UK Markets closed
  • NIKKEI 225

    23,567.04
    -104.09 (-0.44%)
     
  • HANG SENG

    24,569.54
    +27.28 (+0.11%)
     
  • CRUDE OIL

    41.67
    +0.84 (+2.06%)
     
  • GOLD FUTURES

    1,917.60
    +5.90 (+0.31%)
     
  • DOW

    28,492.63
    +297.21 (+1.05%)
     
  • BTC-GBP

    9,224.86
    +685.07 (+8.02%)
     
  • CMC Crypto 200

    239.70
    +0.78 (+0.33%)
     
  • Nasdaq

    11,600.58
    +121.70 (+1.06%)
     
  • ^FTAS

    3,315.73
    +3.96 (+0.12%)
     

'Strictly Come Dancing' contestant HRVY says he's 'free from COVID'

Amy Johnson
·2-min read
British singer Hrvy poses on the red carpet on arrival for the BRIT Awards 2020 in London on February 18, 2020. (Photo by TOLGA AKMEN/AFP via Getty Images)
British singer Hrvy poses on the red carpet on arrival for the BRIT Awards 2020 in London on February 18, 2020. (Photo by TOLGA AKMEN/AFP via Getty Images)

Strictly Come Dancing contestant HRVY has said he is now "free from COVID".

The YouTube star has been isolating after testing positive for the coronavirus. He said he wasn't presenting any symptoms when announcing the news last week.

Writing on Twitter on Thursday, he said: “He’s free from Covid, he’s a free elf now ... thank you for all the kind messages, I tested negative today so I’m back, love you guys and see you all soon.”

Read more: Strictly tour delayed until 2022

The singer, real name Harvey Cantwell, accompanied the text with several photos of himself standing outside in the rain.

The Strictly stars are being routinely tested to ensure the upcoming 2020 series of the popular programme can take place.

Due to the negative test, HRVY will be able to take part in the launch show which is set to air on 17 October. It will see the stars matched up with their professional partners.

Also competing in this year's series is actor Caroline Quentin, boxer Nicola Adams and reality star Jamie Laing.

Listen: Craig Revel Horwood reveals how his sugar daddy helped him find success

Show bosses have said any contestant who does test positive during the course of the show will have to be disqualified from the competition.

Read more: Dawn French reveals why she snubs Strictly

Executive producer Sarah James told press at a recent Q&A: "It's obviously been a really challenging time for myself and the team to come up with a plan of how we can bring the show this year, under all of the current restrictions.

"Unfortunately, if you receive a positive test, that means you wouldn't be able to continue in the competition. According to guidelines, you would have to isolate for two weeks and that would rule you out."

Watch: Why Claudia Winkleman can’t be told the Strictly line-up