- London close: Stocks retreat as Fed rate fears outweigh ECB stimulus Sharecast - 11 hours ago
One day after loose monetary policy in Europe pushed UK stocks to a new record high, fears about a sooner-than-expected tightening in the States dragged markets lower on Friday after a forecast-smashing ...
- Soccer-King and his consortium win control of Rangers Reuters - UK Focus - 12 hours ago
South Africa-based businessman Dave King won the battle for control of Scottish soccer club Rangers on Friday, winning a vote to oust the board and appoint himself and others to the helm of the 54-times league champions. Rangers, which re-formed as a fourth-tier club in 2012 after being wound up and now play in the Scottish …
- ASOS plc, Boohoo.Com PLC, Debenhams Plc, Next plc, Sports Direct International Plc: Which Retailer Will Win? Fool.co.uk - 13 hours ago
Which of the following 5 retailers is the best investment right now: ASOS plc (LON: ASC), Boohoo.Com PLC (LON: BOO), Debenhams Plc (LON: DEB), Next plc (LON: NXT) or Sports Direct International Plc (LON: ...
- Broker tips: Schroders, Kingfisher, Royal Mail, Thomas Cook Sharecast - 14 hours ago
Surging flows into funds at Schroders support the asset manager's premium rating to the sector, according to Berenberg, which hiked its target price for the stock on Friday.
- Are J Sainsbury plc And WM Morrison Supermarkets PLC Takeover Targets? Fool.co.uk - 17 hours ago
Are J Sainsbury plc (LON: SBRY) and WM Morrison Supermarkets PLC (LON: MRW) takeover targets?
- The Real Lessons From Buffett’s Blighted Tesco PLC Trade Fool.co.uk - 17 hours ago
Buffett's dalliance with Tesco PLC (LON:TSCO) cost his shareholders hundreds of millions of dollars…
- Kingfisher's update on store portfolio will likely disappoint, says Citi Sharecast - 17 hours ago
Kingfisher's shares flapped lower on Friday despite analysts at Citigroup raising their price target, as the US bank said the DIY retailer's upcoming strategy update is "likely to disappoint"....
- Sports Direct's Ashley eludes British lawmakers Reuters - UK Focus - 19 hours ago
A British parliamentary committee wanting to question retailer Sports Direct's founder Mike Ashley over the treatment of workers at its fashion chain USC has been told he is unavailable, but said they have not given up yet. The Scottish Affairs Committee said late on Thursday that it had agreed with Sports Direct to hear …
- London midday: FTSE pulls back from record highs ahead of US jobs data Sharecast - Fri, Mar 6, 2015 00:10 GMT
UK stocks were lower on Friday morning but trading within a narrow range with investors cautious ahead of the all-important US non-farm jobs report.
- Carrefour lifts capital spend as European consumers revive Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, Mar 5, 2015 15:48 GMT
Carrefour (Paris: FR0000120172 - news) is stepping up its multi-billion euro investment in store improvements, hoping to cement a turnaround as yearly results showed it was already benefiting from signs of a recovery in consumer spending across Europe. "In Europe we are beginning to see signs of a recovery, notably in …
- BUZZ-European equity strategy: cyclicals and value over defensives and growth Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, Mar 5, 2015 14:34 GMT
** JPM, Morgan Stanley and Barclays strategists all pushing value stocks to clients at the expense of growth names ** MS notes continuing rally in cyclicals v defensives but says unusual that value v growth ...
- Thursday tips round-up: Dignity, Legal & General Sharecast - Thu, Mar 5, 2015 14:16 GMT
There are few things in life as certain as death, which gives funeral parlour operator Dignity exceptional visibility. So while the number of funerals dropped by 3.5% last year, the company is now set ...
- Heston Blumenthal’s head chef joins Lidl Telegraph - Thu, Mar 5, 2015 11:06 GMT
- 3 Of The Safest Dividends In The FTSE 100: Unilever plc, Diageo plc And Tesco PLC Fool.co.uk - Thu, Mar 5, 2015 08:04 GMT
Forward dividends seem built-to-last at Unilever plc (LON: ULVR), Diageo plc (LON: DGE) and Tesco PLC (LON: TSCO)
- Questor share tip: Dignity's shares have jumped in recent months Telegraph - Thu, Mar 5, 2015 05:00 GMT
The funeral service provider has seen pre-tax profits rise and there's plenty of room for the business to grow
- Thursday broker round-up Sharecast - Thu, Mar 5, 2015 00:47 GMT
Rightmove: Credit Suisse lifts target price to 3220p from 2700p but cuts to neutral.
- Halfords set to announce former Monsoon boss as CEO Sharecast - Thu, Mar 5, 2015 00:08 GMT
British auto and parts dealer Halfords could be set to appoint British retail businessman John Browett as its new chief executive after he left fashion retailer Monsoon last month.
- Former Virgin Media FD to float buy-fix-sell vehicle Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 17:46 GMT
Eamonn O'Hare, a former Virgin Media finance director, plans to list a new company to raise cash to buy, turn around and sell assets in the European technology, media and telecommunications sector with a value of up to 3 billion pounds ($4.58 billion). O'Hare, also former chief financial officer at the UK arm of retailer …
- London close: Stocks erase losses as ITV, StanChart and IAG gain Sharecast - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 17:23 GMT
After a weak start, UK markets managed to push into positive territory by Wednesday's close as decent gains from ITV, Standard Chartered and IAG offset some heavy falls in the mining sector.
- Motor racing-Former Sainsbury's boss takes role at Manor F1 team Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 17:20 GMT
Former Sainsbury's chief executive Justin King has been appointed interim chairman of the revived Manor Marussia Formula One team with OVO Energy founder Stephen Fitzpatrick as principal investor. The ...
- FTSE 250 movers: Greggs higher on shareholder returns Sharecast - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 16:47 GMT
Greggs topped the risers after the baker grew its pre-tax profit last year by 50%, allowing it to return up to £10m to shareholders in the first half of 2015 by resuming its share buyback programme. The ...
- 100 Reasons Why J Sainsbury plc Could Be Considered A Buy Fool.co.uk - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 15:45 GMT
Royston Wild outlines supermarket giant J Sainsbury plc's (LON: SBRY) latest idea to resuscitate its flagging fortunes.
- Dignity resurrected after second-half funerals show signs of life Sharecast - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 14:46 GMT
A second half recovery in volumes helped Dignity lay 2014 to rest in style, with results from the funeral services group topping analysts forecasts despite the pall cast by a 3.5% annual decline in funeral ...
- Why I’m Even More Bullish On Tesco PLC After Management Changes Fool.co.uk - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 13:43 GMT
Tesco PLC (LON: TSCO) has a bright future. Here's why.
- Tesco turns to Unilever again for new director Telegraph - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 13:37 GMT
Tesco appoints Byron Grote to board as Gareth Bullock becomes third non-executive in a week to announce they will step down
- M&S breaks with tradition to get more agile on style Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 11:59 GMT
Shoppers usually blame dowdy clothes and tired stores for the painful decline of Britain's former retail powerhouse Marks & Spencer (Other OTC: MAKSF - news) . After hiring new designers, overhauling its online offering and giving a facelift to stores, M&S still needs to push home its most ambitious project: overturning …
- Better-off Britons drive record profit at Greggs Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 11:45 GMT
Britons have stopped scrimping and are treating themselves to pasties, sausage rolls and sticky buns, helping food-on-the-go retailer Greggs (LSE: GRG.L - news) make record profits. "Consumers' disposable incomes are rising and that's a favourable backdrop for the Greggs business," Chief Executive Roger Whiteside said …
- Tesco says former BP executive to join board as non-exec Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 10:31 GMT
Tesco (Xetra: 852647 - news) , Britain's biggest retailer, has beefed-up its board with the appointment of Byron Grote, a former BP chief finance officer, as a non-executive director from May 1. The firm also said on Wednesday that non-executive director Gareth Bullock would retire from the main board on March 5 but remain …
- Tesco board member steps down Sharecast - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 10:31 GMT
Tesco's Gareth Bullock will retire from the main board of the embattled grocer effective 5 March.
- Why I’d Rather Buy WM Morrison Supermarkets PLC Instead Of Greggs plc Fool.co.uk - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 09:19 GMT
Despite upbeat results from Greggs plc (LON: GRG), I'd rather own shares in WM Morrison Supermarkets PLC (LON: MRW).
- Greggs posts jump in profits and resumes buybacks Telegraph - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 07:42 GMT
The bakery chain said sales and profits rose as its turnaround strategy of focusing on "food-on-the-go" bears fruit
- British baker Greggs reports 41 pct jump in annual profit Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Mar 4, 2015 07:14 GMT
British baker Greggs posted a 41 percent jump in annual profit on Wednesday, helped by improved products, service and shops as well as a favourable trading environment. The company, which sells sausage ...
- MEDIA-Sports Direct founder Mike Ashley refuses to appear before MPs -Guardian Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, Mar 3, 2015 21:11 GMT
-- Source link: -- Note: Reuters has not verified this story and does not vouch for its accuracy
- McColl’s shares slump as supermarkets step up competition Telegraph - Tue, Mar 3, 2015 17:20 GMT
Shares in convenience store chain fall on back of decline in sales, but boss James Lancaster says market is 'full of opportunities'
- Britain's Sainsbury's joins click-and-collect shopping revolution Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, Mar 3, 2015 17:17 GMT
Sainsbury's will offer online shoppers the option of picking up orders in store, years after the service was introduced by rivals Tesco (Xetra: 852647 - news) and Asda, upping the stakes in Britain's brutally competitive grocery market. Online shopping, as one of the better-performing parts of the market, has become a …