European Central Bank President Mario Draghi plans to restart purchases of government bonds by November to support the fragile euro zone economy, German news magazine Der Spiegel cited central bank sources on Friday as saying. Draghi's term is due to end on Oct. 31 and International Monetary Fund
The pound hovered around $1.25 on Friday after its biggest daily jump in more than two months in the previous session, though traders were still focused on the growing risks of a no-deal Brexit. A vote by U.K. lawmakers on Thursday will make it harder for Britain's next prime minister to try to
The U.S. dollar rose in early trading on Friday, swinging back into positive territory after the New York Federal Reserve walked back dovish comments from its president the prior day, which had bolstered expectations of an aggressive interest rate cut this month. At a conference on Thursday, New York
Investors will wake on July 24 to a new British prime minister. Boris Johnson, the face of the Leave campaign in the 2016 Brexit referendum, is -- if betting markets are to be believed -- almost certain to capture the majority of Conservative Party members' votes and become the new leader, beating
The euro fell against a rebounding U.S. dollar on Friday and hit a 2-year low versus the Swiss franc, as investors ramped up bets for a European Central Bank interest rate cut as early as next week. Money markets are now pricing in a roughly 60% chance of a 10 basis point rate cut next week, versus
The euro fell against a rebounding U.S. dollar on Friday, as investors ramped up bets for a European Central Bank interest rate cut as early as next week. Money markets are now pricing in a roughly 60% chance of a 10 basis point rate cut next week, versus a 40% chance earlier in the week. Rabobank
The pound edged lower on Friday after registering its biggest daily jump in more than two months in the previous session as traders focused on the growing risks of Britain crashing out of the European Union without a deal in place by end-October. Economists at Berenberg who now assign a 40% probability
At a central banking conference on Thursday, New York Fed President John Williams argued for pre-emptive measures to avoid having to deal with too-low inflation and interest rates. Investors took Williams' remarks along with separate comments from Fed Vice Chair Richard Clarida as another dovish
The party of Volodymyr Zelenskiy, the comedian-turned-politician who became Ukraine's president, looks to have unstoppable momentum ahead of Sunday's parliament vote. The next biggest party has barely more than 10%, meaning Zelenskiy could win commanding control of the assembly for his promises
LONDON--(BUSINESSWIRE)-- Re: Nationwide Building Society EUR 50,000,000.00 MATURING: 22-Oct-2019 ISIN: XS1126271466 PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THE INTEREST RATE FOR THE PERIOD 22-Jul-2019 TO 22-Oct-2019 ...
The European Central Bank (ECB) will next week open the door to an interest rate cut for September, economists have predicted.
The pound could fall to as low as one-for-one against the dollar in the event of a no-deal Brexit, as fears for the future of Britain's economy prompt a mass sell-off of the currency, according to a Wall Street bank.Morgan Stanley said the pound has come under “intense selling pressure” since Theresa
WASHINGTON/SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - President Donald Trump wants a cheaper dollar, saying earlier this month the United States should match what he says are efforts by other countries to weaken their own currencies - giving them an unfair trade advantage. The comments have prompted speculation the
The governor of the Bank of England, Mark Carney, is unlikely to succeed Christine Lagarde as the boss of the International Monetary Fund, European officials said on Thursday, as the European Union was considering four other names for the job. Lagarde resigned as IMF managing director this week after
While expectations of a 25 basis point rate cut are firmly baked into money markets, some investors are gunning for a 50 basis point cut. The Fed is widely expected to cut a total by nearly 75 basis points by the end of the year. "We are certainly seeing more concrete signals emerge from both
The pound rebounded on Thursday after stronger-than-expected retail sales numbers, also finding support from a vote by lawmakers to make it harder for Britain's next prime minister to try to force a no-deal Brexit. MPs approved the final wording of the plan, although an already stronger sterling
Tourists are in for a 'big shock' about how much more expensive holidays are because of the pound's decline, with warnings it could hit the same value as the dollar.
The dollar broadly edged lower against its rivals on Thursday after softer U.S. Treasury yields in the wake of weak U.S. housing data sapped demand as investors focused their attention on a Fed meeting next week. While expectations of a 25 basis point rate cut are baked into money markets, some investors
DGAP-News: InVision AG / Key word(s): Half Year Results/Interim Report 18.07.2019 / 09:03 The issuer is solely responsible for the content of this announcement. * * *P R E S S R E L E A S E InVision AG Presents Financial Results for the First Half Year of 2019 Düsseldorf (Germany), 18 July
Currency traders who were wary of positioning outright for a hard Brexit outcome may finally be throwing in the towel: heavy selling has hit sterling this month and metrics such as derivatives and positioning suggest no respite ahead. The question for the markets and public alike is just how far sterling
Despite a raft of strong U.S. economic data lately, concerns over the U.S.-China trade tensions and weak inflation have turned most Fed officials decidedly dovish. The central bank's first rate reduction in a decade is expected later this month. An average of 14 analysts were bullish on the Indonesian
Expectations have risen sharply that the Bank of Japan's next policy move will be to ease further, a Reuters poll of economists found, as the U.S. Federal Reserve looks set to cut interest rates this month for the first time in over a decade. Three-quarters of economists said the BOJ's next
The European Central Bank will cut its deposit rate in September after signalling a bias to do so this month, according to economists in a Reuters poll who do not expect a turnaround in the euro zone's economic fortunes any time soon. Major central banks on both sides of the Atlantic are under pressure
Fear of ‘hardline’ Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt could push sterling down to mid-80s levels, says Morgan Stanley. The pound’s fall to a two-year low against the dollar could be the start of a no-deal Brexit inspired wave of selling that would push sterling towards a one-for-one exchange rate against