- Ferdinand Piech resigns, ending an era at Volkswagen Reuters - UK Focus - 16 hours ago
HAMBURG/FRANKFURT, April 25 (Reuters) - Ferdinand Piech, a towering figure at Volkswagen (Other OTC: VLKAF - news) for more than two decades, resigned as its chairman on Saturday (Shenzhen: 002291.SZ - news) after losing a showdown he had provoked with Chief Executive Martin Winterkorn, ending an era at the iconic German …
- Britain's Labour has 2 point lead ahead of election - YouGov poll for Sunday Times Reuters - UK Focus - 16 hours ago
Britain's opposition Labour Party has a two percentage point lead over Prime Minister David Cameron's Conservatives, according to a YouGov poll for The Sunday Times. The poll showed Labour on 34 percent ...
- HSBC threats are not enough. Someone needs to quit Telegraph - 17 hours ago
HSBC's decision to review its UK domicile was a distraction from Stuart Gulliver’s pay, the bank’s poor performance and the various scandals of the past several years.
- Questor share tip: Buy WPP's technological edge Telegraph - 20 hours ago
WPP has a great future in new markets, and its consumer research is unmatched, says Questor
- UK Labour and Conservatives remain close in YouGov poll Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 23:05 BST
Ahead of Britain's May 7 election, the opposition Labour Party remained about even with Prime Minister David Cameron's Conservatives, according to a YouGov opinion poll for the Sun newspaper published ...
- Nasdaq adds to record with soaring Amazon, Microsoft AFP - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 21:57 BST
- US STOCKS-Tech triumvirate propels Nasdaq, S&P to record highs Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 21:40 BST
The Nasdaq Composite and S&P 500 chalked up record high closes on Friday, propelled by strong results from tech behemoths Google, Amazon and Microsoft. The Nasdaq Composite added 0.71 percent to end at ...
- Sky approached Mediaset to buy pay-TV unit - sources Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 20:21 BST
The Italian unit of Sky Plc (Other OTC: BSYBF - news) approached Italian broadcaster Mediaset (Other OTC: MDIEF - news) to buy its unprofitable pay-TV business Mediaset Premium but was rebuffed, according to two sources close to the matter. Mediaset Premium last year won exclusive rights to broadcast Champions League …
- US STOCKS-Nasdaq hits 15-year high, propelled by tech triumvirate Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 19:33 BST
The Nasdaq Composite hit a 15-year intraday high on Friday afternoon, propelled by strong results from tech behemoths Google, Amazon and Microsoft. The S&P 500 also hit a record intraday high for a second ...
- Week ahead: Political debates and central banks in focus Sharecast - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 19:07 BST
With little doubt what will be of most interest for investors next week, given that the next general elections are now looming, will be the three-way election debate between Cameron, Clegg and Miliband ...
- UK General Election 2015: Poll Watch Sharecast - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 18:57 BST
24 April: The Labour Party lead continued to grow in the newest Populus poll, in which Labour held 35% of the UK's voting intention. The Conservatives held onto their 32% of the vote, while UKIP held 14%, ...
- HSBC leads FTSE closer to record Telegraph - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 18:53 BST
Shares boosted by possibility of avoiding bank levy with move to Hong Kong
- Broker tips: Pearson, French Connection, Reckitt Benckiser Sharecast - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 18:48 BST
Publishing and education group Pearson has been downgraded by broker Numis on valuation grounds, despite a first-quarter statement that was in line with forecasts.
- London close: HSBC and miners lead gains Sharecast - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 18:33 BST
UK stocks ended the session higher, tracking gains on the other side of the Atlantic despite the somewhat mixed newsflow coming out of Greece.
- US STOCKS-Nasdaq hits 15-year high, propelled by Amazon, Microsoft Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 18:16 BST
The Nasdaq Composite extended its gains in early afternoon trading on Friday, hitting a 15-year intraday high, propelled by strong results from tech behemoths Google, Amazon and Microsoft. The S&P 500 ...
- Comcast Spikes $45bn Bid For Time Warner Cable Sky News - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 17:04 BST
Comcast Corp has dropped its $45bn (£29.7bn) bid for Time Warner Cable (Xetra: T3W1.DE - news) after US regulators said the deal would create an unfair market. The proposed merger of the two largest US cable companies would have put more than 32 million television and internet subscribers under the same roof. "The proposed …
- US open: Stocks mixed as Nasdaq extends record gains Sharecast - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 16:31 BST
US stocks fluctuated on Friday, on the back of mixed corporate earnings from the previous session, while the Nasdaq further extending its foray in record territory.
- Comcast, Time Warner Cable drop $45 bn mega-merger plan AFP - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 16:15 BST
- FTSE 100 movers: HSBC rockets on domicile review, Astra hit by heartburn rival Sharecast - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 16:10 BST
HSBC topped the risers as it launched a review of its UK domicile in light of the changing regulatory landscape. Some media commentators suggested the announcement, carefully timed ahead of the general ...
- US STOCKS-Wall St opens up, Nasdaq set to extend record Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 15:24 BST
Wall Street opened up on Friday as strong results from tech behemoths Google (Xetra: A0B7FY - news) , Amazon and Microsoft (NasdaqGS: MSFT - news) set the Nasdaq Composite on track to extend its record close set the previous session. Amazon shares soared as much as 15.6 percent to a lifetime high of $451 after the e-commerce …
- AstraZeneca insists Celgene deal about strategy, not cash Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 15:07 BST
AstraZeneca (NYSE: AZN - news) is getting a $450 million windfall by letting Celgene (Swiss: CELG.SW - news) develop a prized immunotherapy drug for blood cancers but its chief executive insists the deal is about strategy, not cash. Chief Executive Pascal Soriot, however, said he had been looking for a partner in blood …
- US STOCKS-Wall St to open up on tech earnings, Nasdaq to extend record Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 14:07 BST
U.S. stocks were set to open higher on Friday as strong results from tech behemoths Google (Xetra: A0B7FY - news) , Amazon and Microsoft (NasdaqGS: MSFT - news) set the Nasdaq Composite on track to extend its run after surpassing on Thursday a 15-year-old record. The S&P 500 touched a record intraday high on Thursday, …
- Comcast ends $45 bn bid for Time Warner Cable AFP - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 13:59 BST
- EU regulators warn against combining hep C drugs with amiodarone Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 12:55 BST
European health regulators warned on Friday against using Gilead Sciences Inc's and Bristol-Myers Squibb Co's hepatitis C medicines along with amiodarone, a drug used to regulate the heartbeat of people ...
- If Labour wins, HSBC exit could be first of many Telegraph - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 11:26 BST
HSBC, Britain's biggest bank, has announced that it may leave the UK following several increases in the bank levy and post-crisis regulatory changes. Here's why bashing business doesn't pay
- London open: Analysts sanguine on Greece, oil forecasts revised higher Sharecast - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 11:01 BST
Stocks have begun the morning moving modestly higher on residual optimism over the Greek debt negotiations and on the coat-tails of overnight gains on Wall Street, which saw the Nasdaq Composite close ...
- UBM first quarter trading in line with expectations Sharecast - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 10:38 BST
Marketing and communication services provider UBM said trading for the full-year was in line with expectations, after a solid performance in the first quarter.
- Pearson trading in line with expectations, chairman to step down Sharecast - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 09:11 BST
Publishing and education group Pearson said it was in line to meet its full-year expectations after a solid start to the year.
- London pre-open: Stocks called to start the day higher Sharecast - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 08:58 BST
The top flight index is being called to rise by 0.3% at the start of trading as investors patiently wait for the inevitable news-flow which is expected around today´s meeting of Eurozone finance ministers....
- Pearson says chairman to stand down, trading in line Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 07:36 BST
Pearson Chairman Glen Moreno will step down in the next 12 months after more than nine years in the role, the British education and media group said on Friday. The company also said it had made a solid ...
- Comcast 'to drop $45bn bid for Time Warner Cable' Telegraph - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 01:24 BST
Merger between the the two largest cable operators in the US set to collapse amid competition concerns
- London midday: HSBC and StanChart ponders transferring HQ outside UK Sharecast - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 01:18 BST
Stocks were holding modestly higher on Friday at noon amid residual optimism over the Greek debt negotiations and on the coat-tails of overnight gains on Wall Street.
- Nasdaq sets new record 15 years after dot-com crash AFP - Thu, Apr 23, 2015 23:48 BST
- Comcast set to drop mega-merger with TWC AFP - Thu, Apr 23, 2015 23:07 BST
- 'My US shares are being held as lost property' Telegraph - Thu, Apr 23, 2015 21:52 BST
A reader seeks to reclaim shares bought in the Cadbury Schweppes takeover