UK Markets open in 3 hrs 12 mins

3 food outlets closed for breaching safe management measures

Staff Writer, Singapore
·Editorial Team
·3-min read
Bumbu at 44 Kandahar Street was found to have a group of 14 diners split across two tables at 8.55pm on 29 January 2021. (PHOTO: Urban Redevelopment Authority)
Bumbu at 44 Kandahar Street was found to have a group of 14 diners split across two tables at 8.55pm on 29 January 2021. (PHOTO: Urban Redevelopment Authority)

SINGAPORE — Three F&B outlets have been ordered to close for breaching safe management measures, while nine outlets and 74 people have been fined, said the Ministry of Sustainability and the Environment (MSE) on Friday (5 February).

Bumbu, at 44 Kandahar Street, was found to have a group of 14 diners split across two tables on 29 January. It was ordered to close from 4 to 13 February.

Darts Buddy at 28 Beatty Road allowed diners to consume alcohol after 10.30pm on 29 January. “The establishment’s main door and shutters were closed and officers had to enter the premises by the rear door,” said MSE in a statement. It was ordered to close from 1 to 10 February.

Drinks Emporium at 83 Club Street allowed diners to consume alcohol at 1.10am on 16 January. It was ordered to close from 3 to 22 February, The establishment had previously been fined $1,000 and was closed from 21 to 30 November for serving alcohol after 10.30pm and providing games for diners.

Meanwhile, nine F&B outlets were each fined $1,000 for seating groups of diners less than 1m apart, and allowing diners to play billiard and pool games within premises, among other things.

The errant outlets are: Chinatown Seafood in Trengganu Street; FYR in Boon Tat Street; GoroGoro Steamboat & Korean Buffet at The Centrepoint; Kok Sen Restaurant in Keong Saik Road; RCS Sports Bistro in Joo Chiat Road; Bao Ding in Mosque Street; Isle at Orchard Towers; Filing Station Nightclub and Café in Orchard Towers; and Chettinadu Restaurant in Chander Road.

A total of 74 people were also fined $300 each for breaching safety measures in parks and beaches on 30 and 31 January by gathering in groups of more than eight and intermingling between groups, among other things.

The National Parks Board is also investigating two groups of more than 20 each who gathered at East Coast Park and Changi Beach Park on 30 January.

Stepped-up enforcement

MSE said government agencies have stepped up enforcement inspections including deploying additional safe distancing ambassadors and enforcement officers.

“Agencies will also be checking the bookings made at F&B outlets and managing crowds in areas such as Chinatown, and will continue to do so during the festive period,” it said.

“Where there are multiple bookings for diners from the same household, F&B operators should verify diners’ claims that they are from the same household, and can reject entry of diners at their discretion,” the ministry added.

In Chinatown, where there have been heavier crowds over the weekends, additional measures will be taken:

  1. The Chinatown Chinese New Year street light-up along South Bridge Road, New Bridge Road and Eu Tong Sen Street will not be turned on from 5 to 7 February and 11 February.

  2. The up-riding escalator at Chinatown MRT Exit A to Pagoda Street will be closed occasionally, depending on street-level crowd situation.

  3. Access control measures at Pagoda Street and Trengganu Street may be implemented during peak hours over the weekends.

  4. Other measures may be implemented for crowd management and visitor safety, depending on the ground situation, including the closure of Temple Street to vehicular traffic.

“Members of the public are encouraged to adapt Chinese New Year celebrations this year in line with tightened measures during the festive period. This will help to protect vulnerable members in our community, such as the elderly,” said MSE.

The ministry also encouraged those who are sick to see a doctor and stay home afterwards.

Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at http://t.me/YahooSingapore

Other Singapore stories:

Permanent resident has status revoked after conviction for COVID-19 offences

Police alerting public to 'Hock Moon Hiong' bak kwa online scam