Libya has said it would lift restrictions on exports and production would return to normal levels from close to 0.5M bpd back to 1.3M bpd. Saudi production has also increased by 0.7M bpd to 10.7M bpd in June responding to President Trump’s call for lower prices. Increased production can lead to further pressure on prices.
The USD strengthened to reverse much of its declines yesterday from trade war headlines with stronger PPI data and trouble in emerging market currencies adding to the push higher. The market grew tired of waiting for a Chinese response and put a bid under the dollar while US Senators passed a motion to review tariffs based on national security grounds, opening the way for some of the recent tariffs to be repealed in future. USDJPY roared through the 112.000 level and hit a high of 112.376 overnight. Stocks markets have found support and are attempting to rally higher as the risk off mood fades. US president Trump is meeting with NATO again today before he departs Brussels for the UK.
- Investors will Absorb Latest Tariff News, But Chinese Retaliation on US Crude will Be Game Changer
- Trump’s Trade War: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
- Erdogan’s Biggest War is Inflation: The Turkish Lira in a Free Fall
US Producer Price Index ex Food and Energy (YoY) (Jun) was 2.8% against an expected 2.6% from a previous reading of 2.4%. This data came above the previous reading for last month, beating the forecast and adding to the push higher in prices. The FED will be analyzing this data for developing trends in consumer inflation, with an increase in prices putting upward pressure on inflation. EURUSD moved higher from 1.17248 to 1.17579 after this data release.
Bank of Canada Interest Rate Decision and Rate Statement were released along with the Monetary Policy Report. The Rate Decision came in as it was expected to, with an increase from 1.25% up to 1.50%, the second hike this year after the Bank hiked rates in January. The Rate Statement confirmed that the Banks would like to continue to hike rates at a gradual pace that is data-driven. They said that higher rates are needed to restrain inflation. The Bank said that they are upbeat about the economic prospects for Canada while cautious on trade. USDCAD fell from 1.31446 to 1.30636 as a result of the releases but moved higher to an overnight high of 1.32175, unwinding the entire reaction move down. This was caused by a combination of factors including comments from BOC Governor Poloz in the press conference and Oil price moves.
- EURUSD is up 0.07% overnight, trading around 1.16805.
- USDJPY is up 0.22% in the early session, trading at around 112.255
- GBPUSD is down -0.01% this morning trading around 1.32014
- Gold is up 0.13% in early morning trading at around $1,243.47
- WTI is up 0.23% this morning, trading around $69.68
This article was written by FxPro
This article was originally posted on FX Empire
More From FXEMPIRE:
- Bitcoin – Back in the Red as the Bears Tighten their Grip
- USD/JPY Fundamental Daily Forecast – Could Spike to 113 Handle if US CPI Beats Estimate
- Strong sell on the JPY, Silver tries a reversal
- Cardano’s ADA Technical Analysis – Heading South – 12/07/18
- USD/CAD Making a U-Turn From the Support
- Oil Price Fundamental Daily Forecast – Bearish Factors Piling Up