Advertisement
UK markets closed
  • FTSE 100

    8,252.91
    +29.57 (+0.36%)
     
  • FTSE 250

    21,202.89
    +13.98 (+0.07%)
     
  • AIM

    786.17
    +4.64 (+0.59%)
     
  • GBP/EUR

    1.1909
    +0.0030 (+0.26%)
     
  • GBP/USD

    1.2989
    +0.0075 (+0.58%)
     
  • Bitcoin GBP

    45,024.40
    +478.33 (+1.07%)
     
  • CMC Crypto 200

    1,215.36
    +16.79 (+1.40%)
     
  • S&P 500

    5,649.49
    +64.95 (+1.16%)
     
  • DOW

    40,167.51
    +413.76 (+1.04%)
     
  • CRUDE OIL

    82.17
    -0.45 (-0.54%)
     
  • GOLD FUTURES

    2,420.10
    -1.80 (-0.07%)
     
  • NIKKEI 225

    41,190.68
    -1,033.34 (-2.45%)
     
  • HANG SENG

    18,293.38
    +461.05 (+2.59%)
     
  • DAX

    18,748.18
    +213.62 (+1.15%)
     
  • CAC 40

    7,724.32
    +97.19 (+1.27%)
     

TikToker Mizzy jailed as judge gives verdict on his pranks: ‘they’re not funny’

Mizzy, whose real name is Bacari-Bronze O'Garro, outside Stratford Magistrates' Court in east London for sentencing
Mizzy, whose real name is Bacari-Bronze O'Garro, outside Stratford Magistrates' Court in east London for sentencing - Daily Mirror

TikToker Mizzy has been told his pranks “are not funny” by a judge as he was jailed for the first time.

The social media star, whose real name is Bacari-Bronze O’Garro, was found guilty of two counts of breaching a court order prohibiting him from sharing videos of people without their consent at his trial last month.

In one of the offending videos, passersby were visible in the background as Mizzy said to the camera: “The UK law is a joke.”

At Stratford Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, Judge Matthew Bone sentenced him to 18 weeks detention in a young offender institution and told him: “Put bluntly, your pranks are not funny.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Wearing a black jacket and black trousers, O’Garro did not react as his sentence was read out.

After his trial last month, the father of one was banned from using social media after he was found to have “deliberately flouted” a court order prohibiting him from sharing videos of people without their consent “within hours” of it being passed.

He was found not guilty on two further counts of the same charge, having denied all four charges.

During sentencing, Judge Bone said O’Garro’s actions had been motivated by a desire to “receive money and designer clothes from sponsors”.

“Your further offending was motivated by your desire to be famous. Your actions caused innocent members of the public significant harm and distress.

“You claimed on national television the law was weak. Put bluntly, your pranks are not funny.”

O’Garro’s trial heard how he began sharing videos of people without their consent on the same day the criminal behaviour order was passed on May 24 this year.

It was shown footage, shared on O’Garro’s Twitter account on the night of May 24, featuring him in Westfield shopping centre, Stratford, after he appeared on Piers Morgan’s TalkTV show and mocked the British judicial system.

In the video, passersby were visible in the background as Mizzy, from Hackney, said to the camera: “The UK law is a joke.

Other videos shared on O’Garro’s Snapchat account, which were also in breach, showed him grabbing hold of a schoolboy by his uniform and another showed him fighting a man with dwarfism, which O’Garro claimed were hoax videos made with their prior agreement.

O’Garro’s claim that one of his friends, who had access to his login details, posted the Twitter videos without his consent, was dismissed by Judge Bone as “inconceivable”.

In mitigation, Paul Lennon, O’Garro’s lawyer, said he was a “young man” and had shown a “lack of maturity”.

O’Garro is completing a creative media production course at a sixth form college, and started a job as a waiter in a restaurant earlier this week, Mr Lennon said.

“He is very academic and is predicted to achieve a distinction,” he added. “He is making attempts to better himself.”

Two-year social media ban

The judge handed the prankster an 18-week sentence for one of the offences, and 14 weeks for the other, but ruled they should run concurrently.

The judge also “strengthened” the star’s social media ban, ruling that he could not share any videos, act with others to share videos or contribute to other people’s social media accounts for two years.

He was ordered not to trespass on private property, or enter the E12 area of London. O’Garro was also ordered to pay a £154 surcharge.

Speaking after the hearing, DCI Yasmin Lalani, of the Met Police, said: “I just think it is appropriate when you have disregard for the law. I think it is a fitting sentence and I hope that he gets some help.

“I think it is a loud and clear message that nobody is above the law and that you have got to be held accountable.

“I think the right result has come through, more for the public as well, because I think the community were upset with the lack of respect for the law of the country and the distress and harassment he was causing, it was a blatant disregard for the harassment and distress for the community.”

Broaden your horizons with award-winning British journalism. Try The Telegraph free for 1 month, then enjoy 1 year for just $9 with our US-exclusive offer.