UK Markets open in 3 hrs 28 mins

This Is Why AmeriServ Financial, Inc.'s (NASDAQ:ASRV) CEO Compensation Looks Appropriate

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·3-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

CEO Jeff Stopko has done a decent job of delivering relatively good performance at AmeriServ Financial, Inc. (NASDAQ:ASRV) recently. This is something shareholders will keep in mind as they cast their votes on company resolutions such as executive remuneration in the upcoming AGM on 27 April 2021. Based on our analysis of the data below, we think CEO compensation seems reasonable for now.

View our latest analysis for AmeriServ Financial

How Does Total Compensation For Jeff Stopko Compare With Other Companies In The Industry?

Our data indicates that AmeriServ Financial, Inc. has a market capitalization of US$67m, and total annual CEO compensation was reported as US$579k for the year to December 2020. We note that's a small decrease of 4.3% on last year. We note that the salary portion, which stands at US$353.0k constitutes the majority of total compensation received by the CEO.

In comparison with other companies in the industry with market capitalizations under US$200m, the reported median total CEO compensation was US$572k. From this we gather that Jeff Stopko is paid around the median for CEOs in the industry. What's more, Jeff Stopko holds US$320k worth of shares in the company in their own name.

Component

2020

2019

Proportion (2020)

Salary

US$353k

US$342k

61%

Other

US$226k

US$263k

39%

Total Compensation

US$579k

US$605k

100%

Speaking on an industry level, nearly 42% of total compensation represents salary, while the remainder of 58% is other remuneration. AmeriServ Financial pays out 61% of remuneration in the form of a salary, significantly higher than the industry average. If salary is the major component in total compensation, it suggests that the CEO receives a higher fixed proportion of the total compensation, regardless of performance.

ceo-compensation
ceo-compensation

AmeriServ Financial, Inc.'s Growth

Over the past three years, AmeriServ Financial, Inc. has seen its earnings per share (EPS) grow by 10.0% per year. Its revenue is up 1.7% over the last year.

We would argue that the improvement in revenue is good, but isn't particularly impressive, but it is good to see modest EPS growth. Considering these factors we'd say performance has been pretty decent, though not amazing. Although we don't have analyst forecasts, you might want to assess this data-rich visualization of earnings, revenue and cash flow.

Has AmeriServ Financial, Inc. Been A Good Investment?

AmeriServ Financial, Inc. has generated a total shareholder return of 5.9% over three years, so most shareholders wouldn't be too disappointed. Although, there's always room to improve. As a result, investors in the company might be reluctant about agreeing to increase CEO pay in the future, before seeing an improvement on their returns.

In Summary...

Seeing that the company has put up a decent performance, only a few shareholders, if any at all, might have questions about the CEO pay in the upcoming AGM. However, we still think that any proposed increase in CEO compensation will be examined closely to make sure the compensation is appropriate and linked to performance.

While CEO pay is an important factor to be aware of, there are other areas that investors should be mindful of as well. We've identified 2 warning signs for AmeriServ Financial that investors should be aware of in a dynamic business environment.

Of course, you might find a fantastic investment by looking at a different set of stocks. So take a peek at this free list of interesting companies.

This article by Simply Wall St is general in nature. It does not constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any stock, and does not take account of your objectives, or your financial situation. We aim to bring you long-term focused analysis driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis may not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements or qualitative material. Simply Wall St has no position in any stocks mentioned.

Have feedback on this article? Concerned about the content? Get in touch with us directly. Alternatively, email editorial-team (at) simplywallst.com.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting