- London close: FTSE ends slightly lower ahead of US earnings Sharecast - 59 minutes ago
FTSE closes down 7.02 points at 6,674.74; Focus turns to Apple and Facebook earnings; UK public sector net borrowing falls
- Weaker FTSE 100 gets support from ABF and AstraZeneca Reuters - UK Focus - 1 hour 43 minutes ago
U.S. expansion plans for Associated British Foods and expectations of consolidation in the drugs sector kept Britain's top share index near a two-week high on Wednesday. Clothing and food conglomerate ...
- FTSE 250 movers: Drax sinks after power station setback Sharecast - 2 hours 4 minutes ago
Shares in renewable energy provider Drax lost more than 13 per cent of their value on Wednesday, hit by the group's announcement that one of its power station units was no longer deemed eligible by the ...
- Centrica PLC Earnings Are Stagnating Fool.co.uk - 2 hours 40 minutes ago
Forecasts look glum for Centrica PLC (LON: CNA).
- London open: Stocks edge higher, AB Foods jumps on Primark expansion Sharecast - 6 hours ago
AB Foods jumps on Primark expansion plans; Stocks rise, but upside limited; BoE minutes, economic data ahead; Chinese manufacturing PMI contracts again.
- Centrica sells storage capacity at 14 pct discount to last year Reuters - UK Focus - 7 hours ago
British utility Centrica (Frankfurt: CENB.F - news) sold year-ahead storage capacity at its huge Rough offshore gas storage site at a price that was 14 percent lower than the previous year, as the gas storage business is continues to decline. Profits from offering gas storage capacity have dropped across Europe as the …
- Drax sues Britain over U-turn on converting coal unit Reuters - UK Focus - 8 hours ago
* Shares in Drax fall 14 pct * Drax to continue with conversion regardless of outcome * Dong Energy biggest winner of subsidy contracts (Adds further Drax reaction, Dong Energy contracts, lobby group comment, background) LONDON, April 23 (Reuters) - British electricity producer Drax said it had started legal proceedings …
- Business news and markets: as it happened, Wednesday April 23, 2014 Telegraph - 9 hours ago
Greece made a bailout-adjusted surplus of €1.5bn, equivalent to 0.8pc of GDP, according to the European Commission
- Wednesday preview: Chinese and Eurozone manufacturing data due out Sharecast - 10 hours ago
Barring unexpected events, the upcoming trading session may well turn out to be the most interesting this week, as investors focus on a raft of important economic data which are set for release, alongside ...
- Egypt to pay some $1 bln owed oil firms within two months - minister Reuters - UK Focus - 10 hours ago
Egypt will pay about $1 billion of the money it owes to foreign oil companies within the next two months, the state's MENA news agency said, quoting Oil Minister Sherif Ismail. Egypt says it owes some $6.3 billion to those companies. The country has previously said it would repay a further $3 billion in monthly installments …
- London midday: Stocks inch lower on mixed data and earnings Sharecast - 17 hours ago
AB Foods jumps, ARM and Sports Direct fall; UK borrowing falls more than expected; Chinese manufacturing still in contraction; Eurozone business activity improves.
- nel applies to explore for oil and gas in Greece -ministry Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, Apr 22, 2014 15:52 BST
Italy's Enel (Milan: ENEL.MI - news) has sought permission to explore for oil and gas in Greece, the Greek government said on Tuesday. Enel has expressed interest in three onshore areas in the western part of the country, Greece's energy ministry said, adding it would duly decide on the Italian company's application. …
- Build A Quality Dividend Portfolio In 5 Minutes Fool.co.uk - Tue, Apr 22, 2014 14:46 BST
An excellent chance of beating cash and the market.
- Ex-divs to take 8.69 points off FTSE 100 on April 23 Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, Apr 22, 2014 14:02 BST
The following FTSE 100 companies will go ex-dividend on Wednesday, after which investors will no longer qualify for the latest dividend payout. According to Reuters calculations at current market prices, ...
- It’s time to go on the defensive to safeguard those bull market winnings Telegraph - Mon, Apr 21, 2014 18:38 BST
As stock markets around the world wobble, we investigate the safest shares for gains and income
- French energy giants fuel UK double Telegraph - Sun, Apr 20, 2014 19:22 BST
EDF is already the biggest electricity producer in Britain and next year Total will become the leading oil and gas producer in the UK sector of the North Sea
- Rail franchise turmoil looms Telegraph - Sat, Apr 19, 2014 18:32 BST
With seven major rail franchises due to be awarded this year, the first since the West Coast Main Line crisis of 2012, will the Government avoid another fiasco?
- Oil, gas firms committed to Russia despite sanctions -minister Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Apr 18, 2014 10:47 BST
* Energy minister says South Stream gas project is under way * Says international oil and gas majors stick to business in Russia (Releads, adds detail, quotes) MOSCOW, April 18 (Reuters) - Russian and international oil and gas majors are cooperating as usual despite sanctions imposed over Ukraine and Russia's South Stream …
- Energy companies ‘in line for £245m windfall’ from green levies deal Telegraph - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 20:50 BST
Companies will enjoy a cost saving of £10 per household that they have not passed on to consumers, the Association for the Conservation of Energy claims
- EU watchdog chief sees no clearing requirement for forex Reuters - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 15:15 BST
Foreign exchange dealers won't face the added cost of having to clear some currency trades if the European Union decides they must come under new EU rules to make derivatives markets safer, a top regulator said. The bloc's executive European Commission is deciding whether part of the $5.3 trillion (3.15 trillion pounds) …
- EM ASIA FX-Taiwan dollar, baht, rupiah rise Reuters - Thu, Apr 17, 2014 02:49 BST
April 17 (Reuters) - The following table shows rates for Asian currencies against the dollar at 0140 GMT. CURRENCIES VS U.S. DOLLAR Change on the day at 0140 GMT Currency Latest bid Previous day Pct Move ...
- Shares rally on China growth relief; dollar slips Reuters - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 21:49 BST
Global equity markets advanced broadly on Wednesday after China reported growth that beat expectations, providing relief to investors worried about the Chinese economy, while the dollar eased on the growing view the Federal Reserve will keep interest rates lower than normal for a few years. Fed Chair Janet Yellen told …
- EDF opens gas plant and wind farm in Britain Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 16:33 BST
EDF said it had opened its West Burton combined cycle gas turbine power station and its Teesside offshore wind farm in Britain on Wednesday. The West Burton gas plant in Nottinghamshire has a capacity ...
- Neil Woodford’s High Income Fund Farewell: Wm. Morrison Supermarkets plc, Rentokil Initial plc And Sanofi SA Fool.co.uk - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 10:36 BST
Woodford's mega-million moves on Wm. Morrison Supermarkets plc (LON:MRW), Rentokil Initial plc (LON:RTO) and Sanofi SA (NYSE:SNY).
- Global shares up on China relief, Ukraine strains remain Reuters - Wed, Apr 16, 2014 09:04 BST
Share markets made broad gains on Wednesday after China reported economic growth a touch above forecasts, a relief for investors who had feared a much weaker outcome. China's economy grew 7.4 percent in the first quarter, from a year earlier, pipping forecasts of 7.3 percent. The relief rippled through Asian markets, …
- London close: FTSE down as Russian units spotted in Ukraine Sharecast - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 18:11 BST
FTSE closes down 42.15 points at 6,541.61; Ukraine says Russian forces have entered the country; UK inflation falls to 1.6 per cent in March; German investor confidence falls for 4th month
- Faulty energy meters: 16,000 households may have been overcharged, SSE admits Telegraph - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 16:26 BST
Energy supplier SSE says that 16,000 of its customers may be in line for refunds after overpaying due to faulty meters
- UK well placed to deal with potential Russian gas export cut Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 16:11 BST
* Supply risks for UK are from Norway, global LNG market * Britain's gas production falling by 4.5 pct a year LONDON, April 15 (Reuters) - Britain is well placed to deal with the possibility of a Russian cutoff of gas to Europe during the Ukraine crisis, because it receives most of its imports from Norway and has significant …
- Like Laidlaw, Should Investors Jump Centrica PLC's Ship? Fool.co.uk - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 14:21 BST
Centrica PLC (LON: CNA) shares are being battered in a political rumble, but problems run deeper still.
- London open: Stocks fall after China data and mixed corporate news Sharecast - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 11:40 BST
Chinese new credit falls in March, money supply slows down; Corporate earnings/updates receive mixed reaction; Economic data in focus later on.
- Yes Bank shares fall; JPMorgan cuts to 'underweight' Reuters - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 07:54 BST
Reuters Market Eye - Shares in Yes Bank Ltd fall as much as 6.7 percent after J.P.Morgan downgraded the stock to "underweight" from "overweight," saying absolute valuations "aren't ...
- London midday: Stocks edge lower as investors digest data, earnings Sharecast - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 01:11 BST
Chinese, UK and German data disappoints; UK corporate updates come in mixed; US data, earnings in focus this afternoon.
- 5% From The FTSE vs 0.62% On Cash Is A No-Brainer Fool.co.uk - Mon, Apr 14, 2014 07:36 BST
Between cash and shares, there is only one winner.
- Market report: Hargreaves hit by fee fears Telegraph - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 20:33 BST
Hargreaves Lansdown was the second-heaviest FTSE 100 faller on a rough day for the index
- Centrica searches for Sam Laidlaw's successor Telegraph - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 18:40 BST
Energy giant's chief expected to step down by the end of the year as company faces unprecedented political pressure