- EM ASIA FX-Taiwan dollar, baht, rupiah rise Reuters - 2 hours 39 minutes ago
April 17 (Reuters) - The following table shows rates for Asian currencies against the dollar at 0140 GMT. CURRENCIES VS U.S. DOLLAR Change on the day at 0140 GMT Currency Latest bid Previous day Pct Move ...
- Shares rally on China growth relief; dollar slips Reuters - 7 hours ago
Global equity markets advanced broadly on Wednesday after China reported growth that beat expectations, providing relief to investors worried about the Chinese economy, while the dollar eased on the growing view the Federal Reserve will keep interest rates lower than normal for a few years. Fed Chair Janet Yellen told …
- EDF opens gas plant and wind farm in Britain Reuters - UK Focus - 12 hours ago
EDF said it had opened its West Burton combined cycle gas turbine power station and its Teesside offshore wind farm in Britain on Wednesday. The West Burton gas plant in Nottinghamshire has a capacity ...
- Neil Woodford’s High Income Fund Farewell: Wm. Morrison Supermarkets plc, Rentokil Initial plc And Sanofi SA Fool.co.uk - 18 hours ago
Woodford's mega-million moves on Wm. Morrison Supermarkets plc (LON:MRW), Rentokil Initial plc (LON:RTO) and Sanofi SA (NYSE:SNY).
- Global shares up on China relief, Ukraine strains remain Reuters - 20 hours ago
Share markets made broad gains on Wednesday after China reported economic growth a touch above forecasts, a relief for investors who had feared a much weaker outcome. China's economy grew 7.4 percent in the first quarter, from a year earlier, pipping forecasts of 7.3 percent. The relief rippled through Asian markets, …
- London close: FTSE down as Russian units spotted in Ukraine Sharecast - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 18:11 BST
FTSE closes down 42.15 points at 6,541.61; Ukraine says Russian forces have entered the country; UK inflation falls to 1.6 per cent in March; German investor confidence falls for 4th month
- Faulty energy meters: 16,000 households may have been overcharged, SSE admits Telegraph - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 16:26 BST
Energy supplier SSE says that 16,000 of its customers may be in line for refunds after overpaying due to faulty meters
- UK well placed to deal with potential Russian gas export cut Reuters - UK Focus - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 16:11 BST
* Supply risks for UK are from Norway, global LNG market * Britain's gas production falling by 4.5 pct a year LONDON, April 15 (Reuters) - Britain is well placed to deal with the possibility of a Russian cutoff of gas to Europe during the Ukraine crisis, because it receives most of its imports from Norway and has significant …
- Like Laidlaw, Should Investors Jump Centrica PLC's Ship? Fool.co.uk - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 14:21 BST
Centrica PLC (LON: CNA) shares are being battered in a political rumble, but problems run deeper still.
- London open: Stocks fall after China data and mixed corporate news Sharecast - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 11:40 BST
Chinese new credit falls in March, money supply slows down; Corporate earnings/updates receive mixed reaction; Economic data in focus later on.
- Yes Bank shares fall; JPMorgan cuts to 'underweight' Reuters - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 07:54 BST
Reuters Market Eye - Shares in Yes Bank Ltd fall as much as 6.7 percent after J.P.Morgan downgraded the stock to "underweight" from "overweight," saying absolute valuations "aren't ...
- London midday: Stocks edge lower as investors digest data, earnings Sharecast - Tue, Apr 15, 2014 01:11 BST
Chinese, UK and German data disappoints; UK corporate updates come in mixed; US data, earnings in focus this afternoon.
- 5% From The FTSE vs 0.62% On Cash Is A No-Brainer Fool.co.uk - Mon, Apr 14, 2014 07:36 BST
Between cash and shares, there is only one winner.
- Market report: Hargreaves hit by fee fears Telegraph - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 20:33 BST
Hargreaves Lansdown was the second-heaviest FTSE 100 faller on a rough day for the index
- Centrica searches for Sam Laidlaw's successor Telegraph - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 18:40 BST
Energy giant's chief expected to step down by the end of the year as company faces unprecedented political pressure
- London close: FTSE ends week on sour note as stocks plunge Sharecast - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 18:15 BST
FTSE ends 80.27 higher at 6,561.70; Poor weather hits Feb UK construction; Osborne says economic recovery vindicates his approach; MPs to move ahead with proposals for all-female short-lists
- FTSE 100 movers: Fresnillo escapes the storm after JP Morgan hikes target Sharecast - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 16:37 BST
JPMorgan Cazenove has lifted its price target for Fresnillo from 965p to 1,030p and kept an 'overweight' rating, saying it continues to favour the Mexican precious metals producer over sector peer Hochschild ...
- Is Centrica PLC Due A Change At The Top? Fool.co.uk - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 13:50 BST
Centrica PLC (LON:CNA) CEO Sam Laidlaw has had a good run, but hard decisions may be on the horizon.
- London open: Tech stocks drag UK markets lower after Nasdaq sell-off Sharecast - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 10:11 BST
US, Asian weakness flows into UK stocks; Tech, internet stocks hit hard in early trading; Supermarkets edge higher early on.
- Statoil says makes another North Sea oil find Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 08:55 BST
Norwegian oil major Statoil has made a gas and oil discovery near the Valemon field in the northern part of the North Sea, the second sizeable discovery off Norway in two days, the company said in a statement ...
- Statoil makes oil and gas discovery in the North Sea Reuters - UK Focus - Fri, Apr 11, 2014 08:04 BST
Norwegian oil major Statoil has made a gas and oil discovery near the Valemon field in the northern part of the North Sea, the company said in a statement on Friday. "Statoil estimates the total volumes ...
- Nuclear industry says weak carbon price justifies state funding Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, Apr 10, 2014 18:47 BST
* Commission seeking to phase-out energy subsidies * Nuclear industry says atomic power secure and sustainable BRUSSELS, April 10 (Reuters) - FORATOM, which represents Europe's nuclear industry, said new atomic power generation will need financial support as long as carbon prices are low and hit back at EU regulators' …
- London close: FTSE loses steam after earlier gains Sharecast - Thu, Apr 10, 2014 18:10 BST
FTSE closes up 6.36 points at 6,641.97; Data positive for housing in UK; BoE keeps monetary policy unchanged
- ENI joins Serica Energy on UK gas block Sharecast - Thu, Apr 10, 2014 18:03 BST
Global oil & gas explorer Serica Energy said Italian oil major ENI had joined it as an operator on a UK gas project as it unveiled lower losses.
- FTSE 100 movers: M&S leads the way lower Sharecast - Thu, Apr 10, 2014 17:00 BST
With UK sales remaining stubbornly flat, Marks and Spencer stitched together a more encouraging fourth-quarter result, but was nonetheless sat firmly in the bottom spot on the FTSE today. The group said ...
- London open: Stocks rise strongly after Fed minutes Sharecast - Thu, Apr 10, 2014 10:10 BST
FOMC minutes reveal dovish stance; BoE, economic data in focus today; M&S, Hays and 888 gain after trading updates; RBS pays to cancel dividend access share.
- Centrica's British Gas ordered to pay $9.4 million by regulator Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, Apr 10, 2014 09:21 BST
Centrica (LSE: CNA.L - news) 's British Gas, the subject of an anti-trust investigation alongside Britain's other big utilities, will pay about 5.6 million pounds ($9.4 million) to remedy past errors which had blocked business customers from switching suppliers. The country's big six suppliers - SSE (LSE: SSE.L - news) …
- Play The Percentages With National Grid plc Fool.co.uk - Thu, Apr 10, 2014 09:17 BST
How reliable are earnings forecasts for National Grid plc (LON:NG) -- and is the stock attractively priced right now?
- British Gas fined £5.6m for blocking businesses from switching Telegraph - Thu, Apr 10, 2014 09:04 BST
Ofgem says energy supplier made errors in preventing businesses from finding new suppliers and failed to notify them that tariffs were ending
- British Gas fined 5.6m pounds for switching errors Sharecast - Thu, Apr 10, 2014 08:33 BST
The UK energy regulator has fined the business arm of Centrica 5.6m pounds for errors in its switching and renewal processes.
- City Diary: Amazon adventure costs put Maria Miller’s expenses in perspective Telegraph - Thu, Apr 10, 2014 08:00 BST
Maria Miller's £45,000 expenses claim is small change compared to the $18.2bn fine imposed on Texaco while she was a marketing director at the oil giant.
- Wintershall discovery off Norway smaller than thought Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, Apr 10, 2014 07:57 BST
A gas and condensate discovery by Germany's Wintershall in the Norwegian Sea is smaller than earlier thought and it is actually two different discoveries, the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate said on Thursday. ...
- Centrica's British Gas pays out for switching errors Reuters - UK Focus - Thu, Apr 10, 2014 07:31 BST
Centrica plc - british gas business makes payments of £5.6m following errors in its switching and renewal processes Centrica plc - ofgem found british gas business incorrectly blocked businesses from switching...
- London midday: Stocks erase early gains, BoE holds rates Sharecast - Thu, Apr 10, 2014 01:16 BST
BoE holds rates, US jobless claims ahead; FOMC minutes reveal dovish stance; M&S erases gains after trading update; RBS pays to cancel dividend access share.
- New EU rules on energy funding phase out subsidies for renewables Reuters - UK Focus - Wed, Apr 9, 2014 14:44 BST
Funding green energy will become harder under EU rules published on Wednesday designed to replace subsidies with market-based schemes, just when the Ukraine crisis has heightened the need for alternatives to imported fossil fuel. The executive European Commission said the guidelines, which will be gradually phased in, …