SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwired - Dec 16, 2014) - An increasingly fragmented media landscape has resulted in a desire to build cross-channel audiences and improve internal interaction between marketing budget owners, according to a new survey released by Marin Software. Surveying more than 300 digital marketers, Marin Software (
"Advertisers that are not integrating their campaigns across channels and devices are leaving money on the table," said Matt Ackley, chief marketing officer and senior vice president of product at Marin Software. "The old model of each discipline operating within its own silo is counter to how people shop and consume media. Savvy marketers that integrate their data and campaigns stand to achieve a greater return on their ad investments."
Marin surveyed more than 300 digital marketers in the US and UK to understand their cross-channel advertising practices and challenges. Respondents represented companies from a diverse array of industries. The complete survey can be downloaded here.
- Marketing teams remain siloed. When asked how marketing tactics -- paid search, paid social media, content, SEO, display, etc. -- are organized at their companies, less than one third (27%) of respondents said these digital disciplines are totally integrated with one another. Only 24% of respondents said their digital marketing is totally integrated with offline campaigns such as outdoor, TV, and direct mail.
- Mobile is still new. Only 57% of marketers in the US said they optimize campaigns for mobile when they can but do not make mobile a focus of their programs. According to eMarketer, 1.75 billion people worldwide will have used a smartphone by the end of 2014. As mobile adoption continues to grow, marketers will need to ensure their campaigns and sites are mobile friendly.
- Transparent, actionable data needed. Fifty percent of marketers said a lack of transparency into their advertising data across marketing disciplines, including offline ad campaigns and sales, was a challenge for implementing effective cross-channel campaigns. Oftentimes, data is housed in multiple platforms, different departments, or with a third party, presenting a serious obstacle for marketers trying to make sense of ad, intent, purchase, traffic, and audience data.
- Attribution is a key initiative. The survey revealed that 75% of digital marketing managers believe their jobs have become more complicated in the past year. The top difficulty marketers cited is attribution -- the task of determining the impact an ad channel has on consumers' buying experience.
- About Marin Software
- About the Survey
- Follow Marin Software on Facebook
- Follow Marin Software on Twitter
About Marin Software
Marin Software Incorporated (
This press release contains forward-looking statements including, among other things, statements regarding the integration of marketing disciplines, mobile advertising, and attribution. These forward-looking statements are subject to the safe harbor provisions created by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to marketers increasing their spend as a result of any considerations revealed by our survey; the ability of Marin Software platforms to optimize a marketer's particular campaign; adverse changes in general global economic or market conditions; delays, reductions or slower growth in the amount spent on online and mobile advertising; and unforeseen developments in the digital advertising industry generally, technological changes; competition; and the fact that the digital advertising market is an emerging market and rapidly evolving. These forward looking statements are based on current expectations and are subject to uncertainties and changes in condition, significance, value and effect as well as other risks detailed in documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including our most recent reports on Form 10-K and current reports on Form 8-K that we may file from time to time. Marin Software assumes no obligation to, and does not currently intend to, update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2738363