial shares Reuters - UK Focus - 8 hours ago
European shares resumed their upward trend on Thursday as mergers and acquisitions and a solid update from France's Schneider Electric fuelled a rally in the industrial sector. Shares in Alstom jumped ...
- Britain's FTSE hits six-week high, miners lead Reuters - UK Focus - 8 hours ago
Britain's top share index hit a six-week high on Thursday, with miners leading the market higher tracking firmer metals prices, while Anglo American also reported strong output numbers. The UK mining index, ...
- AstraZeneca drugs group says profits halved, blames generics AFP - 9 hours ago
- Business news and markets: as it happened April 24, 2014 Telegraph - 9 hours ago
Barclays faced anger over pay and performance at its annual meeting while the euro dip as Draghi aired possibility of QE in latest speech
- London pre-open: Stocks to open higher, lifted by US tech earnings Sharecast - 9 hours ago
The FTSE 100 is set for a decent start to today's session, boosted by positive after- hours trading in the US last night, driven by strong results from technology giants Facebook and Apple.
- AstraZeneca beats revenue forecasts in Q1, but earnings slide Sharecast - 9 hours ago
Revenues up three per cent, ahead of forecasts; BMS diabetes buyout boosts top line; Earnings fall more than expected.
- AstraZeneca flags cancer advances, silent on Pfizer bid talk Reuters - UK Focus - 10 hours ago
AstraZeneca (NYSE: AZN - news) highlighted progress with a new generation of cancer drugs that may revive its fortunes as it posted a 17 percent fall in core earnings per share on Thursday, reflecting patent losses on profitable older medicines. Britain's second-biggest drugmaker made no reference to a reported 60 billion …
- London close: FTSE ends slightly lower ahead of US earnings Sharecast - 21 hours ago
FTSE closes down 7.02 points at 6,674.74; Focus turns to Apple and Facebook earnings; UK public sector net borrowing falls