New Zealand’s limited-overs tour of Pakistan has been called off owing to security concerns. The tour was scheduled to begin with the first one-day international today at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium.
Earlier, there were speculations about a few New Zealand players testing positive for coronavirus, as their contingent was asked to confine themselves to their room, even 5 minutes before the toss.
However, the official statement issued by the New Zealand Cricket Board stated that the tour has been called following an escalation in the New Zealand Government threat levels for Pakistan. Arrangements have been made by the New Zealand cricket board for their players to return home. There has been no update about whether and when will the canceled tour take place in the future.
The BLACKCAPS are abandoning their tour of Pakistan following a New Zealand government security alert.
Arrangements are now being made for the team’s departure.
More information | https://t.co/Lkgg6mAsfu
— BLACKCAPS (@BLACKCAPS) September 17, 2021
NZC chief executive David White said that the decision was taken by keeping the players’ safety in mind. As mentioned in the statement, White said,
“I understand this will be a blow for the PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option.”
PCB willing to continue the scheduled matches: Pakistan Cricket Board in their statement
Meanwhile, the Pakistan Cricket Board has also stated their side of things. In a statement released by the board, they said that all the officials from New Zealand were happy with the security arrangements for the tour. However, a last-minute pull-out has disappointed the fans.
“Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series,” PCB said in their statement.
The statement also said that the Prime Minister of Pakistan, Imran Khan personally spoke to New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and informed her that no security threat of any kind exists for the vising team.
“PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last-minute withdrawal,” the statement further added.
The post New Zealand Call Off Pakistan Tour Owing To Security Concerns appeared first on Cricfit.