- Europe's mergers and acquisitions market heats up AFP - 10 hours ago
- Mid-cap share tip of the week: CSR Telegraph - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 09:57 BST
Each week we look at a promising mid-cap share. This week: CSR, a tech firm which makes Bluetooth and Wi-Fi chips
- Wall Street Week Ahead: Spring fever brings hope for U.S. earnings Reuters - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 00:20 BST
Several behemoths, including Apple, the largest U.S. company by market value, as well as Microsoft, McDonald's (MCD.N) and AT&T (NYS:T), are due to report earnings. They'll be accompanied by highfliers like Netflix and Facebook, giving the first real cross-section of the state of corporate America as temperatures rise …
- IBM's quarterly revenue sinks to 5-year low as hardware sales fall Reuters - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 22:16 BST
Hardware revenue, which includes servers and systems storage, plunged 23 percent to $2.4 billion, as sales in growth markets declined 11 percent, led by Asia-Pacific, where reported revenue declined 12 percent. In January, the company agreed to sell its low-end server business to Chinese PC maker Lenovo Group Ltd for $2.3 …
- Market overview: ARM Holdings and Schroders lead gains Sharecast - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 19:06 BST
1630: Close UK stocks ended the day moderately in the blue, led by gains in ARM Holdings and Schroders. Barclays outperformed on investors' anticipation of a strategy update, including plans for the lender's ...
- Google still a top pick for Wall Street, despite mobile ad challenges Reuters - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 16:55 BST
Google shares were down about 3 percent in early trading on Thursday, and at least 12 brokerages cut their target price on the stock. "Despite an expectations-miss quarter, Google remains one of the best-positioned stocks for many of the secular growth drivers in the Internet space," RBC Capital analyst Mark Mahaney, who …
- FTSE 100 movers: Barclays leads banks higher on shake-up speculation Sharecast - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 15:55 BST
The share price of Barclays rose strongly on Thursday amid speculation the bank could announce thousands of further job cuts in its investment banking division as part of a corporate shake-up.
- Germany's SAP braced for continued currency crunch Reuters - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 14:49 BST
German business software maker SAP warned on Thursday that it expects the negative impact of the strong euro to worsen after reporting lower than expected first-quarter results. The warning comes as SAP grapples with a short-term squeeze from its shift to web-based cloud computing, prompting it to push back its profit …
- Are We Heading For Another Technology Stock Crash? Fool.co.uk - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 13:50 BST
Technology stocks are falling. Choose your targets wisely, says Harvey Jones.
- London open: Diageo leads stocks lower ahead of Easter weekend Sharecast - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 09:56 BST
Ukraine crisis in focus as leaders meet in Geneva; US data, corporate earnings closely watched; Diageo drops as weak Q3 dampens growth.
- Sony's PlayStation 4 sales top seven million AFP - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 05:09 BST
- London midday: Markets flat as Ukraine crisis dampens risk appetite Sharecast - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 01:23 BST
Ukraine turmoil continues as clashes turn deadly; Investors cautious ahead of four-day weekend; US corporate earnings in focus; Diageo, Remy Cointreau dampen sentiment in beverage sector.
- Google first-quarter revenue misses Wall Street targets Reuters - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 23:14 BST
Google Inc's first-quarter revenue fell short of Wall Street targets and margins narrowed as the price of its ads continued to decline, pushing its shares sharply lower. Shares of Google were down 5.7 percent at $525 in after-hours trading on Wednesday. The number of "paid clicks" by consumers on Google's ads increased …
- American Funds urges password change to counter 'Heartbleed' bug Reuters - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 20:39 BST
American Funds, the No. 3 U.S. mutual fund family, advised some customers to change user names and passwords on Wednesday as the number of companies and people affected by the notorious "Heartbleed" bug grows. American Funds also advised customers who logged into Americanfunds.com from December 12, 2013 to April 14 to …
- Mexican mobile phone operator sues IBM for $2.5 billion Reuters - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 19:39 BST
Mexican mobile phone operator Iusacell SA de CV sued IBM Corp on Wednesday, accusing the U.S. technology giant of making fraudulent representations that caused it to lose $2.5 billion in profits. The lawsuit, filed in federal district court in New York, centered on a contract that Iusacell said IBM induced it to enter …
- IQE receives first one million dollar order for InSb substrates Sharecast - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 15:12 BST
Maker of semiconductor wafers IQE has received its first one million dollar purchase order agreement to deliver volume quantities of its InSb substrates to an industry leader and long-term customer.
- Neil Woodford’s High Income Fund Farewell: Wm. Morrison Supermarkets plc, Rentokil Initial plc And Sanofi SA Fool.co.uk - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 10:36 BST
Woodford's mega-million moves on Wm. Morrison Supermarkets plc (LON:MRW), Rentokil Initial plc (LON:RTO) and Sanofi SA (NYSE:SNY).
- Wednesday broker round-up Sharecast - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 10:16 BST
Alexander Mining: Northland lowers target price from 8.1p to 6.1 and maintains a buy recommendation.
- London open: Stocks bounce off three-week low as Tesco gains Sharecast - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 10:15 BST
Tesco, Hargreaves, Burberry and Persimmon rise after updates; Momentum shares bounce back after recent falls; Chinese data mixed, growth slows; Global economic data in focus today.
- Xaar confirms sales and profits returning to normal levels Sharecast - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 10:10 BST
Industrial printing group Xaar confirmed first-quarter sales and profits had fallen to their normal seasonal level compared to the abnormally high level last year.
- London midday: Sports Direct, Burberry and Tesco lead markets higher Sharecast - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 01:12 BST
Sports Direct gains as momentum stocks recovery; Tesco, Burberry and Persimmon impress with results; UK unemployment declines, China data mixed; Ukraine crisis escalates
- Keep Steve Jobs' personality out of trial: tech companies Reuters - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 22:48 BST
Witnesses at an upcoming trial over no-hire agreements in Silicon Valley should not be allowed to offer evidence that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was "a bully," four major tech companies argued in a court filing. Tech workers filed a class action lawsuit against Apple Inc, Google Inc, Intel Inc and Adobe Systems Inc in …
- London close: FTSE down as Russian units spotted in Ukraine Sharecast - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 18:11 BST
FTSE closes down 42.15 points at 6,541.61; Ukraine says Russian forces have entered the country; UK inflation falls to 1.6 per cent in March; German investor confidence falls for 4th month
- FTSE 250 movers: Debenhams rises after maintaining divi Sharecast - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 16:15 BST
High Street department store Debenhams rose after maintaining its interim dividend at 1p per share despite profits falling by a quarter in the first half. The profit decline, however, was in line with ...
- Results Round-up Sharecast - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 15:05 BST
DDD Group, an AIM-listed 3D solutions company, on Tuesday posted a 61 per cent slump in annual revenues, pushing the group into the red.
- London open: Stocks fall after China data and mixed corporate news Sharecast - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 11:40 BST
Chinese new credit falls in March, money supply slows down; Corporate earnings/updates receive mixed reaction; Economic data in focus later on.
- Micro Focus to separate roles of Chairman and CEO Sharecast - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 09:33 BST
Software group Micro Focus has announced that it will separate the roles of Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) over the next two years.
- Vevo widens ties with Yahoo over its music videos Reuters - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 03:46 BST
The deal brings Vevo's music videos, live concert events and other original music programming to Yahoo's video channel, Yahoo Screen, in the United States and Canada. In coming weeks, the partnership will extend to Britain, Germany, Spain, France and Italy as well as the Yahoo Screen mobile app, the statement said.
- London midday: Stocks edge lower as investors digest data, earnings Sharecast - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 01:11 BST
Chinese, UK and German data disappoints; UK corporate updates come in mixed; US data, earnings in focus this afternoon.
- 'Heartbleed' blamed in attack on Canada tax agency, more expected Reuters - Mon, Apr 14, 2014 23:31 BST
BOSTON/OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada's tax-collection agency said on Monday that the private information of about 900 people had been compromised as hackers exploited the "Heartbleed" bug, and security experts warned that more attacks will likely follow. The breach allowed hackers to extract social insurance numbers, which …
- Google to buy drone-maker Titan Aerospace Reuters - Mon, Apr 14, 2014 22:15 BST
Titan Chief Executive Vern Raburn declined to provide information on the price of the deal, which he said closed on Monday morning. The 20-person company will remain in New Mexico for the foreseeable future, Raburn said, with all employees joining Google. The deal could further Google's efforts to deliver Internet access …
- London close: Stocks rise despite tensions in Ukraine Sharecast - Mon, Apr 14, 2014 18:22 BST
FTSE closes down 22.06 at 6,583.76; Tensions in Eastern Europe provide drag; BP a notable faller; US retail sales beat expectations
- Cyclical shares hold back European bourses on Ukraine fears Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Apr 14, 2014 15:35 BST
Cyclical shares weighed on European bourses on Monday as tensions in Ukraine and volatile global markets prompted investors to take a more cautious stance on growth and cash in on some of the best performers ...
- European shares at 3-week low on worries over Ukraine Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Apr 14, 2014 11:57 BST
European shares extended losses on Monday, with a major index slipping to its lowest level in three weeks, as fresh tension in Ukraine prompted investors to shun cyclical sectors such as travel, autos ...
- Ex-divs to take 3.2 points off FTSE 100 on April 16 Reuters - UK Focus - Mon, Apr 14, 2014 11:33 BST
The following FTSE 100 companies will go ex-dividend on Wednesday, after which investors will no longer qualify for the latest dividend payout. According to Reuters calculations at current market prices, ...