- The incalculable costs of ignoring new technologies Telegraph - 7 hours ago
Comment: Smart meters may not live up to their promise of saving us significant sums, but numerous other examples of new technology do achieve that goal
- Sunday share tips: Tate & Lyle, Direct Line and Bloomsbury Publishing Sharecast - Sun, May 24, 2015 18:20 BST
Insurer Direct Line's shares are worth holding, according to Midas in the Mail on Sunday. The insurer is part of a new tendency of companies to pay special dividends on top of their two payments per year. ...
- Britain's opposition Labour Party backs Cameron's EU referendum plan Reuters - UK Focus - Sun, May 24, 2015 15:28 BST
Britain's opposition Labour Party will back Prime Minister David Cameron's plans to hold a referendum on the country's European Union membership by the end of 2017, its acting leader said on Sunday. Labour had fought this month's national election, in which it suffered a crushing defeat to Cameron's Conservatives, on the …
- French cable king looks to take over Europe by stealth Telegraph - Sat, May 23, 2015 19:20 BST
Patrick Drahi has adopted a simple but highly effective model - he has borrowed billions on the cheap to fuel a remarkable buying spree.
- US stocks dip as Yellen reaffirms 2015 rate hike AFP - Sat, May 23, 2015 16:45 BST
- Britain's housing crisis: should more green belt land be released? Telegraph - Sat, May 23, 2015 16:16 BST
There are few easy answers to a national shortage of homes needed. Meanwhile house prices continue to rocket
- Questor share tip: Hold Bloomsbury as academic expansion pays off Telegraph - Sat, May 23, 2015 15:41 BST
The Harry Potter publisher isn’t delivering stellar growth rates, but then with a steady profit performance and dividend income it doesn’t have to
- Merck follows Bristol with EU green light for immune cancer drug Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, May 22, 2015 12:22 BST
European regulators have recommended approval of Merck (Swiss: MER.SW - news) & Co Inc's immune system-boosting cancer drug Keytruda, following a similar green light last month for Bristol-Myers Squibb Co's rival product Opdivo. Merck (Other OTC: MKGAF - news) 's drug, also known as pembrolizumab, was endorsed on Friday …
- WPP's Always buys Singapore marketing company 3ree Sharecast - Fri, May 22, 2015 10:05 BST
WPP's China-based marketing company Always Marketing Services has agreed to buy Singapore's 3ree, the advertising group announced on Friday.
- Rothermere Continuation to sell 2.8 mln shares in Daily Mail and General Trust Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, May 21, 2015 19:58 BST
Rothermere Continuation Limited will sell 2.8 million existing shares in Daily Mail and General Trust Plc via an accelerated bookbuild, the bookrunner on the deal said on Thursday. UBS, which is acting ...
- Hays finance boss offloads £1.2m in shares Sharecast - Thu, May 21, 2015 19:01 BST
The finance director of Hays has raised over £1.2m from selling shares in the recruitment specialist, cutting his stake by 44%.
- Phone-hacking victims win large damages from UK's Trinity Mirror Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, May 21, 2015 14:00 BST
Eight mostly celebrity victims of phone-hacking won a total of 1.2 million pounds ($1.9 million) in damages from Britain's Trinity Mirror (LSE: TNI.L - news) newspaper group on Thursday in a court ruling likely to raise the cost of dealing with any future claims. The owner of the Daily Mirror and Sunday Mirror tabloids …
- BUZZ-WPP: momentum trade running out of steam Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, May 21, 2015 13:55 BST
** WPP rally running out of steam with some traders looking to short after stock fails to break recent highs ** Relative strength stuck in a downtrend YTD despite a 15 pct rise in shares, resistance at ...
- Phone-hacking victims win damages from UK's Trinity Mirror group Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, May 21, 2015 11:48 BST
Eight mostly celebrity victims of phone-hacking won a total of 1.2 million pounds ($1.9 million) in damages from Britain's Trinity Mirror (LSE: TNI.L - news) newspaper group on Thursday in the first civil lawsuit related to the tabloid scandal to conclude in court. The victims were actress Sadie Frost, retired footballer …
- Daily Mail group sees higher full-year earnings Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, May 21, 2015 07:46 BST
Daily Mail and General Trust , the publisher of the Mail Online website, said its full-year earnings per share would come in ahead of market expectations due to a reduced tax charge. The group, which said ...
- Telecom Italia welcomes foreign investors as Vivendi entry looms Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, May 20, 2015 19:24 BST
Telecom Italia (Other OTC: TIAJF - news) 's chairman said he welcomed foreign investors in the Italian phone company as French media group Vivendi prepared to become the largest shareholder. "We reject the logic that foreign investments in Telecom Italia are dangerous: whoever brings capital and know-how contributes …
- Bonds: Treasuries pushed higher by strong housing data Sharecast - Wed, May 20, 2015 18:57 BST
Sovereign bond markets were again well bid on Tuesday, although US Treasuries came under selling pressure following a stronger-than-expected reading on US housing starts.
- Telecoms magnate Drahi moves into US with Suddenlink purchase AFP - Wed, May 20, 2015 13:24 BST
- Altice moves into US market with purchase of Suddenlink AFP - Wed, May 20, 2015 11:41 BST
- Estate Agents Abandon Zoopla Property Group PLC: Should You Sell And Buy Rightmove Plc? Fool.co.uk - Wed, May 20, 2015 10:46 BST
Zoopla Property Group PLC (LON:ZPLA) fails a simple test. Should you play safe and buy Rightmove Plc (LON:RMV)?
- Zoopla says Conservative win to boost property market Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, May 20, 2015 09:30 BST
An election victory for Britain's Conservatives earlier this month should help the housing market to grow, property website Zoopla said on Wednesday, announcing a rise in profits. Zoopla, which saw adjusted core earnings rise 14 percent to 21.4 million pounds ($33.1 million) in the six months to the end of March, said …
- Italy investigates sale of soccer rights to Sky, Mediaset Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, May 20, 2015 07:23 BST
Italy's antitrust authority AGCM is investigating the sale of Serie A soccer rights to Sky Italia and Mediaset (Other OTC: MDIUY - news) on suspicion the deal may have violated competition laws and excluded new entrants, the watchdog said on Tuesday. Sky Italia, part of Sky Plc (Other OTC: BSYBF - news) , and Mediaset …
- DCC jumps, as company announces biggest acquisition yet Telegraph - Tue, May 19, 2015 20:10 BST
DCC announced it will buy French gas company Butagaz from oil firm Shell for £338m
- FX round-up: Fed´s Evans says first rate hike can wait Sharecast - Tue, May 19, 2015 20:03 BST
The single currency retreated from three-month highs as a Fed policy-maker argued in favour of patience on implementing the first interest rate hike in the current tightening cycle.
- Europe close: Equities jump on positive remarks from ECB officials Sharecast - Tue, May 19, 2015 18:46 BST
Equities in the euro-area gained on upbeat remarks from European Central Bank (ECB) policymakers.
- European shares return to near multi-year highs Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, May 19, 2015 17:43 BST
European shares rose back to near multi-year highs on Tuesday after a European Central Bank policymaker said it would front-load an asset purchase scheme aimed at boosting the euro economy. The pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 index closed up 1.7 percent at 1,606 points, shrugging off a survey that showed German investor …
- FTSE 100 movers: BHP Billiton extends losses, Land Securities surges on higher dividend Sharecast - Tue, May 19, 2015 16:11 BST
UK stocks edged higher on Tuesday, despite confirmation of the UK's first deflation since the 1960s. Sector-wise, losses made by miners and telecommunications were offset by strong results from real estate, ...
- European shares return near multi-year highs Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, May 19, 2015 15:56 BST
European shares rose back to near multi-year highs on Tuesday after a European Central Bank policymaker said it would front-load an asset purchase scheme, aimed at boosting the euro economy. Athens' stock market, which has consistently underperformed this year due to worries over Greece's debt, also rose after the Greek …
- Mediaset, Sky offices searched in Italian anti-trust investigation Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, May 19, 2015 12:34 BST
Italy's competition watchdog and financial police searched the offices of Mediaset SpA (Other OTC: MDIUY - news) and Sky Italia, part of Sky Plc (Other OTC: BSYBF - news) , on Tuesday in an investigation into the sale of Serie A soccer rights, police and sources with knowledge of the matter said. Italy's soccer league …
- Bank of England's Carney sees "very low" inflation in next few months Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, May 19, 2015 12:09 BST
Bank of England Governor Mark Carney said inflation will likely remain at very low levels for the next few months before picking up towards the end of the year, after data on Tuesday showed inflation fell below zero for the first time in decades. Carney also said Britons should enjoy very low energy and food prices while …
- Britain's FTSE gains, Land Securities up after dividend hike Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, May 19, 2015 12:00 BST
Britain's top share index rose on Tuesday, with Land Securities leading the market higher after raising its dividend payout, despite a drop in heavily weighted miners and telecoms firm Vodafone. The blue-chip ...
- Are Falkland Oil and Gas Limited, Moneysupermarket.Com Group PLC Or SOUTH32 LIMITED A Buy After Today’s News? Fool.co.uk - Tue, May 19, 2015 11:20 BST
Falkland Oil and Gas Limited (LON:FOGL), Moneysupermarket.Com Group PLC (LON:MONY) and SOUTH32 LIMITED (LON:S32) are on the move today.
- UK house prices rise in year to March, ONS reveals Sharecast - Tue, May 19, 2015 11:13 BST
UK house price growth accelerated in the year to March, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
- European shares return near multi-year highs, Greek stocks advance Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, May 19, 2015 09:14 BST
European shares rose back to near multi-year highs on Tuesday after a European Central Bank (ECB) policymaker said the ECB would front-load an asset purchase scheme, aimed at boosting growth in the region. Athens' stock market, which has consistently underperformed this year due to worries over Greece's debt situation, …
- GroupM Expands Sports and Entertainment Offering under New Global Agency Brand ‘ESP’ Business Wire - Tue, May 19, 2015 09:00 BST
GroupM, the world’s leading media investment management company, today announced it is expanding its sports and entertainment offering under a new global agency brand, ESP. ESP is made up of two separate businesses: ESP Properties and ESP Brands. Both businesses will be part of WPP’s media investment management company …