- Week ahead: All eyes on Greece (and the US dollar) Sharecast - 14 hours ago
The very short-term outlook for financial markets has grown more uncertain, but that may throw up some investment opportunities.
- Barclays eyes narrow new UK bank as rivals take different path Reuters - UK Focus - 19 hours ago
Barclays (LSE: BARC.L - news) is planning to set up a smaller separate UK bank than rivals as British lenders finalise how to restructure to meet new rules designed to give greater protection to savers and taxpayers. Britain's big lenders must set up so-called 'ring-fenced banks' by 2019. The new businesses must include …
- Hut Group To Nudge £1bn With New Fundraising Sky News - 22 hours ago
The Hut Group is poised to reinforce its status as one of Britain's most important digital start-ups by raising new funds that will nudge the company's valuation to close to £1bn. Sky News has learnt that The Hut Group, which counts some of the UK's best-known retail executives among its investors and board members, is …
- Is Now The Time To Buy Top Income Stocks Ashmore Group plc, Berkeley Group Holdings PLC & Laura Ashley Holdings plc? Fool.co.uk - 23 hours ago
Roland Head asks whether investors should take advantage of market volatility to buy Ashmore Group plc (LON:ASHM), Berkeley Group Holdings PLC (LON:BKG) and Laura Ashley Holdings plc (LON:ALY).
- Tesco Plc Stops The Rot Fool.co.uk - 23 hours ago
VIDEO: One Fool takes a closer look at Tesco PLC (LON:TSCO).
- Why You Can’t Go Wrong With Booker Group Plc, Imperial Tobacco Group PLC, WPP PLC ORD 10P And Talktalk Telecom Group PLC Fool.co.uk - Fri, Jul 3, 2015 10:17 BST
Booker Group Plc (LON: BOK), Imperial Tobacco Group PLC (LON: IMT), WPP PLC ORD 10P (LON: WPP) and Talktalk Telecom Group PLC (LON: TALK) are all focused on generating shareholder returns.
- RBC, BMO grab top spots in Canadian M&A adviser rankings Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, Jul 2, 2015 19:04 BST
Royal Bank of Canada (Other OTC: RBCDF - news) and Bank of Montreal (Toronto: BMO.TO - news) were the top two advisers on Canadian M&A deals in the first half of 2015, a period during which the overall dollar value of deals surged despite a decline in the actual number of transactions. Thomson Reuters data released …
- Portugal sells landmark aquarium concession for 114 mln euros Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, Jul 2, 2015 16:02 BST
Portugal has agreed to sell the operating rights for the Lisbon Oceanarium for a larger-than-expected 114 million euros ($127 million), helping to meet some of the debts of the public company that managed it. The government said on Thursday it had sold the 30-year concession contract for one of Europe's largest indoor …
- 4 Stocks Set To Soar By 20%: Banco Santander SA, RSA Insurance Group plc, Mitie Group PLC And Inchcape plc Fool.co.uk - Thu, Jul 2, 2015 15:43 BST
These 4 stocks look set to make superb gains: Banco Santander SA (LON: BNC), RSA Insurance Group plc (LON: RSA), Mitie Group PLC (LON: MTO) and Inchcape plc (LON: INCH)
- City Voices Fury At Board 'Kitchen-Sinking' Sky News - Thu, Jul 2, 2015 14:43 BST
The City's most powerful fund management body has hit back at the growing number of troubled blue-chip companies which downgrade profit forecasts and slash shareholder payouts shortly after new executives are parachuted in to transform their fortunes. Sky News has learnt that the Investment Association is to mount a campaign …
- Is Tesco PLC Actually Worth MINUS £2.5bn?! Fool.co.uk - Thu, Jul 2, 2015 12:05 BST
G A Chester looks at a shocking decline in the value of shareholders' equity at Tesco PLC (LON:TSCO).
- Carlyle, MBK on bidders' shortlist for Tesco S.Korea unit-sources Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, Jul 2, 2015 06:20 BST
SEOUL/HONG KONG, July 2 (Reuters) - Carlyle Group and MBK Partners are among the shortlisted bidders for Tesco PLC (Xetra: 852647 - news) 's South Korea business which is valued at about $6 billion, people familiar with the matter told Reuters on Thursday. The sale could be the biggest ever private equity acquisition …
- Buyout Firms Gatecrash £6bn Worldpay Float Sky News - Thu, Jul 2, 2015 06:11 BST
A pack of giant investment firms are examining takeover bids for Worldpay, the UK-based payment processing group which is drawing up plans for a stock market listing valuing it at £6bn. Sky News has learnt that private equity groups including Blackstone (NYSE: BX - news) , CVC (Taiwan OTC: 4744.TWO - news) and Hellman …
- Affinity, Carlyle among 4 shortlisted for Tesco S.Korea unit sale-report Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Jul 1, 2015 23:48 BST
Private equity firms Affinity Equity Partners and Carlyle Group were among four potential buyers shortlisted for the sale of Tesco PLC's South Korean unit seen worth around $6 billion, a South Korean newspaper ...
- UK's John Lewis to charge for click & collect Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Jul 1, 2015 17:33 BST
Britain's biggest department store group, John Lewis, is to begin charging customers using click & collect for low value items, the first major UK retailer to do so, saying the current free service is unsustainable. The employee-owned retailer said on Wednesday that from July 28 online orders for products costing less …
- Thursday preview: US non-farm payrolls to steal the show Sharecast - Wed, Jul 1, 2015 17:33 BST
Along with the usual tug-and-way battle between Greece and its creditors that is likely to continue on Thursday, the all-important US employment report will still probably grab a few headlines.
- Tesco seeks fresh start with suppliers who survive cull Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Jul 1, 2015 16:21 BST
Suppliers to Tesco can expect a better deal from Britain's biggest supermarket chain as it tries to sustain a tentative revival -- providing their wares survive a cull that is removing thousands of products from shelves. Last week Tesco enjoyed the first fruits of a radical shake-up of its 3,000 British suppliers as new …
- Grexit Or No Grexit, These 4 Stocks Are Worth Buying: Centrica PLC, International Consolidated Airlines Group SA, Savills plc And Dignity Plc Fool.co.uk - Wed, Jul 1, 2015 16:11 BST
No matter what the outcome of the Greek debt talks, these 4 stocks offer significant future potential: Centrica PLC (LON: CNA), International Consolidated Airlines Group SA (LON: IAG), Savills plc (LON: ...
- Should You Buy These Low-Beta Shares As The FTSE 100 Extends Losses? Unilever plc, National Grid plc, NEXT plc & IG Group Holdings plc Fool.co.uk - Wed, Jul 1, 2015 16:00 BST
Low beta shares, Unilever plc (LON:ULVR), National Grid plc (LON:NG), NEXT plc (LON:NXT) and IG Group Holdings plc (LON:IGG) offer greater safety from further downside in the FTSE 100.
- 4 Shares To Buy On Market Dips: GlaxoSmithKline plc, SABMiller plc, Dignity Plc & Britvic Plc Fool.co.uk - Wed, Jul 1, 2015 13:12 BST
A weak stock market could put quality firms on sale, such as GlaxoSmithKline plc (LON: GSK), SABMiller plc (LON: SAB), Dignity Plc (LON: DTY) and Britvic Plc (LON: BVIC)
- Why I’d Buy Tesco PLC And Conviviality Retail PLC, But Would Sell Greggs plc Fool.co.uk - Wed, Jul 1, 2015 13:04 BST
While Tesco PLC (LON: TSCO) and Conviviality Retail PLC (LON: CVR) have considerable potential, Greggs plc (LON: GRG) appears to be fully valued
- Carpetright enjoys profit turnaround as stores go upmarket Telegraph - Tue, Jun 30, 2015 21:09 BST
The UK's largest carpet retailer will trial four new format stores over the summer
- Investors shop for a bargain at Home Retail Telegraph - Tue, Jun 30, 2015 19:37 BST
Morgan Stanley's suggestions Argos was trying to reposition itself as an "Amazon with stores" sent shares higher. Meanwhile, Greek woes drag the FTSE to its lowest level since January.
- UK grocery market slides but Morrisons continues to grow, Kantar says Sharecast - Tue, Jun 30, 2015 18:53 BST
The UK's grocery market slipped into decline in the second quarter of 2015, figures released on Tuesday showed.
- Morrisons grows market share for first time since 2011 Telegraph - Tue, Jun 30, 2015 18:42 BST
Morrisons shows signs of recovery, but Tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda suffer fall in sales
- London close: Last-minute Greek proposal fails to lift stocks, FTSE plunges 1.5% Sharecast - Tue, Jun 30, 2015 18:25 BST
A last-minute request from Greek prime minister Alexis Tsipras for a new bailout programme failed to inspire gains on London's stock market as the heavyweight mining sector bore the brunt of a reduction ...
- UK shares fall to 5-1/2 month low, supermarkets sink Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, Jun 30, 2015 17:20 BST
Britain's top equity index hit its lowest level since mid-January on Tuesday, pulled down by miners and supermarkets and underperforming even euro zone shares despite Greece being hours away from a repayment ...
- Should You Buy Barclays PLC, Carpetright plc Or Enquest Plc? Fool.co.uk - Tue, Jun 30, 2015 16:05 BST
Royston Wild assesses the investment cases of Barclays PLC (LON: BARC), Carpetright plc (LON: CPR) and Enquest PLC (LON: ENQ).
- FTSE 100 movers: Travel stocks rebound, but supermarkets dip on Kantar data Sharecast - Tue, Jun 30, 2015 16:02 BST
UK stocks extended losses on Tuesday, as the recovery in travel stocks was offset by weakness in supermarkets and miners.
- Why I’d Buy Tesco Plc, Hold Ocado Group PLC & Sell IGAS Energy PLC Fool.co.uk - Tue, Jun 30, 2015 14:31 BST
Tesco Plc (LON:TSCO), Ocado Group PLC (LON:OCDO) and IGAS Energy PLC (LON:IGAS) are under the spotlight.
- Supermarket Wars: Asda In Market Share Slide Sky News - Tue, Jun 30, 2015 14:11 BST
Industry figures show a slump in sales at Asda as supermarkets continue to compete fiercely for UK market share. In the latest update from Kantar Worldpanel, Asda's market share was measured at 16.5% - down from 17.1% a year ago. That left it level with its biggest rival for the title of the country's second largest chain, …
- J Sainsbury plc And WM Morrison Supermarkets PLC Have Surged. Now Is The Time To Cash In! Fool.co.uk - Tue, Jun 30, 2015 14:10 BST
Royston Wild explains why investors should be ridding themselves of battered J Sainsbury plc (LON: SBRY) and WM Morrison Supermarkets PLC (LON: MRW).
- BUZZ-Tesco/Sainsbury's: top FTSE 100 fallers on weak Kantar data Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, Jun 30, 2015 12:13 BST
** Tesco & Sainsbury's biggest UK blue-chip fallers, nursing respective declines of 2.6% & 2.2%, as Kantar Worldpanel data shows both recorded a sales fall of 1.3% over the last 3 mths ** Morrisons, the ...
- Britain's FTSE pegged back by falls at Tesco and Standard Life Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, Jun 30, 2015 11:00 BST
Britain's top equity index fell towards five-month lows on Tuesday, with insurer Standard Life and supermarket group Tesco underperforming, as worries over Greece weighed on world markets. The blue-chip ...
- BUZZ-Home Retail: Top of the STOXX as star analyst upgrades Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, Jun 30, 2015 10:59 BST
** Home Retail top UK midcap and best performer on the STOXX 600, up 3.5% in decent volume, as Morgan Stanley upgrades rating on stock to "overweight" ** Broker flags "some very interesting ...